- 1 lb (16 oz) dried split peas, sorted and rinsed
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- big pinch kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Add your ingredients to the slow cooker, starting with the split peas on the bottom.
- Cook on High for 4-5 hours or Low 8-10 hours. Stir well to combine ingredients before serving. Taste for salt and pepper, adjust to your liking.
- Soups like this split pea soup tend to thicken up in the refrigerator so be sure to add a little water to your soup before reheating in the microwave or the stovetop.
- I used grape tomatoes because they are what I had on hand but plum tomatoes or even a can of diced tomatoes would make a great substitute.
- You’ll need a slow cooker to make this recipe as written, but it can easily be adapted to stove-top.
Keywords: slow cooker split pea soup, slow cooker soup, crock pot soup, split pea soup, vegetarian soup