- 2 tablespoons ghee or bacon drippings
- 1 lb bulk uncooked sweet Italian chicken sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 large bunch kale, leaves removed from stems and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat the ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken sausage to the pan and break it up into small bits as it cooks.
- When the most of the sausage is cooked, add the onion to the pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the onion begins to soften and become translucent. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for another minute or so. Transfer the sausage mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add the sweet potato cubes, kale, chicken stock, vinegar and red pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours (or 3 to 4 hours on high).
- Taste and add more salt or vinegar if necessary before serving.
Keywords: paleo, slow cooker, crock pot, sweet potato, sausage, kale