- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cubabelle peppers, diced
- 3 zucchini, diced
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 cans white beans, drained
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup green salsa
- 1 cup water
- 3 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- pinch coarse salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat your olive oil over medium heat. Add your onion and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add your peppers and zucchini and cook for an additional 5 minutes until all the vegetables start to soften and are fragrant. Add cumin, oregano, salt and pepper to vegetable mixture and stir.
- At this time add your beans, broth, salsa and whole chicken breasts. Cover pot and bring to a slow boil. Let simmer for 30-45 minutes until chicken is cooked through (take a fork and pull apart to check).
- Once chicken is cooked through, pull out onto a plate or cutting board and carefully shred into small pieces using two forks. Add shredded chicken back into the soup pot and cook uncovered for another 10-15 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust.
- Serve with lime, fresh cilantro, cheese or Greek yogurt as toppings.
Slow cooker instructions: Reduce chicken broth amount to 3 cups and eliminate 1 cup water. Add ingredients to slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours. Cook uncovered for about 30 minutes to thicken up (optional).
I use this slow cooker and love it.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 270
- Fat: 4g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 36g