Smoky BBQ Turkey Burger Sliders

IMG_2133

Earlier this summer I was contacted by the editor of CBSNews.com asking me to contribute a healthy recipe to their Health section.  Of course I was totally flattered and thrilled by this request considering how much I love to talk about food and share healthy recipes with just about anyone and everyone who crosses my path…and let’s be real, it’s CBS!!  My first assignment was “sliders” and I decided to recreate a tried and true turkey burger I’ve been making for some time now.

To me, a slider is basically a mini burger.  I think sliders are genius because if you are really trying to watch your portions, it really forces you to eat less.  That is, if you stick to the one slider…which I really try to do.  That’s the whole point in my opinion…you get a “taste” of the good stuff and then fill up on the actual “good for you” stuff on the side.  But that’s just me…

IMG_2076

What makes these turkey burgers awesome is the sauteed green onion and celery along with the smoky Chipotle Tabasco and paprika that is added into the ground turkey mixture before being shaped into patties.  The combination of all those ingredients really adds flavor to the normally pretty bland turkey.  Also, adding shredded cheese directly to the mixture adds a little fat to the lean meat and keeps them juicy.

Visit the Health Section of CBS.com to read the article for this recipe along with a newer one featuring Summer Vegetable Gratin and Baked Zucchini Fries.

Smoky BBQTurkey Burger Sliders

2 tsp olive oil
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 TB Chipotle Tabasco sauce
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
good pinch salt and pepper
8 whole wheat potato rolls

INSTRUCTIONS
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or pre-heat a gas grill to medium-high. For best results, use a non-stick grill which helps to avoid adding oil.

On the stove, heat 2 tsp olive oil in a non stick skillet. When oil is hot, place celery and green onion in pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool. We are going to add these to our burger mixture later.

In the same nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp olive oil in . When oil is hot, place sliced onion in pan. Season with good pinch of salt and pepper and cook. Saute onions until browned and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

IMG_2044

While onions are caramelizing, prepare basting sauce and Chipotle Sauce.

Combine Greek yogurt (or mayo) and Chipotle Tabasco in a small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Combine barbecue sauce and mango chutney in small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

To make patties: Combine ground turkey, Chipotle Tabasco, smoked paprika, low-fat cheese and cooked and cooled green onions and celery in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Gently combine and mix using hands or large spoon. Form into 8 even sized patties, do this by scoring meat mixture in half, then quarters, then eighths.

Use a non-stick canola oil spray, to prevent patties from sticking to grill.  Spray patties directly with spray before placing on grill.

Place patties on grill rack, cover and cook until bottoms are browned, about 4-5 minutes. Using spatula, flip patties and cook additional 4-5 minutes. After flipping, use brush to baste turkey burgers with mango BBQ sauce. After cooking for 4-5 minutes, flip and baste other side.

IMG_2080

To assemble burgers: Spread chipotle sauce on both sides of open potato rolls. Place patty in bun and top with caramelized onions. Take a big bite and enjoy!

For those sauce lovers (like my hubby!), can be served with additional Mango BBQ sauce on side!

IMG_2136

19 Responses to “Smoky BBQ Turkey Burger Sliders”

1. Ninette posted September 5, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I don’t like turkey, but I think I would like this recipe!

2. peachkins posted September 5, 2010 at 8:25 pm

OMG! my mouth is watering with these sliders..

The Peach Kitchen
    peach and things
    blowing peachkisses

3. Amanda posted September 5, 2010 at 8:48 pm

First of all congratulations! Great gig! Second, these look terrific! I totally agree, get a little bit of the good tasty stuff and fill up on the rest of the better for you tasty sides :)

4. Jamie posted September 6, 2010 at 10:00 am

Looking awesome Aggie! I STILL haven’t tried turkey burgers yet. Maybe one day you can make one for me and convert me. You already know how much I loved your write-up on the CBS blog. Congrats again!

5. pegasuslegend posted September 6, 2010 at 10:48 am

Congrats to you! wow what a wonderful opportunity and this was the perfect recipe, the pictures and recipe is awesome! Great job!

6. Jenn's Food Journey posted September 6, 2010 at 10:52 am

First of all.. congratulations! How very fortunate to have this opportunity! YAY!! Second… OMG those sliders look heavenly!!!

7. Erica posted September 6, 2010 at 11:06 am

CBS?? How cool is that! You rock and deserve all the recognition you get!! The sliders look fabulous. Josh likes his meat with a little kick- I should make these for him. Hope you guys are having a nice labor day

8. Sarah Cooksey posted September 6, 2010 at 3:22 pm

We just got home and I didn’t know what we should do for dinner! I knew Aggie’s Kitchen would solve my problem. We are making these tonight!

9. Shelby posted September 6, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Agggie, these look awesome! Love your basting sauce!

10. Mags posted September 6, 2010 at 7:32 pm

What a great turkey recipe! Congrats on your CBS gig…. you rock!

11. bellini valli posted September 6, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I am in love with sliders of all kinds these days Aggie. What better way to celebrate the weekend!

12. Kathie posted September 7, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I love turkey burgers and these look amazing!! I am going to have to try this recipe!! Thanks for sharing@

13. Liz posted September 3, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Wow, how exciting! Your sliders look perfect for the holiday weekend…and it doesn’t hurt at all that they are healthy, too~

14. Carrie Z posted May 5, 2012 at 9:16 am

I had a craving for BBQ turkey burgers, googled, and found this recipe. It is hands down the best turkey burger recipe. Our new go to recipe for a casual dinner at home, yet fancy enough to serve for guests. Thank you!

• Aggies Kitchen posted May 5, 2012 at 10:47 am

Thank you so much for the feedback and kind words! It’s one of our favorites! Have a great weekend :)

15. Tieghan posted July 15, 2013 at 10:05 am