Blackened Mahi Ceasar Salad

by Aggies Kitchen on February 16, 2012

Back in the day, when I was in college, I worked at a sports bar called the Gainesville Ale House. During my 3 years there, I waited tables, hostessed, expo’d, and even had a short stint as a prep cook one summer. If you’ve ever worked at a restaurant, especially while in college, then you probably remember eating a lot of your meals there…usually for the sake of convenience and even more so for the employee discount. You really couldn’t beat that employee discount.

One of the meals I ate the most while I worked at the Ale House was the blackened tuna ceasar salad. Sometimes I would switch it up and have blackened grouper or mahi, I loved it and ordered it all the time. This salad here that I made for dinner last night reminded me a lot of those days.

This salad is a perfect dinner salad, especially when we start getting into warmer spring weather, the kind of weather that tends to put us into salad eating mode. It’s not a complicated ‘recipe’, but more so of a great healthy dinner idea or option. It’s a stand by in our home and could easily be made with chicken, steak or shrimp.

I seasoned my fish (by the way, I always have frozen fish in the freezer, it defrosts quickly and is perfect for last minute meals like this one was) with Chef Prudhomme’s Seafood Magic (I prefer to use Blackened Redfish Magic but ran out!). I used my favorite salad dressing of the week for this salad and topped it with a little freshly grated parmesan cheese and lemon pepper seasoning. I would have to say that it definitely hit the spot. Go ahead and throw on some croutons if you so desire.

Blackened Mahi Ceasar Salad

for 2 salads

2 filets of mahi mahi, (if frozen, defrosted)
blackening seasoning (I prefer Chef Prudhommes Blackened Redfish Magic or Seafood Magic)
non stick spray
mixed salad greens of your choice
lemon pepper seasoning
your favorite ceasar salad dressing (I prefer Bolthouse Farms)
freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
croutons, optional

Preheat  a non stick skillet over medium high heat. Pat your fish filets dry with a paper towel and sprinkle liberally with your seasoning. Spray your skillet with non stick spray and place your fish into hot pan. Let it sear and cook for about 5 minutes until bottom of fish starts to blacken cook through. Season other side of  fish with seasoning and carefully flip over. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until fish becomes flaky (depends on thickness of fish). Be sure not to over cook fish because it will dry out.

In a bowl, toss greens with salad dressing and croutons, if using. Add your dressed greens to dinner plate and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese, lemon pepper seasoning and fish.

Bev Weidner February 16, 2012 at 11:09 am

OH my word. I want to Mahi all over that.

Katie February 16, 2012 at 11:18 am

Yum! This looks and sounds awesome. I never thought to top my caesar salads with fish… just shrimp! Must try this ASAP!

Kim | At Home With Kim February 16, 2012 at 11:25 am

Your salads always amaze me. I know my family will love this and it’s a quick way to get dinner on the table! Now I’ve got to find where I can buy that dressing!!! :-)

Erica February 16, 2012 at 11:42 am

I don’t like caesar dressing, but I love the salad! I always get it with a different dressing (balsamic usually). Such a great go to

kelley February 16, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I don’t really like mahi but this looks awesome! Pete would LOVE this!

Heather @ Heather's Dish February 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Thats a way fancier meal than I ever got at te restaurants I worked at in college! Totally gourmet :) sounds delicious!

Karriann Graf February 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm

A girl after my own heart….love Mahi-Mahi one of my favorite! My hubby catches them often in Key West ;)

Cassie February 16, 2012 at 2:37 pm

That dressing sounds awesome, must try. The fish sounds so good too, I love mahi!

Caneel February 16, 2012 at 2:46 pm

This looks so good, Aggie! I need to check out that dressing, too!

Tessa @ Handle the Heat February 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Love this! Looks so fresh and light.

Jamie February 16, 2012 at 10:46 pm

You know I’m all over this dish Aggie. And I used the same salad dressing on my salad tonight. Ha Ha….must be the family connection thing going on.

Nelly Rodriguez February 17, 2012 at 10:53 am

Mahi is one of my favorite fish! Great salad!

Vanessa February 20, 2012 at 8:05 am

Where do you buy your frozen fish? I have had luck with Publix (I live in St. Augustine!), but have heard Costco is pretty good as well.

Aggies Kitchen February 23, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Hi Vanessa! I usually pick up my frozen fish on sale at publix too. I just came home with some sockeye salmon from Costco…it was about $9/lb so a bit of a splurge but I’ve been craving it. I have used the frozen barramundi fish from Costco and loved it, but couldn’t find it this time. I have good luck with Publix too though. I grew up not far from St. Augustine! Love it up there!