Harvest Farro Salad
Harvest Farro Salad is chock full of goodness and so much flavor – a delicious vegetarian grain salad to serve over the fall and winter season. Would be a tasty addition to holiday potlucks too! This recipe was created in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill, thank you for supporting the brands that support Aggie’s Kitchen!
Have you all tried farro yet? I’ve shared a few recipes using it here (like this Garden Farro Salad with Feta and Italian Tuna and White Bean Farro Salad – you must make both!). Farro is amazing – and for so many reasons. It’s a hearty whole grain with a lot of oompf to it, quite the opposite of quinoa or couscous. It’s got so much texture and a nutty flavor that I love, which is why I enjoy it so much in salads like this. Here’s the other thing I love about it, it’s got 7 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber in it. It will fill you up and make you feel good. Salads like this are perfect option for lunches in my opinion. A no brainer.
I mentioned this in my last post, but I feel like we are in a weird in-between place with produce seasons. Lots of apples and pears yes, but a lot of other economical or seasonal options. It may be where I shop so I’m determined to hit my favorite produce market more often to shake things up. I took advantage of what I had plenty of – apples, pears and clementines – plus a few other fall-inspired goodies (dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds) and pulled together this fresh and tasty Harvest Farro Salad.
Just in time for you to take it to a holiday potluck too!
It’s a nice break from the heavy comfort food we eat this time of year that’s for sure. The brightness from the Clementine Vinaigrette pairs up perfectly from the sweetness of the apples, pears and cranberries. You can add feta or even goat cheese to it if you want (originally that was in my plan), but I decided I wanted to keep it clean. But, the feta or goat cheese would be a tasty addition, especially if using this recipe for entertaining.
Enjoy your holiday week!!
Harvest Farro Salad
Yield: 4 main dish servings
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Farro, uncooked
- 1 large crisp apple, chopped small (I used Pink Lady)
- 1 large pear (or 2 small pears), chopped small
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped small
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup Clementine Vinaigrette
- big pinch coarse salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Optional: crumbled feta cheese
- Prepare farro according to directions. Let cool completely in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Add chopped apple, pear, celery, cranberries and pumpkin seeds to cooled farro. Gently toss with Clementine Vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately at room temperature or chilled.
- If not serving immediately, you may need to add additional dressing to freshen it up before serving. Be sure to add the dressing before refrigeration to prevent apples & pears from browning.
Recipe created for Bob's Red Mill.
More farro to try:
Black Bean Farro with Avocado | Reluctant Entertainer
Balsamic Chicken and Broccoli over Farro | Dine & Dish
Kale Salad with Farro and Honey Dijon Dressing | Rachel Cooks
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill, I was compensated for my time in creating this recipe and post. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Aggie’s Kitchen!
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Aggie’s Kitchen and have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email here. Happy cooking!
There are affiliate links in this post. I make small earnings through any purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting Aggie’s Kitchen!