- 3–4 chicken breasts
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- bunch fresh basil leaves
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound whole wheat pasta
- Cook pasta according to directions on box.
- Season both sides chicken with olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Place over hot grill over medium heat. Cook for approximately 4-6 minutes on each side, depending on thickness. You can tell chicken is cooked through when juices run clear when pricked with fork or knife. Or cut through thick portion of chicken to check. After you take chicken off grill, cover with aluminum foil and let rest, chicken will continue to cook on its own for a few more minutes.
- Pour canned whole tomatoes and their juices into a large bowl. Using your hands, gently squeeze tomatoes until crushed. Continue to crush until it reaches a thin, but still chunky, consistency.
- In medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add minced garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes till fragrant. Carefully add crushed tomatoes to garlic and olive oil. Bring sauce to a boil, then lower to simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add torn pieces of fresh basil to sauce and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve grilled chicken and whole wheat pasta with chunky tomato sauce, sprinkled with shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.