Kicked Up Cucumber Salad

I love attending parties where guests are asked to bring a dish. It’s always fun to see what everyone brings and even more fun to taste everything. A few summers ago, my friend Allison got a bunch of friends together at her house where we all brought something to share (I remember bringing this rice salad) and I remember tasting this simple cucumber salad and being blown away by it.

I’m not kidding when I say that this salad is simple. It’s so so simple that it’s become a staple salad in my household, especially during this time of year when we are cooking up our meals on the grill a lot more often.

It’s a perfect salad for spring/summer because it’s cold and crisp and complements so many dishes, from grilled chicken to grilled fish to burgers. And with just a few ingredients.

I had fun playing with my new OXO hand-held mandoline that I received in my FBF swag bag last month. Mandolines have always scared me, and I have to say, this one was not that scary! If you don’t have a mandoline, no worries – just slice up your cuke as thin as possible with a sharp knife.

I used a poblano pepper in this salad because I just love them, but fresh jalapenos or even a sweet cubanelle would be nice in this salad as well.

Kicked Up Cucumber Salad
Recipe created in Aggie’s Kitchen

1 English (seedless) cucumber, sliced thin
1 poplano, sliced thin into small pieces
1/2 red onion, sliced thin into small pieces
3 tablespoons Nakano rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar (if you’d like it a little sweeter, add an extra tablespoon)
salt and pepper to taste

In a small bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.

To prepare your salad, add sliced cucumber, pepper and onion in a medium sized salad bowl. Pour vinegar mixture over your salad and gently toss. Serve immediately.

For more ideas on how to use Nakano rice vinegars to splash on flavor (without the calories) to your veggies and salads visit Nakano on Facebook.

More recipes using rice vinegar:

Chinese 5-Spice Turkey Lettuce Wraps

Salmon and Veggie Stir Fry

Grilled Baby Bok Choy with Asian Sesame Vinaigrette

Slow-Cooker Sweet-and-Sour Pork from The Merry Gourmet

Spicy Corn Fritters from Perry’s Plate

Spicy Peanut Noodle Stir-Fry from Bake Your Day

(Disclosure: I have a working relationship with and received products and compensation from Nakano, but my opinions are always my own. I developed this recipe using their product, but Nakano is a product you would already find in my home. Also, some links in this post are affiliate links.)

26 Responses to “Kicked Up Cucumber Salad”

1. Wenderly posted April 12, 2012 at 11:50 am

My mouth is watering as I look at this yummy salad. Simple is sometimes the best!!!

• Aggies Kitchen posted April 12, 2012 at 11:53 am

Simple is good in so many ways isn’t it? :)

2. j3nn posted April 12, 2012 at 11:50 am

That sounds good! I love cucumber salad with lots of vinegar. I’ve been eating kirby pickles lately; they’re much gentler on the tummy. I can’t wait to have a lot of them from the garden! Another good combination is cuke, onion, and mushroom marinaded in evoo + vinegar. I don’t like to share it when I make it. :)

• Aggies Kitchen posted April 12, 2012 at 11:54 am

Oh that sounds fantastic! I don’t add mushrooms into my salad often for some reason, I will have to try it (I love shrooms!!). Also, I see those kirby cucumbers at the markets, need to check them out!

3. Heather (Heather's Dish) posted April 12, 2012 at 12:00 pm

i so wish i liked cucumbers! i just recently started being OK with them in sushi rolls…it’s so beautiful i think i’ll have to try it!

4. JulieD posted April 12, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Love this!! It looks so good, Aggie!

5. Erica posted April 12, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Yum! I really enjoy rice vinegar. And sugar kicks it up just the right amount!!

6. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen posted April 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I’m a afraid of mandoline’s too! I’m a bit of a klutz at times and would be afraid for myself if I were around one but this little handheld version looks perfect! Amazon here I come :) The cucumber salad looks so light and refreshing. The perfect accompaniment for a summer meal.

7. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen posted April 12, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I’m a afraid of mandolines too! I’m a bit of a klutz at times and would be afraid for myself if I were around one but this little handheld version looks perfect! Amazon here I come :) The cucumber salad looks so light and refreshing. The perfect accompaniment for a summer meal.

8. Cassie posted April 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Yum, Aggie! I love simple summer salads like this, especially when I can use my mandoline! I was scared of it at first but absolutely love how easy it is to use. The flavors in this are just perfect! Thanks for the link love too!

9. Paula- bell'alimento posted April 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I am in lurve with that OXO mandoline. It’s fantastic!

10. Mal @ The Chic Geek posted April 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm

This looks lovely!

11. Julia posted April 12, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I love simple cucumber salads like this. I hate mandolins. Well, they hate me. I have a scar on my thumb as proof, HA! But that one does look LES scary.

12. shelly (cookies and cups) posted April 12, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I love cucumber salads! Such a great side dish :)

13. Katie posted April 13, 2012 at 10:14 am

Love this recipe–I am obsessed with cucumbers and can’t get enough of eating them plain or in a salad! I too LOVE my Hand-Held Mandoline slicer!

14. nancy posted April 13, 2012 at 10:30 am

Love to try different cucumber salads. this sounds good.

15. Barbara @ Barbara Bakes posted April 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm

My mom always served cucumbers in vinegar, but I love how you kicked it up a notch.

16. Jamie posted April 13, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Looks like a perfect and light side dish. Especially with all the grilling we do now.

17. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com posted April 14, 2012 at 1:16 am

Mmmm.. delish raw cucumber salad :)

We have been enjoying Oxo’s mandolin so much — makes having salads much more easier :)

18. Krista posted April 14, 2012 at 10:14 am

I can’t wait for my garden to explode with fresh cucumbers to make this! I love the addition of the poblano. Mr will love that!

19. natalie (the sweets life) posted April 16, 2012 at 11:22 am

what a wonderful sounding salad, you’re right, perfect for summer!!

20. Nomadic Samuel posted October 1, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I agree that simple is often best. This looks mouth watering from over here in Korea :)

• Aggies Kitchen posted October 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Hello Nomadic Samuel from Korea! Welcome! :)

1. Pingback: 50 Recipes to Make Your Fourth Sparkle | Budget Gourmet Mom

2. Pingback: Delicious! Babble Announces The Top 100 Mom Food Blogs | My Family Blog

3. Pingback: Asian Chopped Cabbage and Mushroom Salad With Panfried Wonton Crisps | Aggie's Kitchen