Crispy Fish Fingers {CEimB}

by Aggies Kitchen on May 28, 2009

It’s not often that I can make a dinner that everyone in the family (well most) enjoys. Usually I have to tweak part of the recipe (like adding no heat) to make it more kid friendly, or just make them something different all together. It’s a lot of extra work sometimes, but I like my food and my spice and my kid’s just haven’t caught up to my page on that just yet. I’m working on it though.

This recipe is one of the few that I can make for the entire family. My husband loved it and was raving about it. Even my 4 year old son, though hesitant at first, ate his plate full of fish fingers. My normally not picky 2 year old daughter…well, we’ll keep trying.

This recipe was this week’s Craving Ellie in my Belly selection, chosen by Rainforest Recipes. In case you don’t know CEimB, we are a group of bloggers that get together to cook up healthy Ellie Krieger recipes each week and share our experiences. It’s been great trying new recipes and learning from others, check us out here.

I didn’t really follow Ellie’s recipe exactly for this week’s selection, I knew my kid’s wouldn’t want the dipping sauce (they aren’t dippers) and I surprisingly didn’t have any Greek yogurt on hand so I skipped it and decided to serve the fish with lemon like I normally do. I also paired it up with a nice green salad for Mom and Dad (me and hubby) while the kids ate theirs with some watermelon and a potato roll. The fish turned out flavorful and crispy thanks to “air baking“, without all the grease from a fryer.

These were definitely not your frozen fish sticks.

Crispy Fish Fingers
Recipe adapted from Ellie Krieger

1 lb tilapia, cut into strips or chunks
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 or 2 eggs, beaten or 1 egg plus egg whites, beaten
2 cups whole wheat or regular Panko (I used a mix of both)
garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
zest of 1 lemon
sliced lemon for serving

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a plate, season flour well with garlic powder, salt, pepper and lemon zest. A few pieces at a time, dip fish pieces into flour mixture dusting off the excess. Dip the fish in egg, then bread crumbs (I seasoned bread crumbs as well with salt and pepper). Arrange breaded fish on a cooling rack placed into a rimmed baking sheet. Once all fish is breaded, spray each piece liberally with non stick spray or drizzle lightly with olive oil. Place in preheated oven and bake until golden brown and cooked through, approximately 10 -12 minutes.

Serve with lemon and a green salad for a healthy dinner!

Share/Save/Bookmark

applecrumbles May 28, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Looks wonderful.

HoneyB May 28, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Everything you make always looks so appetizing! Thankfully my family has caught up to my tastebuds…well, except for maybe Grumpy. Unfortunately, the only one who lives at home anymore IS Grumpy! LOL.

Mary May 28, 2009 at 12:59 pm

These look good and I imagine they taste as good as they look. This is a lovely light recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Erica May 28, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Sounds fabulous. I plan to try this next time I get some fresh fish! Thanks Aggie!

Pamela May 28, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Looks really wonderful, Aggie. I didn’t get to particpate this week. But it’s nice to know at least one of your kids enjoyed it. There is hope!

Jen B. May 28, 2009 at 3:05 pm

These look so good! I didn’t participate this week, but I am going to make these on my own sometime soon.

Dawn May 28, 2009 at 3:14 pm

boy those are crispy! finally I was able to come onto your food blog. I never would have guessed those came from Ms. healthy Ellie.

Bridgett May 28, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I loved this recipe when I tried it. You are so good about keeping up with your cooking clubs and your photos are lovely!

Sara May 28, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Looks great. I will definitely add a squeeze of lemon over mine next time. I might also make them into fish sandwiches on a potato roll (my favorite). I was going to serve a salad too at first, but was very displeased with my baby spinach so plan B was potatoes.

Justin May 28, 2009 at 6:00 pm

i love ellie’s recipes — the panko makes these look great

nick May 28, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Air baking method = win on this for sure, thank you for the suggestion.

I’m glad even the kiddies ate these up, I know my son won’t touch anything that doesn’t have at least a half a dozen ingredients in it that I can pronounce, except of course for heading fistfuls of salad (how weird is that?).

The sauce was much better than I expected. I think with a few additions (namely some pickles) it could be used as an equally tasty and much healthier version of tartar sauce in future applications.

Leslie May 28, 2009 at 8:01 pm

These really look terrific! Mine were homelier by far. Adding a squeeze of lemon is a great idea.

