- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 medium head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (I used the green pepper and onion variety)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 small cans of mushrooms, drained (or 8 oz containers sliced mushrooms)
- a good pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium, cook onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add your ground beef and continue to cook until browned.
- While beef is browning, shred your cabbage by cutting in half, removing the core, then cutting in quarters. Slice each quarter into thin pieces. Set into a large casserole dish.
- Top shredded cabbage with browned beef, mushrooms, diced tomatoes and sauce. Add about a 1/4 – 1/3 cup water to sauce cans to “clean” them out and add the saucy water to the cabbage mixture. Sprinkle everything with dried oregano, salt and pepper. Bake for about 60 minutes in 375 degree oven until sauce is bubbly and cabbage is cooked through.