Creamy Egg Salad with Capers

When I was in college, I used to frequent a local bagel shop and order pretty much the same thing every time. A lightly toasted everything bagel with egg salad. When I was served my sandwich, it was always served this way – open faced with sliced tomatoes, red onions and a sprinkle of salty capers over top. I was completely hooked on it.

I recently ordered Pam Anderson’s Cook Without A Book and have been flipping pages through it for a few weeks now. She dedicates a couple of pages to her favorite versions of egg salad, so the other day when I found myself with plenty of eggs, egg salad made it’s way to the menu for lunch. I love Pam’s approach to cooking – free yourself from a “recipe” and just cook. That’s basically how I cook, so it was nice to see her book was organized and written in the same way – lots of “base recipes” with variations. That is my kind of cookin’.

From the egg salad page in Pam’s cookbook, this egg salad was born. It has all the things I love about egg salad – slightly creamy, tangy and crunchy…and the added bite of saltiness from the capers takes it to a whole new level. And as much as I wished I had a big, bready everything bagel to serve it on, I didn’t. Instead I used a puny Bagel Thin. It was still good though. I’ll save my big bagel for another day I guess.

Creamy Egg Salad with Capers
Recipe inspired by Pam Anderson, Cook Without A Book

8 hardboiled eggs, chopped
1-2 tablespoons light mayonnaise (I tend to go lighter on the mayo and heavier on the mustard, you decide based on your taste)
1-2 tablespoons your favorite mustard (I used a caramelized onion mustard from Stonewall Kitchen that was in my fridge and is completely awesome)
2 celery stalks, small diced
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons capers, drained and roughly chopped

for serving:
sliced tomatoes
thin sliced red onion
additional capers

In a large bowl combine chopped hard boiled egg, mayo, mustard, celery, capers, salt and pepper. Gently stir until thoroughly combined. Serve on toasted bread of choice (bagels, rye, flatbread crackers are all my favorite) along with sliced tomato, sliced red onion and capers sprinkled on top.

30 Responses to “Creamy Egg Salad with Capers”

1. Erica posted March 26, 2012 at 4:45 am

I’ve never had egg salad, but I feel like I’d like it if I could sub out the mayo. Maybe Greek yogurt? What do you think? The sandwich sounds divine. Egg and a bagel- meant to me

• Aggies Kitchen posted March 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

I would definitely try it with Greek yogurt and mustard Erica! I’ve used Greek yogurt in place of mayo in tuna salad, the mustard is the key for the taste in my opinion. Next time I make egg salad I will try with the Greek yogurt and let you know!

2. Erica posted March 26, 2012 at 4:46 am

*be

3. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar posted March 26, 2012 at 6:26 am

I love a good egg salad and your recipe sounds lovely!

• Aggies Kitchen posted March 26, 2012 at 11:03 am

thank you!

4. Cassie posted March 26, 2012 at 9:58 am

Amazing, Aggie! I admit that I rarely eat egg salad, and never eat it at home. I very-well may make this for dinner tonight though as I have nothing planned and my husband would love it. Yum!

• Aggies Kitchen posted March 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

I don’t always make it either. I don’t know why! I left some for my husband to make a sandwich and he loved it. So I think this will be a nice go to for quick dinners during the week. let me know if you try it!

5. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen posted March 26, 2012 at 10:31 am

I love capers and I bet they are a great addition to this egg salad! YUM!

• Aggies Kitchen posted March 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

seriously love capers. Gotta get through my Costco jar of them so you may be seeing them again :)

6. Susan posted March 26, 2012 at 10:58 am

Mmmm! This is a new version of egg salad for me ! I’m usually a mayo, onions, celery. salt and black pepper kinda girl … and make the eggs chunky and not mushed and mashed. Your version is looking so good, though, that it’s lunch today! Yum! Love the ‘everything bagel’ to add the extra punch of flavour! Yum!

• Aggies Kitchen posted March 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

I love your version as well…there were a few other creative ways to make them in the cookbook, I may try them all! :)

7. Heather @ Heather's Dish posted March 26, 2012 at 11:19 am

This sounds so dreamy…it’s been too long since I had egg salad!

• Aggies Kitchen posted March 26, 2012 at 12:37 pm

you need to go make yourself some then ;)

8. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted March 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Yum! I love, love, love egg salad sandwiches. This looks so tasty. I have just discovered eggs with capers myself (you’ll see a post later this week from me!)…so delicious. And I have been using Cook Without a Book for many years. It really taught me how to “not think so much” when cooking, to just branch out from the regular recipe with ingredients I crave. It’s a great book! Great post, Aggie!!

• Aggies Kitchen posted March 26, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Thanks so much Brenda! I will have to check out her other books, I noticed she’s written a few of the same type of “non recipe” books. I love it! I can’t wait to see your egg and caper dish later this week! :) Have a great week!

9. Brian @ A Thought For Food posted March 26, 2012 at 9:02 pm

And why haven’t I thought to throw capers on my egg salad sandwich. I love it on my smoked salmon sandwiches just how you have it here. Egg salad coud use that little brine on top to give it some pop. Great idea!

• Aggies Kitchen posted March 27, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I love it on smoked salmon too! mmmm…

10. Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids posted March 27, 2012 at 8:54 am

This egg salad sandwich looks amazing, Aggie! It honestly made me hungry just looking at it.

• Aggies Kitchen posted March 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm

thank you Natalie! come over and I’ll make you some for lunch :)

11. Deborah posted March 27, 2012 at 10:20 am

Why have I never thought to put capers on egg salad? Loving this!!

• Aggies Kitchen posted March 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm

thanks girl! something about those capers…little briny pops of yum!

12. Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray posted March 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I love egg salad and this looks so delicious! Also, I’m with you—hardly ever use recipes…or at least I hardly ever follow them ;)

13. natalie (the sweets life) posted March 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

egg salad on an everything bagel sounds absolutely divine!

14. Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf posted March 27, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Love egg salad! I’ve never made anything with capers, so here I come. Can’t wait to try this – thanks!

15. Jamie posted March 27, 2012 at 8:02 pm

My mom used to make egg salad all the time when I was young but I never ate it because I hated the smell. Now I love egg salad but never make it. Thanks for the inspiration. Will need to makee soon.

16. marla {family fresh cooking} posted March 28, 2012 at 9:59 am

The fart that this is opened faced makes it extra amazing!! Love to taste more egg salad than bread :)

17. Brandy posted March 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I made this today and it was wonderful! I used 1 1/2 tbs of Greek Yogurt and 1/2 tbs of light mayo it turned out very creamy! Thank you for the delicious recipe!

• Aggies Kitchen posted March 29, 2012 at 2:29 pm

that’s great!! Thanks for letting me know about the Greek yogurt sub, will try that for sure next time! so glad you enjoyed it :)

18. JulieD posted March 29, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I love this! Never would have thought to try capers, Aggie! xoxo thank you for everything!

1. Pingback: Ham & Egg Salad {N’Walins Style} — Tickled Red