Easy Side Dish: Jicama, Mango and Carrot Salad

by Aggies Kitchen on May 13, 2013

Jicama Carrot and Mango Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

Did all the moms out there have a great Mother’s Day? I know I did. My husband and kids treated me with a relaxing day that started with a delicious French toast and fresh fruit breakfast. The rest of the day was very low key and poolside, my favorite kind. I actually got a ton of reading in, which is what I was hoping for, finally finishing up a book I had been reading for a couple of weeks and starting up a new one. And I didn’t have to wash one dish all day. ;)

(me with the little guy who first made me a Mom…at his 2nd grade class’s Mother’s Day Muffin Breakfast on Friday – it was honestly the sweetest thing ever)

I almost didn’t post this recipe for you, because it’s embarrassingly simple. For me, “simple” seems to be becoming a reoccurring theme in the kitchen – and really, sometimes it’s hard to mess up simple when you have good fresh ingredients like this. Let’s face it, that kind of simple just tastes GOOD.

I had a pile of produce that had to be used up the other night. When I mean pile, I mean random stuff like a whole jicama, some carrots, a mango and limes. There were probably a few other friends in this random pile, but these guys jumped out at me when I was struggling with what to put on the side of some bean and cheese quesadillas I was making for dinner. Well, the answer was right in front of me – and this fresh little salad happened.

I think you’ll love it.

Jicama Carrot and Mango Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

Easy Side Dish: Jicama, Mango and Carrot Salad

Yield: serves 3-4 as a side dish

This lightly dressed refreshing salad brightens up any dinner plate. Serve it alongside simple quesadillas like I did, or make it for your next barbecue. It's fresh and easy, just how summer food should be.

Ingredients

• 1/2 jicama, peeled and diced
  • 1 mango, diced
  • 1-2 carrots (depending on size, mine was huge), shredded
  • juice of one lime
  • 1 tablespoon light oil (I used grapeseed oil)
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. Combine jicama, mango and carrots in a bowl.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, oil and honey. Pour over salad and gently toss. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and taste for seasoning.

Jicama Carrot and Mango Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

My sweet Amber happened to insert herself into this picture I took of our dinner on Instagram. She cracks me up. Don’t feel too sorry for her – she’s fed very well ;)

More easy side dishes from me to you:

Herbed Wild Rice Salad with Toasted Pine Nuts

Corn, Tomato and Basil Saute

Roasted Red Potatoes with Smoked Paprika

Sweet and Sour Garden Peppers

Tieghan May 13, 2013 at 9:35 am

I love everything in this!! Yum!

Deborah May 13, 2013 at 9:35 am

What a sweet picture!! And I totally need this salad. I adore jicama, but don’t eat it very often.

Maria May 13, 2013 at 9:38 am

Love this salad!

Cookin Canuck May 13, 2013 at 11:03 am

It sounds as though you had a wonderful Mother’s Day…I love that photo of you and your little guy. I adore jicama and can imagine how good it would be with mango and carrots.

Ali | Gimme Some Oven May 13, 2013 at 11:25 am

Love all of that color! Happy Mother’s Day to you! :)

Erica May 13, 2013 at 11:46 am

yum! I’m glad you posted this! i think the simplest recipes are often the best. We hung out poolside Saturday- the absolute best! I’m so thrilled that its warm. Glad you had a nice mama’s day! Ours was great too

Rabbit Creek May 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I didn’t think I would like this at first but after trying it out of curiosity, I loved it. Great recipe that you provided.

Melanie Flinn May 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I totally agree, simple is good. I also had a very similar day to yours minus the pool, but no washing dishes was the best treat! Haha!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 13, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Aww, so glad you had a nice Mother’s Day, Aggie! Sounds like it was totally ideal. I’m happy you decided to post this recipe after all, too! Thanks for sharing and have a lovely week ahead.

Shaina May 13, 2013 at 3:08 pm

What a great summer salad! (And the photo is SO sweet!)

Angie May 13, 2013 at 3:27 pm

What a beautiful picture of you and your son! And I have to try jicama now, looks good!

Northwestern Extract May 13, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Simple and healthy. Nice!

Alyssa (Everyday Maven) May 13, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Ha, look at Amber!!!! That sounds awesome – I love Jicama!

Paula - bell'alimento May 13, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I love simple, especially these days : )

Alysa (InspiredRD) May 13, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Yay for simple! Glad you had a great mother’s day :)

Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry! May 13, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Yes! Love easy and healthy side dishes. What a creative combination of ingredients. Nice!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com May 13, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Beautiful photo of you and your sweet kiddo :) Love this salad, so full of flavors and colors!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen May 13, 2013 at 11:36 pm

This looks so refreshing and totally delicious!

Kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts May 14, 2013 at 7:43 am

Aggie,
I love simple veggie dishes, and when the CSA farm share gets going–delayed 2 weeks due to the cold spring here in Ohio :( I fully understand the feeling of seeing many vegetables that need to get processed NOW! This simple side dish looks great, and I bet the flavors of the fresh veg were really highlighted by the fresh lime.

I think Amber thinks she’s going to get a treat!

Aggies Kitchen May 14, 2013 at 9:21 am

Amber is always thinking she’s getting a treat, lol. She lives under our kitchen table!! Ha!

Yes, I was in a CSA for a year and felt the same back then. When I shop I always pick up what looks good, not always the best plan but it keeps me on my toes as far as being creative in the kitchen :)

katie May 14, 2013 at 7:44 am

This sounds so good Aggie! Glad you had a great mother’s day!!!

Jen @ Savory Simple May 14, 2013 at 8:46 am

This salad is such a gorgeous color! What a great combination of flavors, so perfect for Spring!

Marly May 15, 2013 at 11:47 am

I have to feel sorry for Amber…she looks so deprived! Can’t wait to try out this salad!

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste May 16, 2013 at 11:47 am

This looks so incredibly fresh and flavorful, Aggie! Can’t wait to whip it up for summer!

Nutmeg Nanny May 16, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Aw, your son looks just like you! I love a simple side dish, this looks wonderful :)

Liz @ YUM at first bite May 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I made this the other day for a get together with some girlfriends. It was so light and refreshing, completely delicious and beautiful. A huge hit! Thank you!

Aggies Kitchen May 20, 2013 at 10:33 am

Thanks so much for letting me know!! So glad you all enjoyed it!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet May 20, 2013 at 1:21 pm

What a delish salad. I am a huge fan of jicama! Yum!!

shurik May 31, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Great salad. Hope its ok with you if we put a link to your recipe here:

Thanks,

Alex

wendy August 17, 2013 at 12:15 am

Just tried it tonight. I felt it needed a little tang to make it a salad so added a little rice vinegar and that just made it perfect! The husband even liked it. I will be adding this to my box of recipes, perfect for a potluck.

Aggies Kitchen August 18, 2013 at 5:52 pm

great idea to add the rice vinegar! Will try that next time! thank you!