50 Thanksgiving Side Dishes

by Aggies Kitchen on November 11, 2012

Goodness gracious, Thanksgiving is seriously right around the corner. Like, 10-ish days away around the corner. Not trying to stress you out or anything…

My favorite part of Thanksgiving has never been the turkey or the ham. For me, the star(s) of the meal have always been the side dishes. From sweet potato casserole to all kinds of veggies prepared all kinds of ways to my family’s favorite Italian stuffing…my plate is usually filled to the max with plenty of deliciousness. No disrespect to the turkey, I usually manage to find a spot – though small spot – for a piece of him as well, for the sake of the holiday and all.

Since most of us are already in Thanksgiving menu planning mode, I wanted to bring forward a few Thanksgiving side dish recipes I’ve cooked up for my family over the years, along with plenty of others from friends around the web. Whether you are looking for traditional or want to get a little adventurous this year, there is something for everyone. Happy menu planning!

Cranberry Sauces and Relishes

Apple Orange Cranberry Sauce (shown above)
Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce
Simple and Amazing Cranberry Sauce
Apple Cranberry Tangerine Sauce
Boozy Cranberry Sauce with Port Wine and Cloves
Tequila and Lime Jalapeno Cranberry Sauce
Maple Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry Pear Ginger Relish
Pomegranate Apple Cranberry Relish
Cranberry Orange Walnut Relish

Vegetables

Roasted Green Beans with Shallots and Almonds (shown above)
Panko Crusted Green Bean Casserole
Southern Living Creamy and Crunchy Green Bean Casserole (have made this one many times!)
Fresh Green Bean Casserole with Caramelized Onion Breadcrumbs
Autumn Salad with Pears and Gorgonzola
Broccoli Apple Salad
Onion Gratin with Rosemary and Thyme
Herb Roasted Onions
Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots
Cinnamon and Palm Sugar Roasted Delicata Squash
Cheesy Skillet Scalloped Corn
Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Cranberries and Pecans
Brussels Sprouts Gratin
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar

Stuffing

Italian Thanksgiving Stuffing (my family’s recipe – shown above)
Pineapple Stuffing (would go great with ham!)
Double Bread Stuffing with Brown Butter, Bacon and Sage
Apple Cranberry Stuffing
Sausage Cornbread Stuffing
Chicken Sausage and Herb Stuffing
Wild Rice and Bacon Stuffing
Skillet Stuffing
Portobello Stuffing
Mushroom Fennel Quinoa Stuffing

Potatoes

Southern Living’s Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Topping (a family favorite)
Sweet Potato Cran-Apple Gratin
Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese Breadcrumbs
Smoky and Cheesy Buttermilk Baked Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Red Potatoes with Smoked Paprika
Barefoot Contessa’s Potato-Fennel Gratin
Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes

Breads

Roasted Chile and Cheddar Corn Muffins (shown above)
Cranberry Orange Quickbread
Easy Yeast Rolls
Potato Rosemary Rolls
Cheddar Sage Biscuits
Sriracha-Cheddar Biscuits
Southern Sweet Potato Biscuits
Honey Wheat Rolls

Sandy @ RE November 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Yummy, Aggie! There should be no question on how to plan the menu! Great post!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl November 11, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Ok I want to eat this entire post!!! Thanks for featuring my recipe and thank you for putting everything together in one place for me to share with others!

Alyssa (Everyday Maven) November 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm

My favorite parts of Thanksgiving are hands down stuffing and then Turkey Soup made the next day! What a great list and thank you for including my squash recipe :)

Kalyn November 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I’m getting in the mood. Great round-up; thanks for including me!

patsy November 11, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I’m with you… I’m all about the side dishes when it comes to Thanksgiving… oh, and the desserts, too!

Erica November 12, 2012 at 1:42 am

GREAT post! I’m so excited for thanksgiving. That stuffing looks awesome

Jen @ Savory Simple November 12, 2012 at 8:04 am

Wonderful roundup. I have been such a slacker this year in terms of Thanksgiving planning so I need all the help I can get!

Mary November 12, 2012 at 9:05 am

Lots of great choices! I might try one of those veggie dishes!

