- 1 lb tomatillos
- 1/2 lb poblano chiles
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano (use regular oregano if you don’t have Mexican)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans (15.5 oz) BUSH’s Cannellini Beans, with liquid
- 2 TB chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 4 cups Swiss chard, stemmed, cut 1 inch wide strips
- salt and pepper, to taste
* Optional Toppings
- Salsa Verde (purchased)
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Sonoma Pesto (see recipe below)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 serrano chile
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts or peanuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 ounces olive oil
- zest and juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400°F.
2. Place tomatillos and poblano chiles on sheet pan. Roast in oven until peppers have blistered and tomatillos are soft. Remove from oven. Place tomatillos in blender. Once poblanos are cool enough to handle, remove seeds and skins. Add to blender, blend until smooth.
3. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan. Add onions, cook until caramelized, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and oregano, cook until aromatic.
4. Add tomatillo mixture, cook for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
5. Add stock, beans and their liquid. Bring to simmer, cook for 20 minutes.
6. Add cilantro, chicken and chard. Bring to a simmer, cook for 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Combine all pesto ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Drizzle the pesto on top of the chile verde and finish with salsa verde, as desired.