Shrimp, Broccoli and Edamame Stir Fry

by Aggies Kitchen on October 9, 2009

ShrimpBroccStirfryOne

Why don’t I make stir fry more often?  It’s such an easy meal to throw together, and you can change it up every time.  I was scrambling to figure out dinner for Larry and I the other night at um…let’s say 5ish, the kids were having pasta and I just wasn’t in the mood for pasta.  I had an oversupply of broccoli in the fridge (thanks to Publix’s $1  bags of florets this week!) so I knew broccoli had to be a main ingredient.  Looking in the freezer for ideas I saw shrimp.  Frozen shrimp are so great to have on hand because they are so quick to defrost and cook.  So stir fry it was.

I like to cook up the shrimp in the wok first with some garlic, ginger and a couple teaspoons of oil.  Once its cooked I set it aside and then add the veggies to the hot pan.  For this stir fry I used sliced onion, broccoli florets, water chestnuts and edamame.  The combination was perfect.  I put together a basic Asian sauce out of some staples and dinner was served.

Oh and don’t forget the chopsticks…I love eating with chopsticks at home, makes me feel like I’m having “takeout”, and I tend to eat slower with them.  Just one of those mental tricks I guess.  Larry was a big fan of this stir fry, he said it was the best one I’ve made so far.  I’m happy with that compliment! :)

ShrimpBroccStirfryThree

Shrimp, Broccoli and Edamame Stir Fry
Recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen

(printable recipe)

1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp canola oil
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced (or from the jar)
2 cups broccoli florets
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 cup frozen edamame, defrosted
2-3 TB rice vinegar
2 TB soy sauce
2 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp chile garlic sauce
couple of splashes of fish sauce

In a small bowl, combine rice vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil, chile garlic sauce and fish sauce.

Heat wok over medium high heat. Add oil, garlic, ginger and shrimp and cook until shrimp are just pink, about 2-3 minutes. Set shrimp aside.

Add onion and broccoli to hot wok. Cook for about 2 minutes, then add edamame and water chestnuts. Continue to cook for about 2 more minutes. Add back in shrimp and sauce and toss to combine, cook for about 2-3 minutes longer. (I like my veggies crisp, but if you prefer, cook a little longer for softer veggies.)

ShrimpBroccStirfryTwo

Happy Friday to everyone!  What are your plans this weekend?  The Gators are playing a big game Saturday night so that’s what we’ll be doing…the rest of the weekend is up to the kids!  :)

Have a great weekend!

Maria October 9, 2009 at 6:32 pm

I love stir fry. So many variations too! Love this one!

Jessica Olsen October 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm

This stir-fry looks very good. I love the shrimp and the Edamame, Yumm. I am bookmarking this one. thanks :-)

Jamie October 9, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Aggie,
I also made stir fry this week with those same $1.00 bags from Publix. We must have been on the same wave length. I got the stir-fried one. What a great deal. I love all your ingredients. So healthy and I know it was flavorful.

HoneyB October 10, 2009 at 6:12 am

Looks delicious Aggie. I have never had edamame! I did finally see it in our grocery though so I will have to give this a try!

Duchess of Fork October 10, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Aggie,
This looks great! I really need to try cooking more Asian dishes. They always seem so time-consuming, but I think I could handle this. I just adore edamame! Have you ever had it roasted and salted, just like peanuts? I found some at Fresh Market…it’s a nice crunchy snack.
-Molly

Kerstin October 10, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Love all the layers of flavor in your stir fry! Broccoli and edamame are two of my go-to veggies so we always have them around – I’ll have to try this.

April Marie (Girl Japan) October 10, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Delicious food aside, this plate of food looks like your plate! Isn’t edemame the best?

Kevin October 11, 2009 at 11:49 am

That looks like a nice and healthy and tasty meal!

Erica October 11, 2009 at 4:25 pm

This looks incredible. I am such a stir fry fan! I updated your site and the feed is STILL not showing up in my google reader…….

Laura@FindingAHealthyBalance October 11, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I really like yours, great layout. I love how you post lots of pictures, the recipe, etc. on the dish you are making…….helps us fellow cooks that are still mastering our “cooking skills”…..like me. =O

=) Laura @ Finding A Healthy Balance (after a 100+ POUND weight loss)

Cara October 12, 2009 at 10:01 am

Agree with you on so many accounts: why don’t I make stirfry more often? Edamame is a great addition. And, chopsticks make me eat slower too. Sounds like a great meal!

Hélène October 12, 2009 at 7:26 pm

This looks delicious Aggie.

Peanut Butter Bliss October 12, 2009 at 8:59 pm

this has ALL my favorite foods in it – shrimp, broccoli and garlic :) yum.

Erica October 12, 2009 at 9:05 pm

oh gosh- you’ve had a yucky tummy and temp for days? I have a feeling this isn’t going to go away fast :( But I have a big presentation at work tomorrow so…press on!

Glad you’re taking care of yourself! I find it so easy to lose myself in taking care of Josh and Frank and dedicating all of my free time to the gym…I can only imagine how bad it can get when you have kids!

Pam October 12, 2009 at 11:24 pm

I am loving this recipe Aggie and I also really, really like your new look. I have some frozen shrimp in the freezer and a bag full of broccoli – I know what I’ll be making this week.

Bugaboo October 17, 2009 at 11:55 am

I often ask myself the very same question about stir fry — why do we make it so infrequently? Oh well. Yours looks delish and I happen to have broccoli on hand I need to use up; thanks for the idea!

tigerfish October 23, 2009 at 5:38 pm

This stir fry looks wonderfully delicious. :D

Eleanor Hoh (Wok Star) March 6, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Very pleased to see you enjoy a good stir fry! You hit it on the head that you can change it up easily, so we share the same philosophy. If you can get Jicama, think you’ll love it since you like water chestnuts, it has the crunchy texture & sweetness. Love your blog.