- 1 13 oz box whole wheat pasta (I used rotini, but use your favorite or whatever you have on hand)
- 1 lb fresh Italian chicken sausage (precooked smoked sausage can be used here too!), cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 – 3/4 14oz package of frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 – 3/4 package julienned sundried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine (or chicken broth or even pasta water)
- additional 2–3 tablespoons olive oil for drizzling before serving
- pinch salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- grated parmesan cheese for serving
- Prepare pasta according to directions.
- While pasta is cooking, add 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add onion and cook a few minutes until softened. Add wine (or any other cooking liquid such as chicken broth or pasta water) to deglaze bottom of skillet. Add frozen broccoli and sundried tomatoes and saute until broccoli is soft and everything is warmed and cooked through.
- Drain pasta (scoop out 1/3 cup of pasta water first) and add directly to skillet. Add pasta water and gently toss. Season liberally with salt and freshly ground pepper. Turn off heat. Drizzle with additional olive oil and toss until incorporated throughout. Serve with red pepper flakes (optional) and lots of grated Parmesan cheese.
I used fresh Italian chicken sausage that was only slightly defrosted – this made cutting it into 1 inch pieces a lot easier. Pre-cooked smoked sausages are a great substitute as well.