Peggy May 28, 2009 at 8:35 pm

The air baking was a great idea. I thought they were bland. I should have added some seasoning of some kind I guess for our tastes. And I love the photo with the lemon. :)

Melissa May 28, 2009 at 8:50 pm

They’re not dippers? Isn’t that unusual? I would think they would want ketchup or something. Don’t worry, I’m looking at this as a good thing haha. I’m not a dipper either, so I found that funny.

They look great. Another good way to get Steve to eat fish!

The Duo Dishes May 28, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Panko makes everything look so light and crispy. Gotta try it!

What's for Supper? May 28, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Yours are picture perfect indeed! Great job.

teresa May 28, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Oooh, great picture, these look wonderful. I love the healthy recipes, we need them!

Ninette May 28, 2009 at 11:45 pm

You’re so good about cooking fish a lot. Looks great.

Paula May 29, 2009 at 1:24 am

Oh, I know I’ll be eating this! When I saw the title, I laughed because I had just been teaching my son algebra and when I saw the parentheses and letters, I thought it was some sort of formula! Love this recipe!

Patsyk May 29, 2009 at 1:44 am

They look delicious! I know my boys would enjoy them.

Cathy May 29, 2009 at 2:23 am

So glad that these were a big hit for (most of!) your family! I am going to try these again – I feel like if I catch my kids in the right mood they’ll love them! Good idea to seve with lemon – you just can’t go wrong there. They look wonderful!

Sharon May 29, 2009 at 3:01 am

Beautiful presentation! I would love to try this with calamari as well.

anudivya May 29, 2009 at 4:28 am

That looks fabulous. Reminds me of zucchini fries I made in the oven.

TourGuideJenn May 29, 2009 at 5:45 am

Your pictures are beautiful! Glad (most of) the family really liked these.

Girl Japan May 30, 2009 at 8:29 am

I second what everyone has said, the presentation is fabulous- and so is your plating.

Before I Read, I would have guessed by the pictures it was “fried” but ah… have something nice and crispy without the extras… fabulous- I would like to know more about “air baking”.

Canadian May 31, 2009 at 10:33 pm

What is Panko?

Aggie May 31, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Canadian – Panko is a Japanese bread crumb, it's very flaky and coarse and makes breading extra crispy. I buy a brand that is in my Asian product section, it's in a black box, but Progresso makes a version of it too. Here's a link to see what it looks like:

Joanne Choi June 1, 2009 at 6:13 am

this looks fabulous…I can’t wait to try it.

thenotsoskinnykitchen June 2, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Even though I didn’t get a chance to make these with the group last week, we are really looking forward to trying them. One of my guilty pleasures is frozen fish sticks so I’m excited to be able to make a healthier, more adult version! I will definitely use the air baking method.

メル友募集 July 17, 2009 at 2:18 pm

最近仕事ばかりで毎日退屈してます。そろそろ恋人欲しいです☆もう夏だし海とか行きたいな♪ k.c.0720@docomo.ne.jp 連絡待ってるよ☆

家出 July 19, 2009 at 10:36 am

最近TVや雑誌で紹介されている家出掲示板では、全国各地のネットカフェ等を泊り歩いている家出娘のメッセージが多数書き込みされています。彼女たちはお金がないので掲示板で知り合った男性の家にでもすぐに泊まりに行くようです。あなたも書き込みに返事を返してみませんか

動物占い July 20, 2009 at 11:30 am

あなたの性格を、動物に例えて占っちゃいます。もしかしたらこんな動物かも!?動物占いをうまく使って、楽しい人間関係を築いてください

家出 July 22, 2009 at 1:00 pm

家出中の女性や泊まる所が無い女性達がネットカフェなどで、飲み放題のドリンクで空腹を満たす生活を送っています。当サイトはそんな女性達をサポートしたいという人たちと困っている女性たちの為のサイトです

セレブラブ July 23, 2009 at 12:55 pm

セレブ女性との割り切りお付き合いで大金を稼いでみませんか?女性に癒しと快楽、男性に謝礼とお互い満たしあえる当サイト、セレブラブはあなたの登録をお待ちしております。

夏フェス!! July 24, 2009 at 12:46 pm

夏フェス一緒に行ってくれる人募集!!夏の思い出一緒につくろぉ☆ megumi-0830@docomo.ne.jp 連絡してね♪

Gravure Idols June 23, 2010 at 3:27 am

thanks so much again for your help .. i really appreciate it.