Zucchini, Fresh Corn and Quinoa Bowl with Feta and Basil

I have been staring at an enormous Costco-sized bag of quinoa in my pantry for some time now. Don’t get me wrong, I love the stuff, but for whatever reason it has a hard time making its way out of the pantry and into a pot of boiling water. Sunday morning, I woke up with one thing on the agenda. Cook up some quinoa.

I had no plans for this quinoa. I just wanted it cooked. Once it was cooked it went into the fridge. It sat there and waited. It waited for me to figure out what I wanted to do with it.

Inspiration hit me Monday at lunchtime after a morning of yoga and my friend the elliptical (I have been rocking the elliptical lately…and am hoping my behind will turn into a rock because of it, we’ll see what happens there). After such a good sweat at the gym, all I wanted to do was feed my body well. That’s where my container of pre-cooked quinoa in the fridge came in. I sauteed up some nice summer veggies in coconut oil (new to me) along with some of the quinoa, topped it with crumbled feta and basil for extra flavor and freshness and turned it into the most delicious bowl of goodness.

So delicious that I made it again for dinner Tuesday night. Though Tuesday night, instead of feta and basil, I cracked in an egg and cooked it up fried rice style.

Morale of the story: cook up that quinoa and stick it in the fridge. You just never know when that inspiration will hit. You’ll want to be prepared when it does.

Enjoy!

Zucchini, Fresh Corn and Quinoa Bowl with Feta and Basil

Ingredients

• 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1 ear corn, kernels cut off
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or oil of your choice)
  • good pinch salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta
  • basil, rough chopped

Instructions

1. Heat coconut oil over medium-high heat in a large non stick skillet. Add onion, zucchini, and fresh corn kernels to pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Add quinoa to vegetables. Stir and continue to cook until quinoa is browned and slightly crunchy, about 3-4 minutes. When ready, taste for seasoning, then put in serving bowls. Top with crumbled feta and chopped basil.
  2. Serves 2 as a side dish, or 1 as a main dish

More ways to enjoy quinoa:

Chili Rubbed Fish with Quinoa, Black Bean and Corn Salad

Mushroom Marsala with Garlic Herb Quinoa Pilaf

Happy Salad

Greek Quinoa Salad from Two Peas and Their Pod

Quinoa and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers from Bake Your Day

Quinoa Cookies from Two Peas and Their Pod

Breakfast Almond and Raspberry Quinoa from Ingredients, Inc

and of course…I had to start a quinoa board.

48 Responses to “Zucchini, Fresh Corn and Quinoa Bowl with Feta and Basil”

1. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar posted June 13, 2012 at 6:37 am

This looks absolutely lovely! Yum!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 13, 2012 at 9:57 am

thank you Katrina!

2. Erica posted June 13, 2012 at 7:08 am

Having cooked grains in the fridge makes for the best easy summer meals! Flavorful, healthy, delicious=awesome!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 13, 2012 at 9:57 am

same with rice, yes! any whole grains pre cooked makes life so much easier (esp in the summer!) :)

3. Kim | At Home With Kim posted June 13, 2012 at 7:25 am

I’m seriously making a big batch of Quinoa today and keeping it in the fridge. Brilliant way to get dinner on the table quickly this summer, with so many variations! Love that you linked to other options too. Can’t wait to try this!!!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 13, 2012 at 9:56 am

so much you can do with cooked up quinoa. Need to do this every week!

4. shelly (cookies and cups) posted June 13, 2012 at 8:01 am

That is a really good idea about cooking the quinoa ahead and waiting for inspiration to hit! Totally doing that!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 13, 2012 at 9:56 am

it is amazing how many things you will want to put it in, I love it as a filler for enchiladas too. So good to have in fridge! have a great day! :)

5. Chef Chuck posted June 13, 2012 at 8:20 am

Incredibly healthy!! Love Quinoa…
    I like the addition of the ‘Feta”

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 13, 2012 at 9:55 am

Thank you! Feta makes everything better ;)

6. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted June 13, 2012 at 8:56 am

This looks so good! Love the flavors incorporated in this!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 13, 2012 at 9:55 am

thank you! Summer in a bowl!

7. Maria posted June 13, 2012 at 9:14 am

My kind of meal! I could eat this every day!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 13, 2012 at 9:55 am

so could I… :)

8. Marly posted June 13, 2012 at 9:20 am

Sometimes the best meals can be so simple. I love the ingredients in this recipe and can’t wait to try it!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 13, 2012 at 9:54 am

Thanks Marly!

9. Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch posted June 13, 2012 at 9:25 am

So fresh and simple! Love it, Aggie!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 13, 2012 at 9:54 am

I adore fresh and simple :) Thanks Robyn!

