My Spice Kitchen: Celery Seed

Celery seed made a random appearance in tonight’s dinner. It’s not a spice I really pay much attention to, but for some reason I always happen to have a small jar of it hanging around in the spice cabinet. I find myself using it most often when I am putting together a dressing for the occasional slaw or salad (like this one) and it always adds a little extra something-something as far as flavor goes. Would you agree?

Who knew?

• Celery seed is an excellent source of vitamin C.
  • These little seeds have blood pressure reducing qualities.
  • A primary use of celery seed is as a diuretic.
  • A little goes a long way as far as flavor – use celery seed to add zest and freshness to your vegetables, fish, soups and salad dressings.

(Source)

I’m thinking I need to break out this little jar a little more often.

As a matter of fact, this Spicy Mixed Pickle recipe from Shari caught my eye earlier today and it just happens to have a little celery seed action in it.

(Photo Credit: Tickled Red)

Um…yea, I want that. I’ve been thinking of those crisp pickled veggies all day long.

You know what else I’ll be thinking about for a while? This Collard Green Coleslaw I made tonight. I have been working my way through a 2 lb bag of shredded collard greens that I just had to buy earlier this week (I think it’s safe to say that I’m the only one in my family excited about the greens in my fridge right now). I was craving something fresh tonight, and I was also in need of clearing out some odds and ends in the veggie drawer (this is where a few carrots and a red pepper come in). It was a win-win and I’ll be enjoying this salad for quick lunches (and a boost of nutrition!) for the next day or two I’m sure.

This salad came together so so easy, and made such a healthy and refreshing side dish. I honestly couldn’t believe I had every single ingredient on hand and I had no intention of changing any part of the recipe. I know raw collard greens seem a little unusual for a salad ingredient, but after a few hours in the fridge, they lost a bit of the toughness they are known for and made for a refreshing side dish perfect for summer.

Printable recipe for Collard Green Coleslaw via Vegetarian Times.

After a quick Twitter exchange I had with Julia this afternoon (after sharing this recipe with her) I realized I needed to find new ways to keep this little spice jar more active in my kitchen (and that maybe you did too?). Here are a few ideas in case you have some celery seed to use up:

Key West Grilled Salmon

Basic Barbecue Rub

Cajun Spice Mix from Tide and Thyme

Bloody Mary Salt from Chow

Celery Soda from Foodie with Family

Homemade Bloody Marys from Brooklyn Supper

Apple, Raisin and Celery Seed Slaw from Feast on the Cheap

Warm Potato Salad with Bacon and Onion from Add A Pinch

Potato-Artichoke Salad from Coconut & Lime

Delores’s Egg and Olive Sandwiches from Foodie with Family

Buffalo Chicken Sliders from Farmgirl Gourmet

18 Responses to “My Spice Kitchen: Celery Seed”

1. Heather (Heather's Dish) posted July 26, 2012 at 10:15 pm

definitely one of those spices that’s way overlooked…i love celery seed!

• Aggie posted July 27, 2012 at 7:31 am

It really does! Have a great weekend!

2. Sheila posted July 27, 2012 at 12:15 am

I use celery seed all the time. Especially loved in tuna salad!

• Aggie posted July 27, 2012 at 7:32 am

I would never think to put it in tuna salad, I’m going to try that!

3. IdaBaker posted July 27, 2012 at 5:02 am

I’m with both Heather and Sheila on this one, love celery seed. Thanks for the new idea about how to use it!

• Aggie posted July 27, 2012 at 7:33 am

I was surprised at how many recipes include it, I’ll definitely be using it more now!

4. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen posted July 27, 2012 at 10:34 am

My mother-in-law uses celery seed a lot and it is always wonderful. I will have to pick some up at the grocery store. Love that slaw!

5. Cassie posted July 27, 2012 at 10:46 am

You know, I so rarely use celery seed. I need to change my ways!!

6. Jen @ Savory Simple posted July 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I love using celery seed and caraway seed in coleslaw. Adds such an interesting flavor! This looks lovely.

7. Karlie posted July 27, 2012 at 8:50 pm

How funny! I literally just combed through my spice cabinet last night and thought to myself, “how can I use this celery seed?”, and now I’ve got some great inspiration thanks to you! Thanks for sharing!

8. Rose T. @ Cake Recipes from Scratch posted July 28, 2012 at 5:50 am

I have used celery seeds for years… and don’t think I can live without it. :)

9. Bev @ Bev Cooks posted July 28, 2012 at 9:20 am

Ooo I love celery seed! Now I’m inspired to use something with it. Right now. For breakfast. Maybe not breakfast.

10. Melanie @ Nutritious Eats posted July 28, 2012 at 10:43 am

Yes, I don’t use it often either! However I do put it in my coleslaw dressing which I just made 2 nights ago. It really does add some zing! Have a great weekend Aggie.

11. Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet posted July 28, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Thank you for the mention Aggie. I love celery seed and surprisingly enough, I use it quite often. A healthy pinch in potato salad is awesome…love this coelslaw recipe too. Thanks again. Xo

Heather

12. marla posted July 28, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I don’t pay much attention to celery seed either, but from the sound of it I should change that!

13. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted July 29, 2012 at 10:23 pm

There is definitely something to be said for celery seed. I first took notice of it when I would pickle with Mom. And then my favorite cole slaw from my aunt is loaded with it. I’ve started adding it to many salads and pickled veggies now. Yum!

14. Tickled Red posted July 30, 2012 at 8:22 am

To be honest my celery seeds are so neglected, but no longer. Love the slaw and all of the recipes that you found!! Thank you so much for sharing mine as well :D xoxo

15. Marly posted August 14, 2012 at 10:08 am

I love celery seeds because my family doesn’t like celery so much. I just keep a bottle of celery seeds handy so I can sprinkle some on my dishes and get that nice, subtle celery taste. Ahh, life is good. Can’t wait to try that coleslaw recipe!