Maple Roasted Fall Vegetables with Chicken-Apple Sausage

I had a major clean out the produce drawer cooking session yesterday. My lack of meal planning and shopping without a list the week before Thanksgiving left me with a few too many straggling veggies to be dealt with. No regrets though, because in result, this bowl of roasted veggie goodness happened.

A couple of months ago I stumbled onto this recipe for Maple Glazed “Medley” over on Skinny Mommy. This is honestly my favorite kind of recipe, one that I know that pretty much everyone in my family would eat with no complaints. I always have chicken and apple sausages in my freezer (I  leave Costco with a huge pack every single time!) so it’s a great stand-by recipe to make with whatever veggies you have on hand. The maple syrup really makes it extra special and if you like a little heat then a little drizzle of hot chili sauce will pair up perfectly to create that “sweet heat” so many of us crave.

It doesn’t take much to put this together.  A little chop, a little toss and in the oven it goes.

I’m still new to cooking with parsnips and have been craving them recently. I read somewhere that some of the bigger ones can get “woody” on the inside and that it’s a good idea to remove the core part of the larger pieces. I did that pretty easily and really enjoyed them in this recipe. I can’t wait to keep experimenting with them.

What’s your favorite way to eat parsnips? Here are a few recipes that I want to try:

Smashed Potato, Parsnips and Rutabaga

Super Sweet Parsnip Chips

Nut Butter Crusted Parsnip Fries

Maple Roasted Fall Vegetables with Chicken-Apple Sausage

This is the perfect stand-by recipe for when you need to clear out your produce drawer. Experiment with different vegetables each time.

Ingredients

• 1 package of chicken apple sausages, cut into small rounds
  • 1 sweet potato, unpeeled and cut into 1" pieces
  • 1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1 lb parnips, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
  • a bunch of brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed and cut in half
  • 1/4 cup real maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • big pinch coarse salt and fresh ground pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Line a roasting pan (I used two to ensure there was enough room for everything to properly roast) with aluminum foil for easy clean up. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine all vegetables and sausage pieces. Drizzle maple syrup and oil over vegetables and toss well until coated completely. Spread out onto roasting pans and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  4. Cook for 30 minutes, tossing vegetables about half way.

Notes

Be sure to cut all the vegetables and sausage same size to ensure that everything roasts up evenly. Use two baking sheets if needed.

There are still a few more days to enter to win a $500 Calphalon gift card – don’t miss out!

31 Responses to “Maple Roasted Fall Vegetables with Chicken-Apple Sausage”

1. Megan {Country Cleaver} posted November 29, 2012 at 10:02 am

When I saw this on the instagrams, I fell over. I’m so in love with all of these and the chicken sausage just makes me swoon. Perfect fall dinner.

2. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl posted November 29, 2012 at 10:17 am

I need to get those chicken sausages!!! Always trying to find healthy versions. This looks incredible! PS: I love using parsnips mashed with butternut squash in my Shepherd’s Pie. So tasty.

3. Erica posted November 29, 2012 at 11:53 am

That looks amazing! There is something about a little sweet thrown in with some veggies that is SO good!

4. Bree posted November 29, 2012 at 12:09 pm

So great to see a shout out to me! :) I love your great fall twist on it! :)

5. Jersey Girl Cooks posted November 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm

This is my kind of dinner! Love the colors too!

6. Sheila posted November 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm

This is a great idea, I’ve had a package of chicken apple sausage staring at me every time I open my freezer..now I know what to do with it!

7. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted November 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm

This is my kind of meal too! Love all these flavors. I definite must try soon. :)

8. Danijela posted November 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I love this. I always have sausages in my fridge so this goes straight to my recipe collection. Simple, healthy and looks incredible. :)

9. Heather (Heather's Dish) posted November 29, 2012 at 3:57 pm

AGGIE :)

I am SO in love with the fact that you roasted the meat & vegetables all together – why haven’t I done this yet?!

10. Karly posted November 29, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I don’t often say this about vegetables, but WOW. That looks delicious!

11. Cassie | Bake Your Day posted November 29, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Chicken sausage, sprouts, sweet potato, quick…this is my kind of meal. I love it, Aggie!

12. Jayne posted November 30, 2012 at 4:39 am

Such a simple throw together meal that yet tastes flavoursome! My kind of recipe. I love recipes that forces me to use what I have leftover to make something yummy out of it.

13. marla posted November 30, 2012 at 6:43 am

Love this Aggie ~ my kind of rustic flavors :)

14. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective posted November 30, 2012 at 8:21 am

Oh my goodness, I could eat this all day long!

15. Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch posted November 30, 2012 at 9:03 am

I’d love to just pick up that fork for a bite of that first photo! YUM!

16. Alyssa (Everyday Maven) posted November 30, 2012 at 9:31 am

This is such a smart idea and so versatile!

17. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted November 30, 2012 at 10:32 am

I’m a newbie with parsnips, too. This looks like an excellent recipe to get me better acquainted, for sure!!

18. Angie posted November 30, 2012 at 11:06 am

I love your healthy recipes. This one is so full of flavor!

19. Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs posted December 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Yum! I think we’ll make this one this week! Chicken apple sausage sounds delicious!

20. Susan posted December 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I see I picked a good day to visit. What a ‘nice-homey-country-supper-in-a-bowl’ !

21. patsy posted December 2, 2012 at 7:57 pm

This looks amazing! My kind of meal, and I only discovered parsnips a year or so ago! Still trying to get the rest of the family to enjoy them, so I’ll have to try the other recipes you mentioned to see how they go over with them.

22. Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama posted December 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Love this!! All my favorites things (with veggie sausage :)) I love any veggie roasted.

23. Rachel Cooks posted December 3, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Looks great, and the apple flavor is my favorite chicken sausage :)

24. carrian posted December 3, 2012 at 8:06 pm

pssst, was that the aidells sausage? I love that stuff. Seriously, love it.

25. Sarah posted December 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm

This looks like a delicious dish :) I really could have this every night!

26. CraftyMumCrafts posted December 5, 2012 at 9:45 am

My Mum used to put parsnips in her beef stew at times….. it gave reg. old beef stew an added dimension!

27. EA-The Spicy RD posted December 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Love this easy dish! I just used up a bunch of fruits and veggies in my new juicer-love cleaning out the fridge without having to throw rotten food away. This is my kind of easy meal & will be making this soon for sure!

28. Kelly Senyei (Just a Taste) posted December 7, 2012 at 11:07 am

This looks so hearty and satisfying! Perfect for cold winter nights!

1. Pingback: Pumpkin Butter Vinaigrette over Mixed Greens, Pepitas and Blue Cheese | Aggie's Kitchen

2. Pingback: Weigh-In Wednesday Week 7