- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 TB unsalted butter (I don’t use the butter, just olive oil)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature (I use reduced fat)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (I use light)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use light)
- Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8 inch half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt and pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachement and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix mell. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
recipe found in The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook