- 2 pounds beef chuck shoulder pot roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 cups Burgundy or other dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram leaves, crushed
- 8 ounces baby carrots (about 1–3/4 cups)
- 8 ounces fresh pearl onions, peeled or frozen pearl onions
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cut in half if large
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Lightly coat beef with flour. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/2 of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining beef, adding oil as needed. Remove beef from stockpot and into slow cooker; season with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 cup water to stockpot and deglaze beef drippings. Add this broth to slow cooker.
- Stir in wine, tomato paste, garlic and marjoram. Add carrots, onions and mushrooms.
- Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
Recipe adapted by Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner
Keywords: beef, crock pot, slow cooker