Southwestern Slaw

by Aggies Kitchen on February 10, 2011

It’s really funny how recipes come about sometimes. Like this slaw for instance. It was totally inspired after a conversation with my friend Allison on the sidelines of our boys’ basketball game. Now of course we were watching the game…but for some reason…food always seems to take over sneak into our conversations. You may remember Allison from our trip to Napa last fall…as a matter of fact, she’s popped up quite often around here.

IMG_4731

I love a good fresh, crunchy cole slaw.  I know some people turn their nose up at slaw, but I think if it’s made right, with fresh veggies and just the right dressing, then it is totally delicious.  I took a short cut with this slaw by starting out with a bag of Fresh Express 3 Color Deli Cole Slaw mix, which always looks the best to me. You could always go all out and shred your own cabbage, but if you are in a pinch for time and looking for something easier then a bag of this will definitely work. I added in some extras to make it a little more special…shredded carrots, red bell pepper, grilled corn, green onions and cilantro.

Don’t you just love all the color?

IMG_4795

Southwestern Slaw

Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

1 bag of shredded slaw mix
2 carrots, shredded
1 red bell pepper, sliced very thin and cut in smaller pieces
2 green onions, sliced
2-3 ears grilled corn (kernels sliced off) or 1/2 cup frozen corn (cooked)
handful of chopped cilantro
1 cup chipotle or spicy ranch (I used Marie’s Chipotle Ranch)
2 tablespoons mayo (I used reduced fat)
a few splashes apple cider vinegar
fresh ground pepper

In large bowl combine ranch dressing, mayo, vinegar and black pepper. Taste for seasoning. Add vegetables (minus cilantro) and toss until fully dressed. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled. Toss in cilantro right before serving.

******************************************************************************************

You may have noticed it looks a little different around here.  Aggie’s Kitchen got a little makeover recently,  thanks to Cory of Zesty Blog Consulting and Zesty Cook. I can’t tell you how excited I am about my new space…I have lots of ideas bubbling in my head and will hopefully get it together to finally share them with you. I hope you find the site easier to navigate and to find what you are looking for. I’m still in the process of updating the recipe index so bear with me there…I didn’t realize how much cooking I have done over the last almost 3 years!

A couple of things that I really love:

The “Print Friendly” button at the end of each post should make it easy to print what you need for each recipe. What’s cool about this little tool is you can include as much or as little from the entire post…for example, you want to print the recipe, not the pictures, but part of the post where I may have talked about how I made the recipe and/or what products I might have used. Play around with it and you’ll see what I mean…

“Aggie’s Kitchen Amazon Store” has existed for quite some time but I had never dedicated an entire page to it. Here I will feature what cookbooks I own or want, what tools I love to use or wish I had and anything else related to my kitchen that I think you should know about. If you shop through my store I do receive a little piece of commission, and I assure you, any money I make goes straight to my refrigerator and pantry, so I appreciate your support.  :)

Stay connected to me outside of the blog through the “Social Media buttons”. I’m a bit of a social media addict, it makes the world such a smaller place and I think that is just so cool. I love to use Facebook and Twitter to release my pent up chatter, especially when it comes to food. I’m constantly taking pictures of what I’m cooking, what I’m growing, where I’m eating and of course, my kids. I love it when I hear from a reader through social media, I have received many questions and requests for menu planning…so please, if you need to talk food, talk to me!!

Working with Zesty was a great experience. He is easy to work with, obviously talented and understands the blogging world very well. He’s also a great cook so have fun checking out his blog if you haven’t already!  Thanks so much for all of your work Cory!

Erica February 10, 2011 at 9:33 am

I LOVE slaw! But the dressing must be just right! I like either no mayo or just a hint. Yours looks fabulous- so colorful! The corn is an awesome addition :) And I like the new look too! I’ve been MIA for a week but will finally have a post up tomorrow. Hope you’re doing well :)

crystal February 10, 2011 at 9:39 am

This looks really good Aggie. I’ve been looking for a slaw recipe for a while now. I’m going to try this one out for my sons birthday party! Looks delicious!!

Eliana February 10, 2011 at 10:01 am

Now this is one mighty fine lookin slaw. Love all the different texture and flavors you have going on in here.

Maria February 10, 2011 at 10:04 am

Love this one Aggie!

