4 chicken breasts
1 TB chili powder
1 TB smoked paprika
1 TB pasilla chili powder
1 TB garlic powder
3 TB diced fire-roasted green chiles (I use these)
salt and pepper
2–3 TB olive oil
2 large red or green bell peppers, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
flour or whole wheat tortillas
Pico de Gallo, optional
Sour Cream, optional
Shredded Cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine chicken breasts with chili powders, garlic, paprika, chopped chilies and olive oil (I eyeballed my measurements so adjust yours to your liking). Using tongs, toss chicken breasts until completely coated. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place cast iron fajita skillet onto rack on lowest setting. Keep in hot oven until ready to serve fajitas.
- Using a preheated grill or grill pan, cook chicken breasts, approximately 5 minutes on each side (depending on thickness). Once chicken is cooked, transfer to cutting board and let rest before slicing.
- In a hot nonstick skillet, with about 1-2 TB olive oil, saute sliced peppers and onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 8 – 10 minutes, until softened.
- Slice cooked chicken breasts into long thin strips. When ready to serve, pull out fajita griddle out of the oven using the hot handle holder and place on wooden underliner. Add a few drops of olive oil to skillet, add chicken, peppers and onions and toss to combine. Squeeze juice of 1/2 lime over chicken and veggies. Ready to serve!