- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 8 oz containers sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (I used the green pepper and onion variety)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- a good pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium, cook onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add your ground beef and continue to cook until browned. Add fresh mushrooms to meat mixture and continue to cook until mushrooms are cooked through.
- While beef is browning, shred your cabbage by cutting in half, removing the core, then cutting in quarters. Slice each quarter into thin pieces. Set into a large 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Top shredded cabbage with browned beef, mushrooms, diced tomatoes and sauce. Add about a 1/4 – 1/3 cup water to sauce cans to “clean” them out and add the saucy water to the cabbage mixture. Sprinkle everything with dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 60 minutes in 375 degree oven until sauce is bubbly and cabbage is cooked through.