‘Tis the Season…

for sweet potatoes.

Right?

IMG_3595

Actually, it’s always the season for sweet potatoes…but it seems more people like to enjoy them around this time of year.  I am a huge lover of sweet potatoes, in mostly any form.  I tend to eat them pretty often…whether roasted as wedges or rounds, grilled in a salad, tucked inside a burrito or even in latkes. Yea, I like my sweet potatoes.

Now, I will say, these biscotti were a first for me as far as ways to enjoy sweet potatoes.  The nice people at the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission recently sent me a batch of Sweet Potato Biscotti and I will tell you, two dozen of these cookies lasted just a little over 2 days in this house.  I got the package just as I was leaving to pick up the kids from school so I opened it in the car to try them out.  The kids (my two and their friend) ate half a dozen just on the way home.  More for dessert that night and snack again the next day.  Daddy, a neighbor, and I even got to try some.

IMG_3600

These cookies are just sweet enough thanks to the natural sweetness of the spuds.  What I love is that the recipe for Sweet Potato Biscotti only calls for 2/3 cup of sugar for 4 dozen biscotti!  Crazy huh?  That’s a treat I don’t feel terrible about giving my kids (or myself).  Now if you are looking for something ooey-gooey sweet then this is probably not your cookie.  These are light and perfect with a cup of tea…and they won’t kill your “diet”.

Not only do sweet potatoes taste good, they are super good for you.  They are diabetic friendly due to their low glycemic index (really, good for everyone) and are full of fiber, beta carotene, vitamin C, potassium and magnesium….all good stuff!  Try these out next time you are in the mood to bake.  Thank you to NCSPC for sending them my way!  We enjoyed them and I will definitely be sharing them again soon with my fam.

IMG_3601

Sweet Potato Biscotti

Recipe from NC Sweet Potato Commission

(printable recipe)

2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups unpeeled coarsely grated North Carolina sweet potatoes (about 8 ounces)
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease large baking sheet. In medium bowl, beat together sugar and butter; add eggs; beat well. Add flour, baking powder, orange zest and salt; beat on low speed until combined. Fold in sweet potato, walnuts and coconut. Divide dough into two equal pieces; with oiled hands, shape each piece into a log about 2 inches by 11 inches; place on baking sheet. Bake until firm and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack; cool 15 minutes. Trim thin slice from ends of logs; cut logs into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place slices on 2 ungreased baking sheets with cut side down. Bake 12 minutes; turn and bake until crisp and golden, 10-12 minutes longer. Cool completely. Store in tightly covered container.

Yield: about 4 dozen biscotti

Per 2 biscotti: 116 calories, 1 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 5 g total fat

Disclaimer:  Although I was treated to these delicious cookies by the NC Sweet Potato Commission, all thoughts and opinions about them are my own.  Thank you.

IMG_3596

28 Responses to “‘Tis the Season…”

1. Cookin' Canuck posted November 21, 2010 at 9:50 pm

What a fantastic way to use sweet potatoes! I can imagine dipping these into a thick, steamy bowl of soup.

2. rebecca posted November 21, 2010 at 9:52 pm

wow I adore this great job

3. Lora @cakeduchess posted November 21, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I would love a couple sweet potato biscotti for breakfast tomorrow. Wonderful recipe. Love your blog and hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving:)

4. Maria posted November 21, 2010 at 11:06 pm

LOVE these!!!

5. Jamie posted November 21, 2010 at 11:49 pm

These look really good Aggie! What a unique way to use sweet potatoes. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

6. sally posted November 22, 2010 at 12:45 am

I’ve had sweet potato biscuits before, but never sweet potato biscotti! What a creative recipe!

7. Jane Doiron posted November 22, 2010 at 6:27 am

I love biscotti! Those look yummy! I bookmarked the recipe for a rainy day! Thanks!

8. Erica posted November 22, 2010 at 7:19 am

wow- those look so tasty! I love biscotti. I just made a batch of pumpkin but have never tried sweet potato. Definitely the season. Happy (almost) Thanksgiving!!

9. marla {family fresh cooking} posted November 22, 2010 at 7:31 am

I adore everything sweet potato too! These biscotti sound delicious. xo

10. Pam posted November 22, 2010 at 7:46 am

These look so tasty! I love baking with Sweet Potatoes, and never thought about biscotti – what a great idea!

11. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. posted November 22, 2010 at 8:17 am

These look and sound great!

12. Kim @ Quit Eating Out posted November 22, 2010 at 8:53 am

My mom LOVES sweet potatoes and biscotti… I never would’ve thought to combine them. This will make a PERFECT Christmas gift for her. Thanks!

13. Holly ~ One Spicy Dish posted November 22, 2010 at 10:33 am

Um..I LOVE this idea. I’m sure it ships well for gifts as well!!!

14. Anh posted November 22, 2010 at 10:44 am

North Carolina sweet potato is yam….I do believe.

15. Jenny Flake posted November 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Looks so good Aggie! Bring on a big bowl of soup with those delicious biscotti!

16. pegasuslegend posted November 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Wow I will love these cant wait to try them so different! love them~

17. Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen posted November 22, 2010 at 6:06 pm

These look so good Aggie! I love sweet potato everything too!

18. qingrenjie site posted November 23, 2010 at 4:25 am

You deserve a round of applause for that post etc . specifically, your blog typically. Very good quality material.

19. Cara posted November 23, 2010 at 8:37 am

These sound incredible, what a creative use of sweet potato! Love the addition of walnuts and coconut too. In addition to the sugar being a pretty small quantity, I can’t believe it only requires a 1/4 cup of butter!

20. bellini posted November 23, 2010 at 9:13 am

Crunchy, sweet and delicous..everything they should be.

21. Rachel posted November 23, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Yum yum!
    Those sound delicious and your pictures make them even yummier!

22. Trish posted November 23, 2010 at 5:52 pm

This sounds like a very delicious & creative recipe. I love adding a little veggie to baked goods (I don’t feel so bad eating it). Thanks for sharing!

23. Paula posted November 24, 2010 at 7:53 am

what a delicious blog! here is so many uncanny inspirations!

have a nice time,
    Paula

24. vanillasugar posted November 24, 2010 at 6:45 pm

well lookie here. ms thing these are fabulous. i knew i’d find something sweet potato here.
    how are you feeling btw? didn’t see you on twitter. did you get good meds? LOLOL!

25. Ashly Portlock posted November 26, 2010 at 6:24 am

We’ve just discovered the joys of organic farming in our own garden, I have to say potato soup is our favourite of the month. I found a website dedicated to just potato soup recipes, can you believe it?!. There’s a website for anything nowadays it appears!

26. Kerstin posted November 27, 2010 at 1:35 pm

This is such a great idea – love sweet potatoes and biscotti but never thought to combine them into one!

27. Jeremy Wryals posted November 29, 2010 at 1:03 am

I like your posts and I actually love it! Im looking ahead to seeing more post in your site. Keep it up and Thanks for the information.

1. Pingback: Food Blog Holiday Recipes: Thanksgiving 2010 Round-Up & Fall Favorites — Family Fresh Cooking