Deborah November 12, 2012 at 9:52 am

Love this round up!! Is it bad that I want to try all of them?? (And thanks for including me- xoxo)

Kristi Rimkus November 12, 2012 at 10:38 am

Terrific roundup of recipes to choose from. I’m intrigued by the Mushroom Fennel Quinoa Stuffing. I love anything with quinoa in it! I’m pinning this post for sure.

Cassie | Bake Your Day November 12, 2012 at 10:40 am

Wow, what a list. I want them all!! Thanks for including me! :)

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite November 12, 2012 at 11:02 am

Great post! This will help out anyone looking for some Thanksgiving help!

Bree November 12, 2012 at 11:53 am

Great collection!

Paula - bell'alimento November 12, 2012 at 12:04 pm

What a great resource roundup Aggie!

Rachel Cooks November 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Love this round-up! And that Italian Stuffing?!?! Oh my–yummmm!

Rachel - A Southern Fairytale November 12, 2012 at 11:14 pm

AWW thank you, friend! I’m honored to be included.

This whole list makes me hungry!!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen November 12, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Your family’s Italian stuffing looks really amazing and I totally dig any recipe from Southern Living, I may have to add those potatoes to my menu!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective November 13, 2012 at 8:20 am

Wow, wow, wow! What an amazing resource. Love the sounds of that portabella stuffing. :)

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles November 13, 2012 at 11:03 am

I’m going to make that cranberry sauce next week, yay!! Thanks so much for including my skillet scalloped corn. Happiest Thanksgiving to you, my friend.

Heather @ esmoothies November 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I’m getting so excited about Thanksgiving! What could be better than food, family, & fellowship?

My personal favorites: Green Bean Casserole & Sweet Potato Casserole (w/nuts, not marshmallows)

carrian November 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Goodness!!! That’s a lot of work lady! Thank you for your sweet comment on Rachel cooks, ps. You’re wonderful. I’m determined to meet you soon

Melanie @ Nutritious Eats November 14, 2012 at 1:22 am

Thanks sweetie! I can’t wait to look through this list! What a big help it will be!

Angie November 14, 2012 at 9:59 am

What a great collection of recipes!

Joanne November 15, 2012 at 7:54 am

This is definitely the post I needed to see today! Still haven’t started T-Day menu planning yet…but today is the day!

Shari-Tickled Red November 15, 2012 at 9:29 am

Oh my word! Looove this round up! I’m with you Aggie, sides rule on Thanksgiving and I am giddy with excitement :D xoxo

nike dunks November 16, 2012 at 5:03 am

Very good.Thank you very much

Rebecca Schmorr November 16, 2012 at 9:22 am

Great post! I was thinking of doing a pot-luck this week and I can send this to the girls to spur up some ideas. Thank you!

Danijela November 19, 2012 at 10:34 am

I love this collection, especially these amazing vegetable recipes. Lovely post Aggie. Thanks! :)

Miranda November 19, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Thanks, Aggie.
I’m between choosing about normal treat of cranberry sauce like the same two years or finding new ones.
Your choices are brilliant. I’m about to try ‘Tequila and Lime Jalapeno Cranberry Sauce’. Sound’s great.

Matthew Carey January 19, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Thanks for these fantastic dishes. Even though Thanksgiving has passed, they are making me so hungry… Going to use one tonight! :)

Aggies Kitchen January 22, 2013 at 12:35 pm

oooh, so which one did you make?? Glad you found the post!!

Cookin Canuck November 14, 2013 at 3:00 pm

There are so many great recipes on this list! I am a “stuffing” girl through and through, and want to make every single recipe on your list.

Kim Beaulieu November 15, 2013 at 10:26 pm

What a fabulous list. So handy right now, we tend to celebrate both the Canadian and American Thanksgivings. Not too shabby for me and my belly I must say. I have to say I’m a potato girl. I cannot resist.

Kate@Diethood November 16, 2013 at 12:56 am

I want it all!! Oh my… I want to start with your family’s stuffing… that sounds SO! GOOD!
I eat a sliver of turkey, the rest is side dishes. And dessert, of course!

Aggies Kitchen November 18, 2013 at 10:45 am

Oh yes, dessert too! :) I’m with you on the sliver of turkey…and I highly recommend you trying my family’s stuffing, even if not for Thanksgiving! My kids love having it for dinner too when I remember to make it… :)

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes November 16, 2013 at 8:40 am

There really is something for everyone!