10. kelley posted June 13, 2012 at 9:27 am

Fresh and just my kind of salad. I love making things like this and keeping it in the fridge to nosh on over a few days. Hope you’re having a great summer!!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 13, 2012 at 9:54 am

I have got to start making enough to keep in fridge. What a great easy lunch or dinner idea, esp in summer on night where kids are happy with just a sandwich or cereal and I need something more :) Hope you are having a great summer too girl!

11. Cassie posted June 13, 2012 at 9:30 am

You are already aware that I adore this – everything about it!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 13, 2012 at 9:53 am

I was totally thinking of you when I made this ;) It was such a good meal!!

12. Bev Weidner posted June 13, 2012 at 10:17 am

Ooooo, L-U-V.

13. Heather (Heather's Dish) posted June 13, 2012 at 10:26 am

i came to a realization yesterday: i really like quinoa. i didn’t at first but now i really appreciate its earthy flavor! and now i just cant get enough!

14. Rachel Cooks (formerly Not Rachael Ray) posted June 13, 2012 at 1:10 pm

This looks so tasty. Did you know that cooked quinoa also freezes really well? Thaw it in the fridge overnight–easier than having to cook it right when you want it. I freeze it in 2 cup portions so I can use it for salads or my favorite…quinoa pancakes :)

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 19, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I had no idea it froze well, need to remember that for next time. mmmm….need to try quinoa pancakes!

15. Jen posted June 13, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I have never cooked with quinoa but I must – everyone is talking about how delicious and nutritious it is. This looks really good and has inspired me to give it a try!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 19, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I really do feel great after I eat it. It doesn’t fill you up like other grains do, very light and just right. I like it when it’s been refrigerated for a bit and either in a salad or cooked up just like this. Let me know if you end up trying it out!

16. Paula- bell'alimento posted June 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I have a box of quinoa on my shelf that was waiting for THIS

17. Jen @ Savory Simple posted June 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I happen to also have a giant Costco bag of quinoa that has been staring at me lately. This looks like a great way to use it!

18. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen posted June 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Looks so great and I love your idea of cooking the quinoa ahead of time, I am going to do that.

19. Leslie posted June 13, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Made this last night, it was relish. Experimented tonight with brocolli, snap peas and fresh pineapple with the quinoa.salted the fresh veges and pineapple in coconut oil then added quinoa. It was delicious with a little Thai coconutmilk and ginger soup added on top.

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm

that sounds delicious! thanks for the feedback and for the wonderful variation.

20. patsy posted June 14, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I need to just cook it up and then it’s ready to use like it was for you! I want to find more ways to use it up, and this post has insipired me to get busy trying something new!

21. Jersey Girl Cooks posted June 15, 2012 at 7:06 pm

This looks great and zucchini and corn just remind me of summer!

22. Kerstin posted June 17, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Looks delicious and perfect for refueling! I haven’t made quinoa in a while and totally should!

23. Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} posted June 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

This is pretty much my perfect lunch or dinner. And perfect for summer! I love quinoa. Pinning this one for later!

24. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective posted June 18, 2012 at 10:49 am

We put zucchini and corn in just about EVErythiNG this time of year. So I’m with you girl!

25. Rachel posted June 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Holy moly that sounds delicious! I love quinoa and just recently started cooking with it. I’m definitely going to check out your other quinoa dishes for inspiration! Thanks!

26. Karen | The Food Charlatan posted June 18, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I love the idea of adding the egg in. This looks so good!

• Aggies Kitchen posted June 19, 2012 at 10:52 pm

thank you, the egg was a great way to change it up!

27. Cookin' Canuck posted June 19, 2012 at 8:42 am

This looks so fresh and healthy…perfect for these hot summer days. We often have a bowl of quinoa in the fridge, ready to go. One of our favorite mixes is black beans, corn, diced red pepper and cilantro, all topped with a dollop of salsa.

28. JulieD posted June 20, 2012 at 1:03 am

I love it…instead of fried rice it’s like fried quinoa. Love that you added zucchini. Have you thought about roasting it and doing something similar with it?

29. lara posted April 6, 2013 at 12:51 am

Hi!

Thanks for putting such a quick and easy recipe. Great for a Friday night.

I didn’t have feta so I used haloumi instead- which was great.
    I also didn’t have fresh basil so I used dried oregano. It was good but I think I will really try to fresh basil next time!

Thanks for putting up the recipe again!

Cheers!

• Aggies Kitchen posted April 8, 2013 at 11:54 am

thanks for the comment! Your version sounds equally delicious! I have yet to have haloumi and I’m dying to try it!

1. Pingback: Weigh~In Wednesday {Quinoa}