- 1 1/2 lbs fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch-long pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can red kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic press (or minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper
- Heat vinegar, sugar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Steam green beans in a large pot with 1 cup water with 1 tablespoon salt added to it; cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, fill medium bowl with ice water. When beans are done, immediately add to ice water to stop cooking process; let sit until chilled, about 2 minutes. Drain well.
- Add green beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans and onions to a large bowl. Pour dressing over salad mixture and gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours (or overnight) to let flavors meld. Toss salad with dressing occasionally while chilling.
Dressing makes a large amount but is used more as a marinade for the salad so you will have a lot leftover at the bottom of the bowl. Be sure to occasionally stir salad when in fridge so it is distributed to all the beans.
Serve with a slotted spoon.
Salad can be covered and refrigerated up to 4 days.
Recipe inspired by Mixed Salad Annie
Keywords: green beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, onion