Breakfast for dinner….Sweet Potato Hash

by Aggies Kitchen on March 27, 2011

Every time I tell the fam we are having breakfast for dinner I always get a unanimous “yaaaaaay”. Seems to be popular in other households too. My favorite thing to eat when it comes to breakfast for dinner is usually an egg dish of some sort. Kids prefer pancakes or waffles. Husband will eat pretty much anything.

IMG_5745

I was feeling lazy Saturday night so I decided it was going to be a BFD night. I wanted simple over medium eggs and a bagel, but was craving something more than just fruit on the side. I found a lonely little (well medium) sweet potato in the pantry along with some red onions. I chopped them into a small dice (skin still on the potatoes) and threw them into a hot skillet with a little bit of oil. I spiced them up with a pinch of Aleppo pepper, another pinch of smoked paprika, and of course salt & pepper. It took them no time to cook up and they turned out to be a perfect company to my fried eggs.

Of course a little green Tabasco made them that much better.

Do you like breakfast for dinner?

IMG_5718

Simple Sweet Potato and Red Onion Hash
Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled or unpeeled, diced small
1 medium red onion, diced small
a pinch of Aleppo pepper, or your favorite chili powder
a pinch of smoked paprika
a pinch of garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste

In a hot skillet over medium high eat, add olive oil and diced sweet potatoes. Let cook for about 5 minutes until slightly browned. Add onions and cook for an additional 4 minutes till soft. Add pinches of chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 or so minutes until potatoes are soft.

Delicious under a over easy egg, and with some green Tabasco sauce.

Other Sweet Potato Hash inspirations:

Sweet Potato Hash with Adobo and Fried Tomatoes by Vanilla Sugar

Sweet Potato Burritos by Vanilla Sugar

Sweet Potato Hasbrowns by Sweet Pea’s Kitchen

Oven Roasted Sweet Potato Hash by The Other Side of Fifty

IMG_5710

Shannon Hilson March 27, 2011 at 8:33 pm

That looks awesome! I had something similar last night. My first fried egg, if you can believe it. Now I must try it with some sweet potatos, which I do have.

Wenderly March 27, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I LOVE breakfast for dinner! This sweet potato hash looks *heavenly*!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen March 27, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I love sweet potatoes!!! And BFD…my husband is not a fan of BFD so we usually only do it when he isn’t home. This is definitely a plate that I would happily eat ;)

Jersey Girl Cooks March 27, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Love breakfast for dinner. I will have to make some sweet potato hash soon.

bellini March 27, 2011 at 9:52 pm

After a very large lunch at a local event I didn’t feel hungry until I visited here.

Melanie Flinn March 27, 2011 at 10:01 pm

LOVE breakfast for dinner. So many options and everything is pretty simple. This looks tasty!!

Erica March 27, 2011 at 10:01 pm

HUGE fan! We actually had it tonight! I made vegan style french toast. The hash looks yummy. I actually have a random sweet potato hanging out in the cabinet- I should make a hash out of it. Hope you had a nice weekend.

fittingbackin March 27, 2011 at 10:06 pm

This looks wonderful! I love brinner – although I DON’T do it enough – sad. I like the idea of this recipe though!! I don’t have nearly enough sweet potatoes in my life. :)

Jamie March 27, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I love doing breakfast for dinner. What a great way to use up that lonely sweet potato.

Fallon March 27, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I like BFD but it is something my boyfriend doesn’t believe in. Growing up they had their 3 square meals and breakfast for dinner just isn’t appropriate… I’ll have to show him how yummy it can be sometimes. ;)

The hash looks great and I love the green sauce! So good!!

Chili Dude March 28, 2011 at 1:11 am

You inspired me to make breakfast for dinner tomorrow night!!
Thanks

RJ Flamingo March 28, 2011 at 7:44 am

Every so often we like to change things up and have breakfast for dinner – or even turn leftover dinner into breakfast. Who made these rules, anyway? :-D Love the idea of this hash and the pepper perk-up!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel March 28, 2011 at 9:51 am

I love breakfast for dinner! Really breakfast whenever and probably more any other time of day than the morning lol.

Maria March 28, 2011 at 11:34 am

Looks so good! I love sweet potatoes!

marla March 28, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Breakfast for dinner is the hottest thing in my house. This hash looks amazing :)

Megan March 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm

We have breakfast for dinner but I haven’t done sweet potato hash. Now I want to!

Victor @ RandomCuisine March 28, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Nothing wrong with some healthy sweet potatoes for breakfast.

Pam Capone March 28, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Breakfast for dinner is my husbands favorite. We do that at least once a month

Amanda March 29, 2011 at 7:28 am

I love breakfast for dinner! Sweet potato hash sounds marvelous!

paul jennette March 29, 2011 at 9:30 am

LOVE Breakfast for dinner! I usually find myself having egg white omelets with some fresh fruit. I love the idea of the sweet potato hash, its my wife’s favorite veg and I always have some on hand. Will defiantly try this out.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. March 29, 2011 at 9:47 am

I love breakfast for dinner, and anything with sweet potatoes! Hope you are well!

natalie (the sweets life) March 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm

ahh I have this on my blog too—one of my all-time favorites!

Maris (In Good Taste) March 29, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Oh yes I love breakfast for dinner and I am definitely going to make your sweet potato hash

Kiran March 29, 2011 at 5:07 pm

These looks so delish! I am all up to have breakfast for dinner. In fact, breakfast are my favorite :)

Liz March 29, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I have been on a HUGE sweet potato kick lately, muffins, biscuits, casserole… the list goes on and on. I have always enjoyed sweet potato hash though especially with a runny egg!

patsy March 30, 2011 at 8:37 am

I love breakfast for dinner! I know I’ll be doing that more often with baseball getting started again!

Mags March 30, 2011 at 10:45 am

Thanks for including my breakfast hash link. It’s one of my favorite breakfasts. And yes, I eat it for dinner too!

Cara March 30, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I love breakfast for dinner – or pretty much any pile of veggies topped with an egg! Sweet potatoes are right up my alley too. Looks great!

JulieD March 31, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I love BFD and your sweet potatoes look awesome!

Shelby April 1, 2011 at 6:01 am

Everytime I see a dish with eggs cooked this way I wish I could eat them! I have such a hard time getting past the yolk….This looks great though and maybe I will just give it a try again. I’ve been able to make an omlette the last few weeks and eat it without recourse! lol. Great dish Aggie!

Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food April 6, 2011 at 7:59 am

We eat breakfast-for-dinner at my house at least once a week and it always elicits “yaaah”s with my family too. And what a great idea to cook sweet potatoes, one of our favorite vegetables, as hash browns. With the seasoning you’ve used, they would also be excellent as a dinner-for-dinner side dish too!