- 1 cup quinoa, pre-rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups fresh spinach, torn or sliced thinly
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa first according to directions. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer cooked quinoa to a bowl. Add almonds, sunflower seeds, cranberries and half the dressing. Place in refrigerator for at least one hour to cool completely and so quinoa can absorb the dressing.
- When ready to serve salad, add spinach and rest of dressing to quinoa and nut mixture. Gently toss to combine. Season with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
If I’m storing a salad like this in the fridge to eat over a few meals (as opposed to serving all at once), I like to freshen my individual serving up with a couple of splashes of vinegar and a light drizzle of oil before eating.