A Taste of Spring with Cooking Light

by Aggies Kitchen on March 3, 2010

This month’s Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club theme was picked by Val of More Than Burnt Toast.  I love it…Spring is my absolute favorite time of year.  I’m sure I am not alone with that sentiment.  How can you not love seeing all the green start popping up after winter (especially after a winter like this past one!)…

IMG_9502

What I love most about spring is the feeling of freshness it brings.  Open windows, pleasant temperatures, lots of new fruits and vegetables, I just want to be outside all the time.  And for me, all of this goes hand in hand with eating lighter and fresher…and this recipe gave me just that.

I picked Spring Giardiniera for this month for a couple of reasons:

1. It was super simple 2. It was super healthy 3. It looked like a perfect way to snack on vegetables that can sometimes get a little boring.

I served the crunchy pickled veggies at a get together and they were quite a hit.  I continued to snack on them for days afterwards…especially right around that time of day right before dinner when I notice I tend to snack “mindlessly” on things that are probably not so good for me.  I put a plate of this on the counter while I was cooking and it definitely did the trick.

To view the recipe for Spring Giardiniera click here

IMG_9505

The ladies of CL’s Virtual Supper Club put together a great menu to celebrate Spring’s arrival…

Jamie made … Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

Val made … Rosemary-Crusted Rack of Lamb with Balsamic Sauce

Shelby made … Zucchini Ribbons with Saffron Couscous

and for dessert Helene baked up some Raspberry-Almond Crumb Cake

Enjoy!

bellini valli March 3, 2010 at 7:21 am

Now I have a name for it Aggie. My Italian friend made what she called pickled vegetables and U love them with some crusty bread. Thank you so much for bringing thius to our supper club this month.

Jamie March 3, 2010 at 7:26 am

This does look like a great way to eat your veggies. It’s a bowl of happy vegetables. Looks great Aggie! I’m going to check out the recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us this month.

patsy March 3, 2010 at 8:43 am

I need to make this! I am always so hungry as I make dinner and need something healthy & yummy to nibble. Your photos are gorgeous!

sandi @ the whistlestop cafe March 3, 2010 at 9:32 am

I have made an appetizer of fresh pears and pancetta~ thanks for letting me come for supper!

Cara March 3, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Just the other day in the supermarket I almost bought a jar of gardinia. Now why the heck should I do that when making my own would be so easy? Good thing I didn’t!

Bob March 3, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Looks wicked good, love all the colors.

Diana Merrell March 3, 2010 at 7:38 pm

This is calling my name. Love the color.

HoneyB March 3, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Looks great Aggie! I’m with Bob, loving the colors!

Sandy March 3, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Oh yummy, Lady – it al sounds delic!

Ella March 4, 2010 at 4:53 am

And where is the meat? :)

Hélène March 4, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I would enjoy a big bowl of this Spring Giardiniera. You picture is really good.

Amy(Super Healthy Kids) March 4, 2010 at 9:17 pm

That is my “mindless eating” time of day too. It’s so easy to snag something in the pantry, then out of the fridge while you are in the kitchen, but if you are going to be mindless about eating, it might as well be veggies.

Jenn (j3nn.net) March 4, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I love vegetables, they are so colorful and tasty! Not to mention filling. :)

Jenn

Bridgett March 11, 2010 at 11:47 am

Just look at the color! I love recipes such as this. This is beautiful, Aggie.

Patty March 11, 2010 at 10:46 pm

That salad looks so beautiful, bright, and fresh! Thanks for posting, it made my day.

Cooking kidney beans January 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Carry out the actual drudgeries of day to day residing disappear completely even though your house is on a vessel….unlikely. It will be wonderful to consentrate which living on-board a boat for some reason scammed out an individual …Recipes