Ashley K. Edwards February 10, 2011 at 11:33 am

I can do slaw if it’s really, really, really light on the mayo. Not a mayo fan!

kathleen February 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I can’t believe how amazing bagged shredded cabbage is! This slaw sounds totally fabulous! I love the color. Fabulous photos too!!!

melissa @IWasBornToCook February 10, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Love it. I love those bags of shredded cabbage – I’ve made a few different types of slaw myself from them. So convenient, and delicious!

Cajun Chef Ryan February 10, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Oh yeah babe! Love me some kicked up slaw! The cilantro and spicy ranch are great!

Susan February 11, 2011 at 8:24 am

Wow! Great combination of ‘crunch’ and I love the spin on the slaw dressing! I am bookmarking this recipe for my first grilled chicken of the season … right now, we have three plus feet of snow on the ground, but someday that grill will come back out of the garage! Have a great weekend, dearie!

Megan February 11, 2011 at 10:55 am

Looks like a great slaw with a little kick!

Allison February 11, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Looks delicious Aggie!! Sending a big Hug your way, my great friend!!!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. February 11, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Great one. I will definitely try this

Kim @ Quit Eating Out {Recipes to Make Dining Out a Choice, Not a Chore} February 12, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Oh I just love your new space! This looks awesome!!!! So happy for you. Thank you so very much for linking to Saturday Swap with this amazing recipe creation. It makes me think of warmer weather and cookouts. Can’t wait to try it. Have a wonderful weekend Friend!!

Carolyn February 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm

This slaw is so colorful, just beautiful and sounds delicious. I love the use of that Marie’s dressing. I use those dressings often but have never tried that one. I now have an excuse to do so.

Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

Kristy @momhatescooking February 12, 2011 at 8:49 pm

This looks delicious, love your site design!!

Jamie February 13, 2011 at 8:18 am

What a colorful bowl of slaw. I like the spicy dressing you used. You know I love your new site. Looks awesome!

Melanie Flinn February 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm

This looks delicious!! The make-over looks great too!

Bren February 13, 2011 at 9:29 pm

slaw is such a great Southern American tradition and so many varieties make it great for burgers, sandwiches and on its own… and isn’t it great how food always sneaks into conversations! :)

Kim-Liv Life February 13, 2011 at 10:55 pm

For the first 42 years of my life I turned my nose up and any and all slaws. I had one when I was little that was soggy and dripping with a mayo-like dressing and it was horrific. However!! I’ve recently discovered some like this one, zesty flavors and no drippy mess. My husband will love the flavors in this one. Printed and ready to go! Thanks!

Cookin' Canuck February 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm

This is so pretty, Aggie and I love that you added the smoky flavor of grilled corn to this.

Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food February 15, 2011 at 7:46 am

I’m a slaw fancier from WAY back and love the colorful combination of ingredients you’ve used in this one. Adding the spicy kick of chipotle and the crunch of fresh corn are inspired ideas!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen February 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm

It is a beautiful color! I love a good slaw! It is a humble and highly underrated dish – but here it shines! Love it!

Food Frenzy February 20, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Amazing looking slaw. A must try at our house.

We invite you to share this post and some of your favorite posts on Food Frenzy.
Please check out our community.

Jenna February 21, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Love me a good slaw! Beautiful pic!

Kirstin March 20, 2011 at 12:21 am

this looks amazing. Going to save it and make it for sure!

Tina June 28, 2011 at 7:15 am

Found your blog through my sister’s (The MerryGourmet). I made the southwestern slaw for a picnic and it was such a huge hit that my family asked for it again the next day! It was delicious!

Becky at Vintage Mixer July 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I got a bag of cole slaw from our local food co-op and it literally stared at me in the fridge for a couple of weeks before I threw it away. I just have never had a cole slaw that I really enjoyed but this looks fabulous. Wish I had this recipe a few weeks ago :)

Lisa March 22, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I just happened to come across your blog and this recipe. I make a very similar green salad (including using Marie’s Chipotle Ranch), but I also add one can of drained and rinsed black beans and about a cup of diced jicama. (Shredded jicama would work better in the slaw). I also top my salad with some Fresh Gourmet tortilla strips (if I don’t have time to make homemade ones). I am looking forward to tweaking my green salad to a slaw. It sure looks tasty!