Watermelon Mojitos

by Aggies Kitchen on August 9, 2010

IMG_1944

So what if it’s Monday and I am thinking about sipping on one of these.  Nothing wrong with that!

I discovered this perfect summer drink on Dara’s site not long ago.  I met Dara at evo ’10, and shared a few laughs with her during our Food & Photography Workshop that we attended.  I connected with her right away and it’s a shame that we live across the country from each other…I wouldn’t mind making another trip out west to visit Dara, Maria and Jyl!

Dara of Cooking Canuck taking care of the lobster...oh my!

(Dara is one talented chickie…awesome cook, takes gorgeous photographs and is not afraid to take on this lobster!!)

If you’ve got some serious mint growing like I do, then go get yourself a watermelon right now while they’re sweet and treat yourself to one – or a couple – of these amazing drinks.  Enjoy!

IMG_1948

Watermelon Mojito

Recipe courtesy of Cookin’ Canuck

(printable recipe)

3 cups 1/2-inch cubes watermelon
12 medium to large fresh mint sprigs
6 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp granulated sugar
6 oz. light rum
4 lime slices
4 mint sprigs

Place watermelon cubes in a blender. Blend until smooth.

In a small pitcher, combine fresh mint leaves, sugar, and fresh lime juice. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, muddle the ingredients to release the oils from the mint. Take care not to muddle to the point where the leaves fall apart. Pour rum and the watermelon puree into the pitcher and stir gently.

Cookin' Canuck August 9, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Aggie, thanks so much for posting about these mojitos. I’m so glad you enjoyed them. I haven’t actually made them since I first posted the recipe, but you have inspired me to pull out my blender again. Great photo of the mojito!

Cookin' Canuck August 9, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Oops, I hit “submit” too soon. I thoroughly enjoyed having a chance to meet you at EVO and I hope we are able to meet again soon. You’re a sweetheart!

Erica August 9, 2010 at 7:43 pm

oww oww that looks fab! I’m not a big drinker, but I’d break for one of them ;) Watermelon is just amazing right now

Stephanie August 9, 2010 at 10:00 pm

This drink looks incredible! I once had a watermelon martini that was to die for so I’m sure this drink would be just as good!

Kerstin August 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Sounds so refreshing and delicious – I wish I had one right now!

jenna August 9, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Sweet! Get the blender fired up…I’m coming over.

Alison August 10, 2010 at 8:41 am

I wish I had the chance to meet at EVO but we’re meeting now. Your site is great, and this looks awesome!

bellini vali August 10, 2010 at 9:24 am

This is my way to enjoy this essential summer fruit.

Jenn's Food Journey August 10, 2010 at 9:33 am

Oh, that looks sooooo good! Perfect for a warm summer day… and night!!!

fittingbackin August 10, 2010 at 2:51 pm

ooooh this is something I could get on board with! Love!

HoneyB August 10, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Looks so cook & refreshing!!!

marla August 10, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Dara is rocking that Lobster and you are with this Watermelon Mojito! I bet you gals had tons of fun together at evo. One day we all need to be at the same place at the same time :)

Natalie (The Sweets Life) August 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm

what a perfect summer drink! I’ve had a watermelon margarita, never a mojito, but you’ve convinced me to try!! :)

Mags August 12, 2010 at 9:39 pm

It is so stinking hot here right now that all I can think about is drinking drinks like this. This looks so refreshing!

Liz August 14, 2010 at 8:36 pm

These look amazing, great photos!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 15, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Oh my yum.

If I wasn’t a couple weeks away from having a baby I’d be drinking that as we speak. I have all the ingredients!

megan @ whatmegansmaking August 16, 2010 at 9:37 am

that looks so delicious and refreshing! I don’t usually like the taste of alcohol, but I’d be willing to try that :)

Cajun Chef Ryan August 16, 2010 at 11:52 am

With all the fresh mint in our garden we make our fare share of mojitos! But hey, it’s 5 o’clock somewhere right!

Bon appetit!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen August 17, 2010 at 11:42 am

This looks incredibly refreshing! Enjoy one for me, Aggie!

Kaffeemaschine mit Thermoskanne August 28, 2010 at 8:49 am

Hello, i´m from france so my english knowledge is not that amazing. Please dont blame me. I read blogs to improve my english and i have to say that your blog was perfect readable for me, because the english is really clear and all the posts are perfect readable. I will come back, to improve my english even more. Thanks a lot :)

We are not Martha September 21, 2010 at 9:10 am

WOW! Even though the fall chill has started up here in Boston, these watermelon mojitos look fantastic. I’ll have to bookmark them for next summer ;)

somehow just now discovered your blog! and LOVE it! [chels]

JulieD May 23, 2011 at 10:33 am

I love mojitos! I must try this. Thanks, Aggie! Photographs are beautiful!

Caneel May 23, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Oh these look delish and so refreshing! I think I may make some without the rum and just add a touch of extract so my girls can enjoy them with me! :)

JennieK July 11, 2011 at 1:46 pm

First of all, I admire your blog. I started one, abandoned it shortly thereafter, started again and let it go by the wayside. I’m going to make one of these mojito’s….if it’s excellent, I’ll post it to the blog and give you full credit!

by the way: i googled “watermelon mojito” and out of the whole list of results I choose yours because:
1. it’s what i was looking for…a watermelon mojito
2. i plan on drinking them with a friend…who’s middle child’s nickname is Aggie
3. it was originally posted on August 9th, 2010….which was my 7th wedding anniversary! Kismet!!

Thanks again!

Kristen September 1, 2011 at 11:10 am

I love watermelon and watermelon juice so I guess watermelon mojito is perfect for me. Adding fresh mint leaves, sugar, and fresh lime juice seems a wonderful idea too. I agree that your friend Dara is very daring while taking the lobster. As for the recipe, maybe I should buy a blender so that I could try this recipe.

DVR670 Review