Veggie Burger Wraps

by Aggies Kitchen on March 20, 2012

We all tend to be creatures of habit at times. At least I know that’s true for me. When I find myself enjoying a certain food or meal, I notice that I start to enjoy that food or meal often – it can be almost comforting at times. I like no-brainer meals, to be honest. As much as I like to think about food all the time, there are times where I’d rather just go on auto-pilot.

This little throw together lunch falls into the category of “go to” meals for me. There’s nothing gourmet about it, nothing fancy, but to me it’s pretty perfect. It’s simple, and I make sure to always have all the ingredients available for me in the fridge (helps with auto-pilot mode).  I’ve been enjoying it almost every weekday for the last few weeks. It’s become “ole reliable” when I can’t think too hard about what to make myself for lunch (I work from home during the day, so this could easily be dinner for those of you who don’t, please keep in mind).

Don’t shame me, but the veggie burger that I cook up is a frozen one, and I love it. I buy a big box of them at Costco and cook them up in my toaster oven until hot and a bit crisp. I’ve been wanting to try making my own homemade veggie burgers for a while now, and it’s a challenge I plan to take on very soon.

I’ll enjoy these until I do.

Veggie Burger Wrap
Recipe created in Aggie’s Kitchen

1 veggie burger – your favorite, right now mine is Dr. Praeger’s California Veggie Burger, but I also enjoy Morningstar Black Bean Burgers
1 whole wheat tortilla wrap – I love these from La Tortilla Factory
1 Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge – any flavor – or slice of cheese of your choice (optional of course)
green leaf or red leaf lettuce
shredded carrots
alfafa sprouts
Sriracha, hot sauce, mustard or ketchup – your choice and optional

Cook your veggie burger until crisp, according to directions. While veggie burger is cooking, lay out your tortilla and spread your cheese on it. Top with lettuce leaves, carrots and sprouts. Top with veggie burger and a dash of Sriracha or hot sauce.

Serve with fruit and enjoy.

Do you have a favorite recipe for homemade veggie/bean burgers? If so, please share in the comments (links are very welcome!)

Here are a few I’ve seen around and am dying to try:

Quinoa Black Bean Burger from Bake Your Day

Chickpea Burger from Martha Stewart

Black Bean Patties with Avocado Tomato Salsa from Cookin’ Canuck

Reuben Style Bean Burgers from Three Many Cooks

Mediterranean Veggie Burgers with Lemon Caper Mayo from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice

Erica March 20, 2012 at 8:25 am

Angela (oh she glows) has a great chickpea burger! The wrap looks great to me! My go tos are salad or stir fry…or breakfast foods!

Brian @ A Thought For Food March 20, 2012 at 8:42 am

This is my kind of wrap… especially for lunch on a warm spring day (like what we’re experiencing today).

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen ink March 20, 2012 at 9:04 am

Veggie burgers are my favorite! I love to pile on the toppings :)

Cassie March 20, 2012 at 9:32 am

This looks amazing, I love the Dr. Praeger’s burgers too. Lately I have been loving the Trader Joe’s variety but also like the Morning Star Farms ones. I’ll eat any veggie burger, obviously. This sounds so good, Aggie! Thanks for the link too! :)

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots March 20, 2012 at 10:11 am

I love this! It looks so much more healthy than putting it on a hearty bun. I love that the burger is the star of this recipe! :D

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 20, 2012 at 10:14 am

Awesome. Love this idea of making a wrap burger! Yum!

Bev Weidner March 20, 2012 at 10:22 am

I LOOOVE veggie burgers. Even the frozen ones make me squeal. And to wrap it up? TOTES. Love!

Nelly Rodriguez March 20, 2012 at 10:53 am

I’m not a huge fan of veggie burgers, but love these wraps! They looks so delicious and healthy!

JulieD March 20, 2012 at 10:54 am

I actually love veggie burgers! I love the idea of doing it in a wrap. Great photos, Aggie!

Marly March 20, 2012 at 12:08 pm

This looks amazing! And adding sriracha sauce? Heavenly! Can’t wait to try this!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch March 20, 2012 at 12:31 pm

What a yummy lunch? And that sriracha sauce – so smart!

Jersey Girl Cooks March 20, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Dr Praegers is my fav too! Love the idea to make it in a wrap.

Kalyn March 20, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Looks like a great lunch to me. I will have to look for those veggie burgers at my Costco!

kelley March 23, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Great minds think alike!! I love the ol’ veggie burger wrap. I, too, use frozen patties. I’ve yet to make that one that I like better! This looks great!! Miss you girl!

Aggies Kitchen March 25, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thanks girl! I miss you too! Did I see you had a birthday last week? Happy belated! I hope you are doing well.

Kristina @ Love and Zest March 23, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Gotta say, frozen veg burgers are one of my go-to lunch items too! Convenient and travel well.. I pop them on top of a couple handfuls of spinach and zap in the mic at work. I’ve made these veggie burgers from Eat, Live, Run. They are amazing! http://www.eatliverun.com/boyfriend-approved-spicy-black-bean-burgers/

Aggies Kitchen March 25, 2012 at 9:29 am

oh thanks for sharing that black bean burger recipe, I have got to start making my own! I panic when I run out of veggie burgers in the freezer, they save me at lunchtime! :) great idea about serving them over spinach.

Melanie Flinn March 25, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I love veggie burgers! I’ve been wanting to make a more traditional one from scratch, but these black bean burgers are awesome: http://www.nutritiouseats.com/easy-black-bean-burgers/

Aggies Kitchen March 26, 2012 at 11:03 am

oh thank you for sharing that recipe! I think I saw a traditional one posted by Eat, Live Run this morning…will have to check out yours and hers! :)