My family’s Italian Stuffing made with sausage, pasta and spinach … a recipe my grandmother made for our family for as long as I can remember – it’s my favorite part of Thanksgiving!
- 2.5-3 lbs ground Italian pork, turkey or chicken sausage, removed from casing (I prefer turkey sausage)
- 1 lb box of Ditalini pasta (short tubes), cooked
- 2 10 oz boxes of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed/drained well
- 5 -6 eggs, beaten
- 1 14 oz bag of herbed stuffing (I use Pepperidge Farms, blue bag)
- 2-3 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook 1 lb Ditalini pasta as directed. When cooked, drain and set aside to cool.
- While pasta is cooking, crumble and brown Italian pork, chicken or turkey sausage in large saute pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine pasta and sausage in a large mixing bowl. Add chopped spinach to bowl and stir to combine. Add herbed stuffing and continue to stir. Taste and season with salt and pepper, then add beaten eggs to mixture and mix well.
- Pour stuffing mixture into lightly greased baking dishes (I usually use corningware). Pour chicken stock evenly over stuffing. Cover the casseroles and place into 350 degree oven for about 30 – 35 minutes until cooked through and starting to brown. At this point, take cover off casseroles and let cook for another 5-10 minutes so top gets golden brown and crunchy.