Barefoot Contessa’s Roasted Eggplant Spread

by Aggies Kitchen on August 27, 2008

Eggplants are in season right now and I picked up a pretty one the other day. I always want to make eggplant parmasean when I buy eggplant, but since I haven’t had any luck with making that yet I always change my mind and make this dip instead. It is so healthy and flavorful it’s hard not to eat the whole thing in just a couple of sittings. And it’s incredibly easy too.

I originally saw this spread made on Barefoot Contessa, and when I purchased her first cookbook I was happy to see the recipe in there. On the show she sprinkled crumbled feta cheese on it and I now think that is a must for serving this dip. I like to eat mine with Triscuits but it is great with baked pita chips. If you want to get fancy, serve it at a get together on a plate with pita chips, feta, olives, hummus, stuffed grape leaves and any other Mediterranean delicacy. Enjoy!

PS…there is another Barefoot Contessa Roasted Eggplant Spread out there…it’s a bit different and I’ve never tried it although it sounds just as good. If you’ve tried it let me know, it has tahini and lemon juice in it. The one I make can be found in her Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.

Roasted Eggplant Spread
Recipe from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

1 medium eggplant, unpeeled (I never peel mine)
2 red bell peppers, seeded
1 red onion, peeled
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 TB good olive oil (Publix brand was good enough for me!)
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 TB tomato paste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut the eggplant, bell pepper, and onion into 1 inch cubes. Toss them in a large bowl with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes until the vegetables are lightly browned and soft, tossing once during cooking. Cool slightly.

Place the vegetables in a food processor fitted with a steel blade, add the tomato paste and pulse 3 or 4 times to blend. Taste for salt and pepper.

Don’t forget to send me your Game Day recipes for the upcoming
Food and Football event!

Bookmark and Share

Mary Ann August 27, 2008 at 8:28 pm

I would love this! I tried an eggplant hummus a while ago and really liked it, but this looks even better. The veggies are so pretty!

Kevin August 27, 2008 at 10:07 pm

This roasted eggplant dip sounds really good!

Bridgett August 28, 2008 at 1:32 am

I love this recipe!! Yours not only looks gorgeous but I can just imagine how wonderful it smells. Looks like I need to feed my own craving soon. Give eggplant parmesan a try, you can do it!!

Lisa August 28, 2008 at 4:34 am

I will be making this soon! A good healthy dip!

Pamela September 3, 2008 at 7:04 pm

This looks so delicious!! I love eggplant.

Katerina September 3, 2008 at 8:15 pm

This is just such a great dip isn’t it? I made this version into a soup once and it was excellent.

Heide M. April 13, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Can’t wait to try this. Nice idea of using eggplant.

Lex August 29, 2011 at 11:30 am

This recipe looked so good, even though I am the only eggplant lover (and eater…) in this house. I LOVE it!!!! and not only is it so good that I could eat it with a spoon, makes a wonderful spread for my daily lunch sandwich and as a bonus it made the house smell delicious. Thank you so much for testing and sharing :)! Hope you were not too badly affected by Irene.

kevin A January 2, 2013 at 1:27 pm

this looks like the same recipe that the barefoot contessa had on her show, is it?
it is a Very good tasting dish.

Aggies Kitchen January 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it on her show (a while ago) – one of my favorites!