- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 1 – 1.25 lb lean ground beef
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper (pinch of each)
- 2 15 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 3/4 cup water (swirl around tomato cans to pick up leftover bits)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or beef broth
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, cut into thin strips
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook for 3-5 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add lean ground beef and crumble using a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until beef is completely browned.
- Add 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes, water and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then back down to a simmer. Let simmer for about 15 minutes. Add Swiss chard to soup and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Keywords: soup, vegetable soup, beef, healthy beef recipe