Kale and Parmesan Frittata {for one}

by Aggies Kitchen on October 20, 2011

I think about food when I’m out on my runs. (Anyone want to chime in here or am I alone with this?) I’ve created so many recipes and menus in my head while running, I kind of find it comical in a way. But seriously, my running time is such a wonderful quiet time to ‘think’ without interruptions or distractions…so why not think of something you totally love…like food.

I love finishing my run and knowing exactly what I’m going to eat when I get home.

I did good today.

Kale and Parmesan Frittata (for one)

1 cup thinly sliced kale
1/2 teaspoon olive oil (I love this stuff for some extra flavor in small amounts)
small pinch of red pepper flakes
1 egg + 1/3 cup egg whites (or 2 eggs), whisked well
a bit of shredded parmesan cheese
1 plum tomato, chopped (for serving)

Turn on broiler.

In a small nonstick pan, heat oil over medium heat and add kale to pan. Saute until slightly soft and add pinch of salt and red pepper flakes. Saute for about 5 minutes total.
Pour in whisked eggs and swirl around pan. Using a spatula, gently pull egg from sides of pan and let any excess egg spill over into space. Sprinkle top of egg and kale mixture with shredded parmesan cheese and put under broiler. Let cook under broiler for about 4-5 minutes, egg is cooked, bubbly and slightly browned.

Slide onto plate, top with chopped tomato and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

And in case you are wondering…my photos came from my iPhone today. My friend Cheryl introduced me to the Camera+ app and I have been having some fun with it. I took the photos, edited them and emailed them to my computer in just a matter of minutes.

Recipe development while running and photos in under 5 minutes. This is totally my kind of blogging.

Have a great day people! :)

JulieD October 20, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I’m going to make this soon. Thanks, Aggie! We like to do breakfast for dinner and we make separate omelettes. He loves his and I’m bored with mine. This is perfect for me. :) :)

Aggies Kitchen October 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I know exactly what you mean! this came together so quick. you can change it up in so many ways!! :)

Sandy @ RE October 20, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Planning our meals is so important if we want to eat healthy. I love this, GF!

You’re the best.

Now, let’s have lunch together!

Melissa // thefauxmartha October 20, 2011 at 12:29 pm

This looks super yummy! Most of my inspiration comes in the morning while showering. Not sure how that works as I’m usually half asleep.

Heather @ new house, new home, new life October 20, 2011 at 12:37 pm

This looks yummy. When I was raising my kids and working full time, Frittatta was always one of those “go to” dishes on busy nights. Will have to resurrect the tradition.

Erica October 20, 2011 at 12:55 pm

oh my gosh- that looks freaking amazing! I always think about my weekly menus when I workout! Especially since having the baby, its some of my only real free thinking time ;)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I think about food ALL the time, and yes, during exercise especially, lol. :D

That looks so good. I love all of the veggies it’s packed with. I’m cooking kale right now, makes me want to change my trajectory. hehe

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray October 20, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Yum! I could eat something like this three times a day!

Bev Weidner October 20, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I’m totes a “recipe-writing-while-running” type of gal.

And this pizza is SA-CREAMING for me.

Mommy.

Heather @ Heather's Dish October 20, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Since my hubby hues kale I love that this is for one…I don’t have to miss out!

kelley October 20, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I don’t run so I can’t relate there but I do think about food all the time! So I do feel you there. This is a perfect post workout healthy meal!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 20, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Dear, we have the same mind! I think about what to eat while running. Frittata’s are the best post-run fuel and I love that you added kale in this recipe :)

Marian October 22, 2011 at 8:54 am

Hey this sounds like a perfect recipe for my son. He just started working on an organic farm in Oakhill, FL. They raise chickens and grow lots of Kale. He is wondering what to do with the different greens at his disposal. If you have any fun recipes for Mustard Greens let me know.

Nutmeg Nanny October 22, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I love frittata! We make it a lot in our house. It’s one of the easiest dinners. I love that you threw kale in this one. I’m always looking for a new use for kale :)

Cara October 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm

haha, I totally think about food while running too :) It’s the perfect time!

megan @ whatmegansmaking October 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm

oh wow does this look good! I really wish this was my dinner tonight. Maybe tomorrow if I can get to the store. yum!! :)

Denise @ Creative Kitchen December 10, 2011 at 9:25 am

Oh this looks good…I’m new at the whole loving tomatoes thing, and recently started throwing them on top of my omelettes and eggs too. I’ve been eating eggs for breakfast a lot lately….so many healthy veggies you can add in.

And this photo turned out amazing….hope to get a smartphone one day…this app would totally make blogging easier. Wow!!

Susie March 22, 2012 at 5:56 pm

My weekend long runs always end at place where there is good coffee or treats. I think I mostly run so I can eat :). Loved your frittata! I have been trying to eat more kale and it was the perfect dish. I sprinkled mine with feta as I was out of parm.

lindsey October 3, 2012 at 11:13 pm

My running partner and I talk about our favorite snacks for essentially the entire time.

K January 8, 2014 at 6:13 am

Your website is hacked, tried to download malware onto my phone