- 5 pounds whole chicken
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed (note: toast seeds in warm skillet first until fragrant for additional flavor!)
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup or honey
- 1 each green pasilla chile*
- 1 each jalapeño pepper*
- 4 each corn tortillas (6 inch)
- 1 can (15 ounces) BUSH’S® Black Beans or BUSH’S® Reduced Sodium Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 wedges lime
- Aluminum foil
- Grill pan
- Clean out inside of chicken, rinse chicken inside and out with cold water. Pat dry with paper towel and cut chicken into pieces.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and lightly cover with oil. Mix cumin seeds with agave syrup and set aside.
- Set one side of clean, well-oiled grill to medium high heat and the other side to medium low heat. When grill is hot, using tongs, place chicken skin side down on hot side of grill until there are nice grill marks (about 5 minutes). Then flip chicken over (skin side up), place on cooler side of grill, close grill lid and let chicken cook (3-5 minutes for breast meat; 12 minutes for bone in leg/thigh meat).
- In the last two minutes of cooking, brush cumin seeds and agave syrup on both sides of chicken and cook each side for one minute. Chicken is done when internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from grill and let rest at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Using metal tongs blacken chile and jalapeño peppers on the grill for 3 minutes per side. Place chile and jalapeño in small bowl, cover with foil tightly. Let sit for 10 minutes. Once cool, wipe skin off (do not rinse under water). Discard stems. Discard seeds (unless you want it spicier). Chop chile and jalapeño into ½-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Using metal tongs, place tortillas on the grill for 30 seconds on each side or until slightly charred. Chop tortillas into ¾-inch strips.
- Pour black beans in medium-sized grill-safe pan. Add chile, jalapeño, tortillas, chicken stock, paprika and ¼ teaspoon salt. Place the pan directly on the grill and heat just until mixture comes to a boil. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool briefly.
- Serve chicken with a side of black bean stuffing and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
*Substitution: Use ½ cup canned roasted chiles in place of green pasilla chile and jalapeño pepper.
Note: this recipe was written for cooking on the grill, but of course a grill pan and skillet on the stove top will work just as well!
Recipe created for BUSH’S® Beans exclusively by Chef Jeffrey Saad, culinary expert and television host of numerous food-and cooking-related shows.