- 1.5 lb ground bison (or buffalo) meat
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- good pinch coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- your favorite barbecue sauce, for basting
- 5 slices of pepper jack cheese
- hamburger buns
- shredded lettuce
- caramelized onions (see this post for instructions on how to caramelize onions)
- barbecue sauce
- In a large mixing bowl, gently combine ground bison with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Divide meat mixture into 5 even sections and form into patties. When forming, gently press down your thumb in center to help keep it’s shape and avoid turning into a meatball on the grill.
- Pre-heat your grill to medium high heat. Place burgers on grill. Cook for 6-7 minutes on each side (for medium well – well done burgers). After first flip, brush cooked side liberally with your favorite barbecue sauce. Once burger is cooked through, quickly flip and brush other side before taking off the grill. Transfer to top rack of grill (or plate) and place a slice of pepper jack cheese on each burger.
- For serving: Place each burger with cheese on your hamburger bun. Top with extra barbecue sauce (if desired), caramelized onions and shredded lettuce. Dig in.