Summer Eats – Sweet and Sour Garden Peppers

by Aggies Kitchen on June 20, 2012

During the summer, I try to visit with my grandparents at least every couple of weeks. They don’t live too far from me – just about an hour drive – so it’s not uncommon for the kids and I to wake up in the morning and jump in the car for a spontaneous trip over to surprise them and spend the day. Our visit usually includes lunch, some wine, a dance session with my grandma and a little garden tour with my grandpa. Good times.

The older I get, the more and more I cherish this time with them.

(With Nonno, Easter, 2010)

I always leave from their house with goodies of every kind…bags of breaded chicken cutlets or meatballs for my freezer, loaves of fresh baked bread and of course with this time of year comes lots of garden goodies like tomatoes and peppers.

Peppers (of all kinds) are up there as some of my favorite summer veggies. Just last year I came across this recipe for Sweet and Sour Bell Peppers in a beautiful cookbook that my sweet friend Bridgett sent to me and I absolutely fell in love with it. I have cooked up this recipe time after time, using whatever peppers I have on hand…usually ones like the bunch of beautiful cubanelles my grandpa sent me home with just last week.

These peppers are always a treat and would make a great side dish or appetizer this summer – or if you’re like me, they are perfect for dinner over crusty bread smothered in pesto with a nice chilled glass of red wine.

Now that’s my kind of eatin’.

Sweet and Sour Garden Peppers Recipe slightly adapted from Vegetables From An Italian Garden

Ingredients

• 4 assorted garden peppers (bell or cubanelles work wonderfully)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • pinch of salt

Instructions

1. Clean peppers by removing stems and seeds. Cut each pepper into chunks or strips. In a large pan, heat oil over low heat and fry the peppers slowly for 15 minutes. Season peppers with salt.
  2. Add white wine vinegar and sugar to pan and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Let vinegar and sugar mixture dissolve and cook down until reduced a bit. Cook for a few additional minutes. Serve at room temperature with slices of rustic crusty bread.

Kim | At Home With Kim June 20, 2012 at 8:28 am

Okay ~ that picture of you and Nonno is precious! And this dinner is the PERFECT summertime recipe. This is exactly what I love about summer…. taking fresh produce and turning it into simple, yet fantastic meals. Cannot wait to try this after this weekend’s trip to the Farmer’s Market. As always, you are the go~to source for dinnertime inspiration my Friend!

Aggies Kitchen June 20, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I love summer produce :) You have to make this!

kelley June 20, 2012 at 8:59 am

So awesome that you get to spend so much time with your grandparents. There is no more precious relationship! These look awesome. I can’t wait to try them. There was a restaurant in Boston that Pete and I used to love that served Sausage & Chicken with Vinegar Peppers. I’m going to try and adapt this recipe to recreate it. Thanks, friend!!! So sorry you’re not coming to Evo this year, I’m going to miss you!

Aggies Kitchen June 20, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I am so lucky to be so close with them. We have always lived either in the same house or 2 houses down the street so 1 hour away now seems like a lot! I would love to hear about your dish when you make it, it sounds delicious!

I am SO sad I’m missing EVO!!!!

Cookin' Canuck June 20, 2012 at 9:23 am

How wonderful that you get to spend so much time with your grandparents and that your kids have the opportunity to get to know their great-grandparents! I love the simple preparation of those peppers.

Aggies Kitchen June 20, 2012 at 4:18 pm

My kids and grandparents have such a special bond, I love it. I hope you try the peppers, I think you’ll love them!

Deborah June 20, 2012 at 9:26 am

I love this! And how lucky for you to be able to spend some good time with your grandparents. Both of my grandpas have passed away in the last couple years, and I still hate that I’m not able to see my grandmothers more often.

This sounds amazing. I loved growing peppers and I’m going to have to find someone that does to steal this summer! :)

Aggies Kitchen June 20, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I have such trouble growing my own peppers. Luckily my grandpa has some, but I also found this little veggie market near me that has a ton of different kinds, I love coming home with so many colorful ones!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch June 20, 2012 at 9:45 am

Mercy, these look so good! I’m going to have to do this with some of our peppers this summer!

Aggies Kitchen June 20, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Yes Robyn, try them!

Bev Weidner June 20, 2012 at 9:56 am

This is soooo happening in my face soon.

Aggies Kitchen June 20, 2012 at 4:20 pm

It really needs to Bev. I insist.

diabeticFoodie June 20, 2012 at 10:00 am

I always have an abundance of peppers in the garden. Thanks for giving me something new to do with them. I’m a sucker for anything with vinegar too!

Aggies Kitchen June 20, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I’m a sucker for vinegar too! Try them! Enjoy! (and lucky you to have lots of garden peppers, yum!!!)

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 20, 2012 at 11:05 am

i didn’t actually love peppers until this year, and i’m still looking for great recipes for them! totally making these and using your serving suggestion…everything’s better with a little bit of wine!

Aggies Kitchen June 20, 2012 at 4:21 pm

oh you have to try these, you will love them, especially with the wine ;)

Erica June 20, 2012 at 11:34 am

It is SO fabulous to live close to relatives. Such a blessing. This meal looks drool worthy

Marly June 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Grilled peppers on toast with pesto? Oh yeah, I’m all over that one! Love this post!

Cassie June 20, 2012 at 1:05 pm

These sound amazing Aggie! Love how you served them too. So summery!

Jen @ Savory Simple June 20, 2012 at 4:11 pm

This sounds perfect for summer :)

Julia @The Roasted Root June 20, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I love how simple and delicious this looks! I’ve been all about bell peppers lately and would love to use your method of preparation to change it up. YUM!

JulieD June 21, 2012 at 2:24 am

I love that you get to see grandparents so much because they live “nearby”. Such a sweet photo! I know Curtis would love this…he loves peppers so much!

Tabitha June 21, 2012 at 9:27 am

Oh how I love time with my grandma. Your post reminds me so much of our times together. (I can’t wait for her to come visit us next month!)
I’m adding your recipe to my Pinterest recipes to try! Thanks Aggie!

Jeff Wise June 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm

My kids love peppers and this is another recipe we can use to keep us healthy! I love all the different colors!

Julia June 21, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I love that you visit your grandparents so frequently, and they sound like a hoot! SO fun!

Jen June 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm

This looks delicious! Do you think it would freeze well, or can well? I’m trying to figure out how to save some garden peppers for the rest of the year. Thanks!

Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} June 21, 2012 at 10:47 pm

The photo of you and Nanno is so precious. When I lived back in Romania my grandparents lived just like 30 minutes drive from us and almost every weekend we’d drive to the country side to enjoy their company and take bags full of goodies from the garden. Now, I’m an ocean away and only see them once a year
Lovely and delicious dinner idea. I love peppers as well