Easy Side Dish: Jicama, Mango and Carrot Salad

Jicama Carrot and Mango Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

Did all the moms out there have a great Mother’s Day? I know I did. My husband and kids treated me with a relaxing day that started with a delicious French toast and fresh fruit breakfast. The rest of the day was very low key and poolside, my favorite kind. I actually got a ton of reading in, which is what I was hoping for, finally finishing up a book I had been reading for a couple of weeks and starting up a new one. And I didn’t have to wash one dish all day. 😉

(me with the little guy who first made me a Mom…at his 2nd grade class’s Mother’s Day Muffin Breakfast on Friday – it was honestly the sweetest thing ever)

I almost didn’t post this recipe for you, because it’s embarrassingly simple. For me, “simple” seems to be becoming a reoccurring theme in the kitchen – and really, sometimes it’s hard to mess up simple when you have good fresh ingredients like this. Let’s face it, that kind of simple just tastes GOOD.

I had a pile of produce that had to be used up the other night. When I mean pile, I mean random stuff like a whole jicama, some carrots, a mango and limes. There were probably a few other friends in this random pile, but these guys jumped out at me when I was struggling with what to put on the side of some bean and cheese quesadillas I was making for dinner. Well, the answer was right in front of me – and this fresh little salad happened.

I think you’ll love it.

Jicama Carrot and Mango Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

Easy Side Dish: Jicama, Mango and Carrot Salad

Yield: serves 3-4 as a side dish

This lightly dressed refreshing salad brightens up any dinner plate. Serve it alongside simple quesadillas like I did, or make it for your next barbecue. It's fresh and easy, just how summer food should be.

Ingredients

• 1/2 jicama, peeled and diced
  • 1 mango, diced
  • 1-2 carrots (depending on size, mine was huge), shredded
  • juice of one lime
  • 1 tablespoon light oil (I used grapeseed oil)
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. Combine jicama, mango and carrots in a bowl.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, oil and honey. Pour over salad and gently toss. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and taste for seasoning.

Jicama Carrot and Mango Salad | Aggie's Kitchen

My sweet Amber happened to insert herself into this picture I took of our dinner on Instagram. She cracks me up. Don’t feel too sorry for her – she’s fed very well 😉

More easy side dishes from me to you:

Herbed Wild Rice Salad with Toasted Pine Nuts

Corn, Tomato and Basil Saute

Roasted Red Potatoes with Smoked Paprika

Sweet and Sour Garden Peppers

Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!

Yum

34 Responses to “Easy Side Dish: Jicama, Mango and Carrot Salad”

1. Tieghan posted May 13, 2013 at 9:35 am

I love everything in this!! Yum!

2. Deborah posted May 13, 2013 at 9:35 am

What a sweet picture!! And I totally need this salad. I adore jicama, but don’t eat it very often.

3. Maria posted May 13, 2013 at 9:38 am

Love this salad!

4. Cookin Canuck posted May 13, 2013 at 11:03 am

It sounds as though you had a wonderful Mother’s Day…I love that photo of you and your little guy. I adore jicama and can imagine how good it would be with mango and carrots.

5. Ali | Gimme Some Oven posted May 13, 2013 at 11:25 am

Love all of that color! Happy Mother’s Day to you! :)

6. Erica posted May 13, 2013 at 11:46 am

yum! I’m glad you posted this! i think the simplest recipes are often the best. We hung out poolside Saturday- the absolute best! I’m so thrilled that its warm. Glad you had a nice mama’s day! Ours was great too

7. Rabbit Creek posted May 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I didn’t think I would like this at first but after trying it out of curiosity, I loved it. Great recipe that you provided.

8. Melanie Flinn posted May 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I totally agree, simple is good. I also had a very similar day to yours minus the pool, but no washing dishes was the best treat! Haha!

9. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking posted May 13, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Aww, so glad you had a nice Mother’s Day, Aggie! Sounds like it was totally ideal. I’m happy you decided to post this recipe after all, too! Thanks for sharing and have a lovely week ahead.

10. Shaina posted May 13, 2013 at 3:08 pm

What a great summer salad! (And the photo is SO sweet!)

11. Angie posted May 13, 2013 at 3:27 pm

What a beautiful picture of you and your son! And I have to try jicama now, looks good!

12. Northwestern Extract posted May 13, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Simple and healthy. Nice!

13. Alyssa (Everyday Maven) posted May 13, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Ha, look at Amber!!!! That sounds awesome – I love Jicama!

14. Paula - bell'alimento posted May 13, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I love simple, especially these days : )

15. Alysa (InspiredRD) posted May 13, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Yay for simple! Glad you had a great mother’s day :)

16. Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry! posted May 13, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Yes! Love easy and healthy side dishes. What a creative combination of ingredients. Nice!

17. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com posted May 13, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Beautiful photo of you and your sweet kiddo :) Love this salad, so full of flavors and colors!

18. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen posted May 13, 2013 at 11:36 pm

This looks so refreshing and totally delicious!

19. Kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts posted May 14, 2013 at 7:43 am

Aggie,
    I love simple veggie dishes, and when the CSA farm share gets going–delayed 2 weeks due to the cold spring here in Ohio :( I fully understand the feeling of seeing many vegetables that need to get processed NOW! This simple side dish looks great, and I bet the flavors of the fresh veg were really highlighted by the fresh lime.

I think Amber thinks she’s going to get a treat!

• Aggies Kitchen posted May 14, 2013 at 9:21 am

Amber is always thinking she’s getting a treat, lol. She lives under our kitchen table!! Ha!

Yes, I was in a CSA for a year and felt the same back then. When I shop I always pick up what looks good, not always the best plan but it keeps me on my toes as far as being creative in the kitchen :)

20. katie posted May 14, 2013 at 7:44 am

This sounds so good Aggie! Glad you had a great mother’s day!!!

21. Jen @ Savory Simple posted May 14, 2013 at 8:46 am

This salad is such a gorgeous color! What a great combination of flavors, so perfect for Spring!

22. Marly posted May 15, 2013 at 11:47 am

I have to feel sorry for Amber…she looks so deprived! Can’t wait to try out this salad!

23. Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste posted May 16, 2013 at 11:47 am

This looks so incredibly fresh and flavorful, Aggie! Can’t wait to whip it up for summer!

24. Nutmeg Nanny posted May 16, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Aw, your son looks just like you! I love a simple side dish, this looks wonderful :)

25. Liz @ YUM at first bite posted May 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I made this the other day for a get together with some girlfriends. It was so light and refreshing, completely delicious and beautiful. A huge hit! Thank you!

• Aggies Kitchen posted May 20, 2013 at 10:33 am

Thanks so much for letting me know!! So glad you all enjoyed it!

26. Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet posted May 20, 2013 at 1:21 pm

What a delish salad. I am a huge fan of jicama! Yum!!

27. shurik posted May 31, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Great salad. Hope its ok with you if we put a link to your recipe here:

Thanks,

Alex

28. wendy posted August 17, 2013 at 12:15 am

Just tried it tonight. I felt it needed a little tang to make it a salad so added a little rice vinegar and that just made it perfect! The husband even liked it. I will be adding this to my box of recipes, perfect for a potluck.

• Aggies Kitchen posted August 18, 2013 at 5:52 pm

great idea to add the rice vinegar! Will try that next time! thank you!

1. Pingback: Jicama, Mango and Carrot Salad | YUM at first bite

2. Pingback: Red Cabbage Salad | Taste and Tell

3. Pingback: Watermelon Jicama Salad with Queso Fresco and Honey-Lime Vinaigrette - taste love and nourish