- 2lbs skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bottle of barbecue sauce (preferably a fruity one i.e. guava, mango or papaya. I used Tom’s Guava BBQ Sauce found at Fresh Market, check your specialty markets or grocery stores for similar products) —- (see edit note below)
- 2 splashes balsamic vinegar
- medium onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup raisins
- salt and pepper, to taste
- your favorite sandwich buns (I used Arnold’s Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins)
- Place chicken breasts into slow cooker and sprinkle salt and pepper to both sides. Add sliced onion and raisins. Pour 3/4 bottle of barbecue sauce and 2 splashes balsamic vinegar over chicken and combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When cooking is complete, take 2 forks and gently pull apart chicken breasts. Take remainder of barbecue sauce and pour over chicken and combine. I like to add a little water to the bottle and swirl to pick up any leftover sauce and add that as well. Let shredded chicken sit in crock-pot uncovered for about 15 minutes to warm up in additional sauce.
- Add shredded chicken to your favorite sandwich bun and enjoy!
If you are unable to find “fruity” barbecue sauce (like I was unable to today), try adding a couple of teaspoons of mango chutney and/or fruit preserves. I added mango chutney to sweeten up the sauce and give it a little something something from the tropics. 🙂