Easy Weeknight Meal: Cheese Quesadillas with Pintos & Peppers

by Aggies Kitchen on October 13, 2011

I’m here! I’m here! I swear I haven’t dropped off the face of the Earth.

But I have been riding horses…

I just got back from a pretty cool trip to Montana to cook alongside Connie Guttersen, Jeffrey Saad, some of my favorite blogger friends and some peeps from Bush’s Beans. Not only did I get to ride horses and enjoy the breathtaking scenery of Montana…I got to COOK. And when I say cook, I mean I got to cook in peace…with no rushing, no kids screaming in the background, and no complaining. I think if you are a mom you probably get what I’m saying right now.

We spent our entire time at Paws Up, an absolutely fantastically gorgeous ranch in Montana. Talk about wide open spaces. We stayed in the cabins and cooked on the grounds in one of their kitchens as well as in the great outdoors at one of their ‘camps‘. I honestly was ready to apply for a job washing dishes in their restaurant just so I could stay there.

Sigh.

So anyway…needless to say, this cooking adventure was pretty inspiring in more ways than one. We made some pretty tasty stuff and ate almost the entire time. I have so many new recipes to share with you bean lovers out there (I know there are lots of you). In the meantime, here’s a quick and easy one to hold you over until I get myself situated again.

You know beans are considered a vegetable right? So they make the perfect side dish in my opinion. Especially when you don’t have a whole lot of time. I love making beans this way when my brain is fried on a Wednesday night and I have nothing planned for dinner.

Enjoy!

Pintos and Peppers

Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

1 can of Bush’s Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained
1 or 2 peppers of your choice, chopped (I like using red bell and poblanos, but use whatever you have on hand!)
1/2 large red onion, chopped
pinch of chili powder
pinch of cumin
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Heat olive oil to a medium skillet. Add onion to pan and cook 2-3 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add peppers to pan, season well. Cook peppers for about 8-10 minutes until they are soft. Add beans to skillet and gently toss to combine and heat through. Taste for seasoning and adjust.

Serve alongside cheese quesadillas.

Pin It

IMG_6277

Enjoy stories and recipes from other bloggers that spent time Bush’s Beans and me:

Reluctant Entertainer: The Table Experience

Dine & Dish: Room To Breathe {Recipe: Red Beans & Rice}

Good Life Eats: Wild Mushroom and White Bean Tart [giveaway]

Bev Weidner October 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm

L.O.V.E. this.

I wish I could have been there!

We’ll have our party in a few weeks, though. :)

JulieD October 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Looks great, Aggie. So glad you had a good time. I love seeing all of the pictures on instagram. :)

Jersey Girl Cooks October 13, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Beautiful pictures and great side dish! Glad you had fun!

Kristy October 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm

It looks beautiful there!! That dish looks amazing too! Yum!

Kim {Recipes To Run On} October 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Hi Sweet Aggie, You look like a pro on that horse. What a great trip that must’ve been. So happy for you!!! This dish looks perfect for a busy night. I love pinto beans. Bookmarking this to make soon. PS ~ Your waffle recipe was a huge hit at my house {see my post from today}. :-)

Heather @ Heather's Dish October 13, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Simplicity really is best…what a fabulous and filling meal!

Erica October 13, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Wow! Sounds absolutely amazing. What a gorgeous spot! Quesadillas is definitely one of our go to meals! We usually cheat and do prepared refried beans on the side, but I love the idea of your side!

Christy G October 13, 2011 at 7:22 pm

LOVE this!! I’m soooo excited to start following your blog! :)

Shelby October 13, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Aggie, sounds like you had an awesome time! I would LOVE go west to visit the beauty out there too! Your dinner looks delish. I am actually sitting here wishing it would magically appear in front of me because I’m hungry but I’m also tired….and tired has won so I’m not eating. Bed for me soon! BUT I will have to make sure to have this on hand to have for an easy dinner another night when I’m dead tired!

Jamie October 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Love the pictures Aggie. Looks totally peaceful. Love this bean side dish too.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme October 14, 2011 at 8:12 am

What a beautiful place! Gorgeous photos. I’ve never been to Montana but would love to go there one day. And your beans look fabulous, too. Perfect accompaniment for those cheese quesadillas.

Katie from Katie's Cucina October 14, 2011 at 9:12 am

mmmm Aggie this sounds delish! I can’t wait to try this recipe, and of course your pictures from Montana are awesome!!!

Jessica @ Life by the Arch October 14, 2011 at 10:42 am

Wow, it looks like you had a great time! Your quesadillas look awesome, I’m definitely bookmarking this one :)

Linda October 14, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Sounds like a fabulous get a way in the Big Sky! Did you get to see Connie’s latest cookbook? Maybe a recipe? I Love beans and could eat them daily-they are soo nutritious!

brandi October 14, 2011 at 1:59 pm

awesome pictures! sounds like a great trip :)

Lora @cakeduchess October 14, 2011 at 4:34 pm

What a wonderful trip w/Bush Beans. This looks delicious:)You look so relaxed and happy:)xxoo

Sandy @ RE October 15, 2011 at 9:29 am

Aggie, it was such a great time. The beans look awesome, I want to come to your house for dinner! Happy weekend!

Melanie Flinn October 15, 2011 at 10:42 am

Beautiful! Ok, how do I get a gig like that? Let me know if they are looking for more bloggers to join their team. ;)

bellini October 16, 2011 at 9:01 am

What a fantastic experience Aggie!!!! It has been years since I have been to Montana!

Melissa @ Love Bug Living October 16, 2011 at 10:28 am

Are you sure those aren’t postcards? Too pretty!
Now I’m hungry too!

Karriann Graf October 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Going to add this to my “Make this Dish List”! Thanks for sharing.

“Spice it Up”