Break out the vegetables for this light and savory Italian Vegetable Beef Soup recipe. It’s loaded with great vegetables like zucchini, squash and carrots. Healthy (and easy) comfort food!
- 2 tb olive oil
- 2 zucchinis, quarter chopped
- 2 squash, quarter chopped
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 cups green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- good pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 32oz can of Italian diced tomatoes, with juices
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 – 1.25 lb lean ground beef or bison, cooked and crumbled
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- In large stock pot, heat 2 tb olive oil and add zucchini, squash, carrots, garlic and onions. Cook for about 8 minutes until starting to soften. Add seasonings, tomatoes and chicken broth to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Add green beans and cooked ground beef. Simmer soup for about 20 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve with Parmesan cheese and cooked pasta if you like.
Note: amounts of vegetables can be varied. Use what you have on hand.