Avocado-Feta Toast with Za’atar

Avocado Feta Toast | AggiesKitchen.com #avocado #healthy

I’ve mentioned this before on the blog, but when my kids go back to school, I get back what I refer to as my special lunchtime meal. Cooking for your family is obviously part of a mom’s job, yes, but it’s so nice to have the chance for one meal to be entirely yours every now and then. Lunch during the school week is that meal where I can really have whatever I’m craving or wanting and not worrying about who likes what and who will eat what. It can be a treat, really.

Avocado Feta Toast | AggiesKitchen.com  #avocado #healthy

Avocado toast is one of my favorite lunches. It’s quick, easy, healthy and tastes absolutely delicious (if you are an avocado lover of course!). The last time I made avocado toast for lunch I decided to play around and change things up a bit. I gently added a little crumbled feta to the smashed avocado and sprinkled it liberally with my new favorite seasoning za’atar (last year I was obsessed with lemon pepper, apparently this year that obsession has evolved into za’atar). The toast was topped with slices of ripe summer tomatoes that turned this into one of my most favorite lunches ever!

Avocado-Feta Toast with Za'atar

A simple yet oh so delicious summertime lunch! Perfect for one, but can easily be doubled to share.

Ingredients

• 2 slices sesame Ezekiel bread, toasted
  • 1/2 avocado, diced
  • 1 oz feta, crumbled
  • a big pinch of za'atar
  • sliced tomato
  • coarse salt and fresh ground pepper

Instructions

1. In a small bowl, gently smash your avocado with a fork. Add in your crumbled feta and gently combine.
  2. Layer your avocado and feta mixture evenly onto each slice of toast. Sprinkle both slices with za'atar. Top with tomato slices and season with salt and pepper as desired.

Notes

Za'atar is my new favorite spice blend. You can find it here in my Amazon store if you can't find in your local gourmet or grocery stores!

22 Responses to “Avocado-Feta Toast with Za’atar”

1. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef posted September 3, 2013 at 7:36 am

This toasty lunch just jumps off the screen – how lovely!

2. Tracey posted September 3, 2013 at 7:46 am

I’m just starting to come around on avocado, and I still haven’t tried avocado toast, but it’s happening soon. Love this idea for a simple lunch, and it’s gorgeous too!

3. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl posted September 3, 2013 at 7:48 am

I want this right now for breakfast!!! Love the za’atar addition!! Enjoy your peaceful lunches!!

4. Kim | Just For Clicks posted September 3, 2013 at 7:53 am

This is why I LOVE your recipes…. I would never have come up with this…. Yet it’s so simple and delicious and healthy that I can quickly treat myself to it! AND you’ve introduced me to yet another new spice I’ve never heard of…. Going to the grocery today and will hunt for it. Looks delish my Friend ~~>> Only wish we could eat these lunches together in person! Beautiful pics as always.

5. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar posted September 3, 2013 at 8:06 am

Mmm what a fabulous dish Aggie! Love this!

6. Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective posted September 3, 2013 at 8:16 am

Gorgeous lunch, Aggie! Look so fresh, light, and super-healthy! Thanks for sharing! :)

7. Tieghan posted September 3, 2013 at 8:36 am

Love this!! Such a perfect lunch!

8. Gerry @ foodness gracious posted September 3, 2013 at 9:26 am

Outstanding! I love za’atar and usually have it on a Lebanese pizza at my fav Lebanese joint…

9. Kevin (Closet Cooking) posted September 3, 2013 at 9:46 am

Super simple and nice and tasty!

10. Angie | Big Bear's Wife posted September 3, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Avocado toast sounds wonderful!

11. Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch posted September 3, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Yum! Avocado and feta cheese on this fantastic toast – wonderful!!!

12. Julia posted September 3, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I just love za’atar..and love finding new ways to use it! What a great idea!

13. Cassie | Bake Your Day posted September 3, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I love making simple lunches for myself. I love these flavors, Aggie!

14. natalie@thesweetslife posted September 3, 2013 at 10:03 pm

my special lunches are always on the weekends when i’m home from work. totally going to remember this!!

15. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen posted September 4, 2013 at 12:34 am

I go through phases of loving one spice or another too! I’ve never tried za’atar but I’m intrigued! I’ll pick some up if I come across it. I love the rare moments when I can really think of what I alone want to eat. Rare indeed!

16. Mary Brady posted September 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

I’ve heard that this toast is delicious, but I’ve never tried a combo quite like this before; I remember the first time I ate feta was on some type of toast or cracker and it was great. I’ll give the avocado a shot mixed with these things :)

17. Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain posted September 4, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I wish I was having this for lunch! Looks delish, Aggie!

18. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com posted September 4, 2013 at 11:24 pm

LOVE avocado toast and with zaatar, it’s even more delicious :)

19. Teresa posted September 5, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Love this! Had it every day since you posted. I’m addicted. :-)

20. Nutmeg Nanny posted September 12, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I wish this was on my plate as I type this!! Talk about perfection :)

1. Pingback: Fresh Fig, Goat Cheese, Honey, and Almond Panini | Aggie's Kitchen