Southern Living’s Spicy Pistachios

IMG_4630

Since Super Bowl Sunday is coming up, I thought I’d put this recipe up to share with you since it would be a perfect one to serve your friends while watching the game and drinking a nice cold beverage.  I love pistachios, even more so with the shell still on.  I don’t mind the work.  These pistachios have such a nice kick to them from the chipotle, but with a hint of of cinnamon lingering in the background.  It’s really a great flavor combination.  They are a little different from your traditional bowl of mixed nuts and are great to have around when you’re feeling snacky.

Try ‘em, you’ll like ‘em.

IMG_4642

Spicy Pistachios
Recipe from Southern Living

(printable recipe)

3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups shelled dry-roasted pistachios (about 8 cups unshelled

In large mixing bowl, stir together first 5 ingredients, add pistachios, tossing to coat. Arrange pistachios in a single layer on a lightly greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes. Let cool. Store in an airtight container.

IMG_4633

33 Responses to “Southern Living’s Spicy Pistachios”

1. Erica posted January 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

You have the best super bowl recipes. I’m coming over for the game :) And how awesome is Southern Living and all of their fabulous recipes? Both Mandi & I subscribe. I love a good kick to any of my dishes and these sound super tasty

2. heather posted January 28, 2011 at 11:15 am

Pistachios are usually the one nut I leave out of mixes or shy away from when making spicy/sweet batches of a single nut because all that shelling … makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it. Obviously you can buy shelled pistachios, but I don’t like those as much for some reason. Never would’ve thought to mix them up with the shell still on. It’s genius! Plus, I think shelling the pistachios as you go along is half of the fun of snacking. Helps me keep track of how many I’ve eaten!

Cheers and thanks for sharing,

*Heather*

3. Caneel posted January 28, 2011 at 11:22 am

I LOVE pistachios! I’ll be trying this one – they look delicious!

4. Lauren Slayton posted January 28, 2011 at 1:09 pm

these sound and look fantastic. Interesting ingredient combination. I also love your photos.

5. bellini valli posted January 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I would definitely love these Aggie!!!

6. Maria posted January 28, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I love that these have a kick!

7. My husband and son will LOVE these! Great recipe. Thanks for sharing….

8. muppy posted January 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm

these look delicious, i always just have them salted but this looks great.

9. Cookin' Canuck posted January 28, 2011 at 5:14 pm

What a fantastic way to dress up one of my favorite nuts. I am definitely making these for the Superbowl!

10. kathleen posted January 28, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Oh man these look good. I love pistachios!

11. Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) posted January 29, 2011 at 2:39 am

I love the combination of flavors- can’t wait to try this recipe!

12. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme posted January 29, 2011 at 7:43 am

What a great idea! Instead of the usual peanuts or spiced pecans, a spiced pistachio. Why didn’t I think of that??

13. leslie posted January 29, 2011 at 8:18 am

I love love love pistachios, shelled or not. When I was a kid I always remember my Dad having red stained finger from his red pistachios.

14. Aggie, thanks again for linking to Saturday Swap!!! This sounds awesome…..

15. marla {family fresh cooking} posted January 29, 2011 at 9:14 am

Aggie, such a fun way to serve up pistachios! We love pistachios & must try these with a spicy kick :) Have a great weekend.

16. Mrs. Jen B posted January 29, 2011 at 9:37 am

Hmmm, and here I was, wondering what to do with that bag of pistachios that I meant to make cookies with but never got around to… ;-)

Looks awesome!

17. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. posted January 29, 2011 at 10:24 am

These sound great! Perfect for superbowl!

18. Victor @ Random Cuisine posted January 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

That’s an interesting way to use pistachios instead of eating it as it is. How creative!

19. Eliana posted January 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Spicy nuts are such a treat and so easy to prepare. These look mighty perfect.

20. fooddreamer posted January 30, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Now this is a great recipe! I am bookmarking. Superbowl or not, I will make these for sure.

21. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted January 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I think I’ve had every other kind of spiced nut imaginable, EXCEPT pistachios. And I love pistachios. These sound wonderful, especially with that Worcestershire sauce!

22. Megan posted January 30, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I never imagined eating pistachios that way–brilliant! Thanks for sharing :)

23. Cajun Chef Ryan posted January 31, 2011 at 10:51 am

Oh Aggie, I could eat a pound of these tasty nut treats. I bet they are some spicy too with the chipotle chile!

24. wandering educators posted January 31, 2011 at 10:37 pm

YUM. huge towels for each person’s lap!!

25. Jamie posted February 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Pistachios are one of my favorite nuts. I love shelling them. What a different way to spice them up. Perfect for game day!

26. melissa @IWasBornToCook posted February 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Aggie, I want to pass on a Stylish Blogger Award to you.
    Come over to my blog to pick it up. Don’t feel obligated to accept it. I just want you to know how much I enjoy reading your blog.

27. Amy Kelly posted February 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I’m making these right this very moment! I’ve been eying these for a couple of weeks now and can’t wait to try them. I just LOVE pistachios.

28. veronica d posted December 12, 2014 at 1:44 am

These spicy little treats are making great Christmas gifts for neighbors, friends and clients. I’m packing them in paper cones made from Christmas wrap with curly ribbon to tie them up! They are festive and yummy and everyone likes them! Thanks for the recipe.

• Aggies Kitchen posted December 12, 2014 at 5:13 am

Awesome idea!!Thanks for letting me know. I love your packaging idea!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Southern Living's Spicy Pistachios | Aggie's Kitchen -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Best Super Bowl Recipes | recipegirl.com

3. Pingback: Snack Time: Spiced Up Pistachios | Family Kitchen

4. Pingback: FREE LIST: Top 150 Best 2014 Super Bowl Recipes and Treats - Free Things to Do in Chicago | What to Do in Chicago | Free Museums | Free Events | Freebies