Spinach Salad with Stone Fruits and Maple-Spiced Pecans

by Aggies Kitchen on June 25, 2009

A few weeks ago, my sister in law, Jamie and I hosted a week of Cooking Light recipes. Not long after that, Shelby of The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch and Val of More than Burnt Toast also shared a week long event of delicious recipes from Cooking Light. The four of us, along with Helene of La Cuisine d’Helene, have decided to come together to form Cooking Light’s first Virtual Supper Club! What is a Supper Club you ask? Well, I wasn’t too sure myself. Apparently Cooking Light Supper Clubs have been around for 10 years! They began on Cooking Light’s message boards, with individuals searching for other individuals with the common interest of cooking and meal planning all in mind of healthy eating…all you need is a small group of people living in the same area and there’s your Supper Club! Each month your group gets together for a dinner party to share recipes you have each prepared from Cooking Light magazine.

Now, our unique Virtual Supper Club definitely shares the interest of cooking and planning healthy meals…but we hardly live in the same area. Two of us are in Canada, one in Northeast USA and two of us, including myself, are in the southern state of Florida! The world of food blogging is so cool that it can bring together people across countries like this. And what makes this even more exciting is that Cooking Light will be sponsoring our monthly event by sharing it with their readers on their own website!

For this month’s dinner party, we decided to celebrate both of our countries’ festive summer holidays -
Canada Day and Fourth of July!

We are celebrating our holidays with a fabulous summer menu that includes:

Maple Grilled Salmon made by Val
Charred Corn Relish made by Jamie
Curried Chicken Salad with Nectarines made by Shelby
Spinach Salad with Stone Fruits and Maple-Spiced Pecans made by Aggie
Cool Creamy Chocolate Dessert made by Helene

How good does all that sound??

I served the Spinach Salad with a barbeque spice rubbed broiled salmon. They were both equally delicious. My husband could not stop raving about all of it. This salad was definitely unique with its warm fruit and onion topping. Oh, and the crunchy pecans were so addicting…I couldn’t stop eating them! I used delicious pecans sent to me earlier this month from The Pecan Store in Arizona…they roasted perfectly in the oven with a subtle maple spiced glaze.

To see a printable version of this recipe on Cooking Light’s site click here.

Enjoy!!

Share/Save/Bookmark

Erica June 25, 2009 at 10:35 am

I love the dinner party idea- so cool! The salad looks amazing! I am a huge fan of the addition of fruit to greens- something about that little amount of sweet that is so perfect. Hope you're enjoying summer break with the kiddos

Donna-FFW June 25, 2009 at 11:18 am

Love this idea. Cant wait to see al the goodies!! This salad looks wonderful, love the addition of those maple pecans!

♥peachkins♥ June 25, 2009 at 11:29 am

I can't wait to see all your recipes. This is so perfect for summer!

Jamie June 25, 2009 at 11:35 am

Aggie,
Thanks for "bringing" this delicious salad to our Supper Club :) . It looks so refreshing and I need to make those pecans for any salad.

Bellini Valli June 25, 2009 at 11:42 am

We had such a fantastic time at our virtial barbecue getting to know one another. Your salad was amazing Aggie!! I can't wait for our next get together!!!!

Pamela June 25, 2009 at 12:47 pm

This is such a neat idea and what a great opportunity for you all!! I absolutely LOVE Cooking Light. Just about everything I've ever made has been a winner. Looking forward to reading all about you guys!

HoneyB June 25, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Aggie, this was such a great experience and I look forward to many more virtual dinners with you! Your salad looks totally awesome!

Maria June 25, 2009 at 1:08 pm

What a great salad. I love dinner parties too!

Debbie June 25, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Oh that looks so terrific! Such nice colors!

Mary June 25, 2009 at 1:32 pm

The dinner party is a wonderful idea and I love your salad. I have one that is similar but I use strawberries and candied walnuts.

finsmom June 25, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Dinner parties are the best!

I love the looks of this salad – so many great flavors working together!

Melissa June 25, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I love your meal. It must have been a good one for the heat you've been having.

And what a lovely idea, the Cooking Light thing. I hope all of you have fun with it. I'll just sit back and enjoy the food. :)

the ungourmet June 25, 2009 at 4:41 pm

It's so nice to meet you! I have a question though, what is Stone Fruit?

Helene June 25, 2009 at 5:10 pm

This salad is beautiful. What an exciting event. I'm so glad I got to 'virtually' meet you. We'll meet again at the next Supper Club.

biz319 June 25, 2009 at 5:52 pm

What a great idea!! I love stone fruits too :D

Bob June 25, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Fun! I haven't had the best luck with Cooking Light stuff, it will be nice to see other people make the recipes before I try them myself. ;)

The Duo Dishes June 25, 2009 at 7:41 pm

We could eat the nuts alone…addictive!

Deeba @Passionate About Baking June 26, 2009 at 2:02 am

You ladies have a great kitchen & I love the besic idea! Cooking Light is the way to go…& you've done beautifully. Love the flavours & combinations in the salad! the pecans do sound interesting too.YUM!

teresa June 26, 2009 at 2:11 am

This is so fun! What a lovely salad!

Leslie June 26, 2009 at 3:58 am

What a delicious salad, I bet it was great with the salmon! Your new blog event sounds like fun!

tastestopping June 26, 2009 at 2:35 pm

We are always looking for new salmon recipes, so I'm going to add the BBQ rub to our list of "must-trys." And the peach, spiced pecan salad…looks to-die for. (I love Cooking Light as well and only have too many recipes to choose from in all my back issues! Thanks for helping narrow it down.)

Anyway, I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor

Mary Ann June 27, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Congrats Aggie! That is so cool. I love Cooking Light and will definitely be interested to see what ya'll do every month with the supper club. The salad looks gorgeous!

Laurance July 22, 2009 at 11:58 am

This is looks so spicy.I love this blog.

Free Direct TV