Cherry Tomato and Blue Cheese Salad

Cherry Tomato and Blue Cheese Salad Recipe | AggiesKitchen.com  #tomatoes #summer #picnic #salad

‘Tis the season for fresh garden tomatoes! Sadly, I can’t say these beautiful tomatoes came from my garden, but they did come from my grandpa’s garden! My garden has been a little neglected this year due to my lack of desire to be out in the heat digging around in dirt while pregnant. The tomato plants I put in pots have slowly withered away due to lack of attention but my herbs are still going strong, thanks to the all the rain we’ve been getting these last couple of months.

My grandfather’s garden, however, is producing a ridiculous amount of tomatoes. He planted around 60 tomato plants this year (he cut back from the 120 plants he put in from seed years prior – he’s 82 and outta control!!). He changed things up this year and planted mostly cherry tomatoes, which makes me happy because they are one of my favorite varieties of tomatoes. When I was home last week I made sure to come home with a big bunch.

Cherry Tomato and Blue Cheese Salad Recipe | AggiesKitchen.com #tomatoes #summer #picnic #salad

Normally, I pair up tomatoes with mozzarella or feta cheese, but this time I was inspired to try something different after coming home from Whole Foods with a nice container of their crumbled blue cheese. I added a few snips of fresh chives (from my garden!) and a drizzle of olive oil – this simple summery salad turned out absolutely delicious!! If you are a blue cheese lover like I am, then you really must try out this Cherry Tomato and Blue Cheese Salad. It would make an excellent addition to any upcoming picnic or barbecue this summer – especially the Fourth of July!

Cherry Tomato and Blue Cheese Salad

If you are a blue cheese lover you will enjoy this fresh summer tomato salad! This is a very "rough" recipe as far as measurements go, adapt it to your liking or what you have on hand!

Ingredients

• pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • pinch coarse salt and fresh ground pepper

Instructions

1. Put tomatoes, blue cheese and chives in a large salad plate or bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and very gently toss.

More tomato love on Aggie’s Kitchen:

Corn, Tomato and Basil Saute

Pasta Salad Caprese with Roasted Garlic and Balsamic Dressing

Quinoa Spaghetti with Garlicky Greens and Tomatoes

Grilled Zucchini Frittata with Goat Cheese and Cherry Tomatoes

Green Bean, Cherry Tomato and Goat Cheese Salad

Mediterranean Shrimp and Pasta Toss

22 Responses to “Cherry Tomato and Blue Cheese Salad”

1. Erica posted July 3, 2013 at 8:34 am

No way! Its not neglect- its all this darn rain! I swear it- my tomato plants look horrible :( . Glad you still are able to enjoy some fresh ones- they look amazing. What a perfect summer salad. How are you feeling???

2. Bev @ Bev Cooks posted July 3, 2013 at 9:51 am

Aaaaaand done.

3. Amy @Very Culinary posted July 3, 2013 at 9:52 am

And who just posted a photo on Facebook the other day of her garden fresh cherry tomato bounty? This gal did! Okay, so it wasn’t quite a bounty. If I could stop myself from eating them off the vine, I could have enough to make this salad. It’s a goal this week!

4. natalie@thesweetslife posted July 3, 2013 at 10:00 am

whoa–fantastic combination!!!

5. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking posted July 3, 2013 at 10:30 am

I live for quick, fresh and summery salads like this! Fantastic recipe, Aggie!

6. cassie posted July 3, 2013 at 10:49 am

I love tomato season! I have never had luck growing them but luckily I can get great local tomatoes in town. I love this salad!

7. Paula - bell'alimento posted July 3, 2013 at 10:59 am

Now this is my kind of red white and blue food ; )

8. Meagan @ A Zesty Bite posted July 3, 2013 at 11:08 am

What a simple beautiful salad straight from the garden. It doesn’t get much better than that.

9. Sandy@ReluctantEntertainer posted July 3, 2013 at 11:10 am

Well done, my friend. Love how fresh this is. Happy 4th of July!

10. Angie posted July 3, 2013 at 11:20 am

Great idea for fresh tomatoes! The bugs got my tomatoes, they pretty much got everything but the sweet potato vines, which have taken over, lol.

11. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted July 3, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I need me some simple yum today, looks so good and flavorful!

12. Joshua Hampton (Cooking Classes San Diego) posted July 5, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Simple, fresh and very easy to make. It’s perfect. Thanks for sharing this with us.

13. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen posted July 7, 2013 at 10:19 am

I have been getting the best tomatoes from the farmers market and I’m always on the lookout for ways to enjoy blue cheese. Love this!

14. patsy posted July 7, 2013 at 9:05 pm

This salad looks too good to pass up! Hope you are feeling good!

15. Julia posted July 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I am still waiting for my tomatoes…but I am so ready! Once I have some I am making this salad. It looks wonderful and so summery.

16. Molly posted July 10, 2013 at 11:26 pm

I doubled the amounts, added cilantro and a cup of barley. So good!thanks or the inspiration!

• Aggies Kitchen posted July 12, 2013 at 9:04 am

That sounds wonderful! I just started putting barley in soups recently, love it. I am going to try your salad creation! Thanks so much for the feedback and idea. Have a great weekend!

17. addie | culicurious posted July 11, 2013 at 8:50 am

I love the simplicity of this salad. When you have such fantastic ingredients, no need to do too much with them. Let ‘em shine!! :)

18. Tara @ Unsophisticook posted July 11, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Such a pretty and simple side!

19. Nutmeg Nanny posted July 18, 2013 at 10:57 am

Oh my, I love this. So simple and so perfect :)

20. Heather Harrington posted August 18, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I add 1 1/2 tsp of sugar to sweeten it up a bit :)

1. Pingback: 15 Fresh Tomato Salad Recipes