Southern Living’s Spicy Pistachios

IMG_4630

Since Super Bowl Sunday is coming up, I thought I’d put this recipe up to share with you since it would be a perfect one to serve your friends while watching the game and drinking a nice cold beverage.  I love pistachios, even more so with the shell still on.  I don’t mind the work.  These pistachios have such a nice kick to them from the chipotle, but with a hint of of cinnamon lingering in the background.  It’s really a great flavor combination.  They are a little different from your traditional bowl of mixed nuts and are great to have around when you’re feeling snacky.

Try ‘em, you’ll like ‘em.

IMG_4642

Spicy Pistachios
Recipe from Southern Living

(printable recipe)

3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups shelled dry-roasted pistachios (about 8 cups unshelled

In large mixing bowl, stir together first 5 ingredients, add pistachios, tossing to coat. Arrange pistachios in a single layer on a lightly greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes. Let cool. Store in an airtight container.

IMG_4633

31 Responses to “Southern Living’s Spicy Pistachios”

1. Erica posted January 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

You have the best super bowl recipes. I’m coming over for the game :) And how awesome is Southern Living and all of their fabulous recipes? Both Mandi & I subscribe. I love a good kick to any of my dishes and these sound super tasty

2. heather posted January 28, 2011 at 11:15 am

Pistachios are usually the one nut I leave out of mixes or shy away from when making spicy/sweet batches of a single nut because all that shelling … makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it. Obviously you can buy shelled pistachios, but I don’t like those as much for some reason. Never would’ve thought to mix them up with the shell still on. It’s genius! Plus, I think shelling the pistachios as you go along is half of the fun of snacking. Helps me keep track of how many I’ve eaten!

Cheers and thanks for sharing,

*Heather*

3. Caneel posted January 28, 2011 at 11:22 am

I LOVE pistachios! I’ll be trying this one – they look delicious!

4. Lauren Slayton posted January 28, 2011 at 1:09 pm

these sound and look fantastic. Interesting ingredient combination. I also love your photos.

5. bellini valli posted January 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I would definitely love these Aggie!!!

6. Maria posted January 28, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I love that these have a kick!

7. My husband and son will LOVE these! Great recipe. Thanks for sharing….

8. muppy posted January 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm

these look delicious, i always just have them salted but this looks great.

9. Cookin' Canuck posted January 28, 2011 at 5:14 pm

What a fantastic way to dress up one of my favorite nuts. I am definitely making these for the Superbowl!

10. kathleen posted January 28, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Oh man these look good. I love pistachios!

11. Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) posted January 29, 2011 at 2:39 am

I love the combination of flavors- can’t wait to try this recipe!

12. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme posted January 29, 2011 at 7:43 am

What a great idea! Instead of the usual peanuts or spiced pecans, a spiced pistachio. Why didn’t I think of that??

13. leslie posted January 29, 2011 at 8:18 am

I love love love pistachios, shelled or not. When I was a kid I always remember my Dad having red stained finger from his red pistachios.

14. Aggie, thanks again for linking to Saturday Swap!!! This sounds awesome…..

15. marla {family fresh cooking} posted January 29, 2011 at 9:14 am

Aggie, such a fun way to serve up pistachios! We love pistachios & must try these with a spicy kick :) Have a great weekend.

16. Mrs. Jen B posted January 29, 2011 at 9:37 am

Hmmm, and here I was, wondering what to do with that bag of pistachios that I meant to make cookies with but never got around to… ;-)

Looks awesome!

17. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. posted January 29, 2011 at 10:24 am

These sound great! Perfect for superbowl!

18. Victor @ Random Cuisine posted January 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

That’s an interesting way to use pistachios instead of eating it as it is. How creative!

19. Eliana posted January 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Spicy nuts are such a treat and so easy to prepare. These look mighty perfect.

20. fooddreamer posted January 30, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Now this is a great recipe! I am bookmarking. Superbowl or not, I will make these for sure.

21. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted January 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I think I’ve had every other kind of spiced nut imaginable, EXCEPT pistachios. And I love pistachios. These sound wonderful, especially with that Worcestershire sauce!

22. Megan posted January 30, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I never imagined eating pistachios that way–brilliant! Thanks for sharing :)

23. Cajun Chef Ryan posted January 31, 2011 at 10:51 am

Oh Aggie, I could eat a pound of these tasty nut treats. I bet they are some spicy too with the chipotle chile!

24. wandering educators posted January 31, 2011 at 10:37 pm

YUM. huge towels for each person’s lap!!

25. Jamie posted February 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Pistachios are one of my favorite nuts. I love shelling them. What a different way to spice them up. Perfect for game day!

26. melissa @IWasBornToCook posted February 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Aggie, I want to pass on a Stylish Blogger Award to you.
    Come over to my blog to pick it up. Don’t feel obligated to accept it. I just want you to know how much I enjoy reading your blog.

27. Amy Kelly posted February 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I’m making these right this very moment! I’ve been eying these for a couple of weeks now and can’t wait to try them. I just LOVE pistachios.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Southern Living's Spicy Pistachios | Aggie's Kitchen -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Best Super Bowl Recipes | recipegirl.com

3. Pingback: Snack Time: Spiced Up Pistachios | Family Kitchen

4. Pingback: FREE LIST: Top 150 Best 2014 Super Bowl Recipes and Treats - Free Things to Do in Chicago | What to Do in Chicago | Free Museums | Free Events | Freebies