Sugar Snap Pea Salad

by Aggies Kitchen on June 24, 2011

I used to listen to the Everyday Food radio show in my car a couple of years ago almost everyday (I say used to because although I do have satellite radio, I don’t pay the extra for that channel anymore :( ). I would listen to Betsy and Sandy talk about food while I sat in a short car line waiting to pick up my son from pre-school. I sometimes would get to school a little early just so I had some extra time to listen (I literally live 5 minutes from the school so my drive was super short). I looked forward to and really enjoyed listening to these ladies talk about food.

I enjoyed the show so much that I actually called in a few times…I called in while in car line hoping that the kids didn’t start lining up as I was in the middle of my quick chat with MARTHA STEWART EVERYDAY FOOD. I used to feel super giddy after I hung up.

Now…those days are long gone…but for some reason a certain salad that was mentioned on the show stuck with me. It stuck with me for 2 years and I have up until today, never made it. I’m actually almost embarrassed to admit that I’ve thought about this salad for that long and as simple as it is, never actually made it. Does this ever happen to you?

It’s super simple and unbelievably good. It’s crunchy, lemony, cold and totally hits the spot alongside my lunchtime veggie burger. I actually find it easier to eat with a spoon too. And I’m afraid I’m going to actually eat the whole bowl…

There are worse things.

Did I mention it has only 5 ingredients? (I never count salt and pepper as an ingredient by the way…)

Sugar Snap Pea Salad

Recipe slightly adapted from Everyday Food

3-4 handfuls sugar snap peas, chopped large* (see note)
1 red onion, chopped large* (see note)
1 lemon, juiced
few splashes white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

* Note: I am texture driven so I like to chop my onion and sugar snap peas about the same size.

Combine chopped vegetables in a bowl. Pour lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil over vegetables and gently toss together. Season well with salt and pepper.
Enjoy chilled.

Eliana June 24, 2011 at 11:30 am

WOW – looks so delicious and with just 5 ingredients – I’m sold!!!

Paula @ Cookware Cooking June 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Great salad and so simple! Snap peas are so yummy and paired with red onion! Great combination.

Erica June 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm

This program sounds awesome. I’d totally tune in if I had satellite. The simplest flavors really make the best meals. Yum. Snap peas are fabulous

Maris(In Good Taste) June 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I love the words simple and easy and then paired with such a gorgeous salad we have a winner!

Callie June 24, 2011 at 7:39 pm

This sounds really, really good!

Audrey's Mom June 25, 2011 at 1:26 am

Audrey is starting to enjoy peas so this might be a nice salad for her. Thanks for sharing!

Nelly Rodriguez June 25, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Love the colors in this, although not a huge fan of snap peas!

peachkins June 25, 2011 at 8:05 pm

it is easy and it looks delicious!

Julia June 26, 2011 at 8:20 am

So simple, pretty and perfect!

Chuck June 26, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I’ll have to try this. Sometimes simple recipes are the best. BTW, I too often have recipes hanging around in my head before I get to try them. That, and flagged recipes in over 50 cookbooks! So much food, so little time…

patsy June 27, 2011 at 9:39 pm

This salad looks like a perfect accompaniment to my lunches lately! I’m going to have to go find some sugar snap peas! And, I’ve got a number of recipes that I haven’t gotten around to making… I need more hours in my days!

Marla June 27, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Aggie, thanks for sharing those special car moments with us. Sweet & I totally get those precious moments alone. We love sugar snap peas here & this is a great simple salad.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com June 28, 2011 at 12:34 am

I recently begin tuning into a radio food talk show. Sort of interesting :) And this salad has summer printed all over it. Beautiful :)

Jeanette June 28, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Aggie – love this easy no-cook summer salad! I have done the same thing…arriving at pick-up a few minutes earlier, except I bring my food magazines, hoping to have time to flip through them quickly!

Helene June 29, 2011 at 9:41 am

I have never heard of the show but I subscribe to the magazine. Delicious salad.

Lauren from Lauren's Latest June 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm

If you ate the whole bowl, you’d get your daily veggies all at once! You’re right…there are much worse things then that!

Maria June 30, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Love this salad! Can’t wait to see you next week!

The Duo Dishes July 5, 2011 at 9:31 am

Simple, sweet, crunchy…great summer salad! Do you ever soak your red onions to relieve some of their bite? That’s always nice for raw onions in a salad.

Tara @ Unsophisticook June 1, 2012 at 9:17 am

This looks like such a light and refreshing salad! Dying for my CSA to start up because they have the best sugar snap peas…

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective June 1, 2012 at 10:08 am

Gorgeous Aggie! Perfect for light summer meals. :)