Barefoot Contessa’s Chicken Piccata

by Aggies Kitchen on March 12, 2009

We have eaten very well this week. I made this chicken dish the night before I cooked up Ellie’s Fish Tacos with Chipotle Cream…and I have been happily eating leftovers for lunch all week.

This chicken dish is a classic. Its one everyone should learn to make. You could really impress with this dish too. And honestly, there is not much to the recipe. It is just a wonderful combination of great flavors.

I decided to cook my chicken in the oven from the beginning, I just sprayed each breaded cutlet with nonstick spray (or you can drizzle with olive oil) to give the breading a little extra something. I also added capers to my sauce…because honestly, I can’t have chicken piccata without them. Instead of using lemon halves, I added sliced lemons to the sauce and served them with the chicken. It all went together perfectly with steamed broccoli and a roasted vegetable medley.

This Barefoot Blogger recipe was chosen by Lindsey of Noodle Nights and Muffin Mornings. What a great pick! Check out the rest of the Barefoot Bloggers and see what they cooked up!

Chicken Piccata
Recipe from Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa at Home or
Food Network
2 split (1 whole) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 extra-large egg
1/2 tablespoon water
3/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
Good olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons), lemon halves reserved
1/2 cup dry white wine
Sliced lemon, for serving
Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound out to 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.

Mix the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a shallow plate. In a second plate, beat the egg and 1/2 tablespoon of water together. Place the bread crumbs on a third plate. Dip each chicken breast first in the flour, shake off the excess, and then dip in the egg and bread crumb mixtures.

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium to medium-low heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Place them on the sheet pan and allow them to bake for 5 to 10 minutes while you make the sauce.

For the sauce, wipe out the saute pan with a dry paper towel. Over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and then add the lemon juice, wine, the reserved lemon halves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Boil over high heat until reduced in half, about 2 minutes. Off the heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and swirl to combine. Discard the lemon halves and serve 1 chicken breast on each plate. Spoon on the sauce and serve with a slice of lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.

Share/Save/Bookmark

Mary March 12, 2009 at 1:13 am

Aggie, I just stopped by to say hello. Your blog and your version of Ina’s Piccata are beautiful. I’ll be back often.

Sharon March 12, 2009 at 1:32 am

such lovely photos! The fish tacos below look amazing as well!

Erica March 12, 2009 at 1:37 am

Thank you so much for the baby shower ideas!

Another great, fresh looking dish. Do you think it would taste as good if I subbed chicken broth for the white wine?

Aggie March 12, 2009 at 2:05 am

Erica – Yes, I think it would still be great with the chicken broth! Let me know if you try it!

Paula March 12, 2009 at 2:17 am

Oh Aggie, how did you know that I absolutely, positively love and crave chicken piccata on a regular basis? Yours looks so terrific, and I totally agree about the capers. I’ll have to give yours a try … the recipe I have for it doesn’t look nearly as good! YUM!

Barbara Bakes March 12, 2009 at 3:17 am

Chicken piccata is one of my favorites. Your version looks delicious!

Debbie March 12, 2009 at 11:24 am

Chicken piccata is one of my favorite dishes. I have just recently started watching Ina on teh food network and love her dishes….

Cathy March 12, 2009 at 11:40 am

We loved this one too! Yours looks extra delicious! Good call adding some capers. This one is definitely a keeper!

Linds March 12, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Looks great! Thank you for participating. I like your modifications as well…had this not been my week, I probably would have baked the chicken as well. Glad to know it doesn’t compromise the dish :)

spike. March 12, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Good idea to just cook it in the oven the whole time- a whole lot better for you. Capers sound like a good addition too!

BMK March 12, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Beautiful photos. Thanks for the tips on baking in the oven. I was wondering how that would come out. Definitely want to add capers next time too!

Pamela March 12, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Yeah! I love that you baked it. I’m saving this one and I’m definitely gonna give it a try!

Maria March 12, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Great photos Aggie! Love that you added capers too! Nice job!

Katherine Aucoin March 12, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I love chicken piccata, and I like the addition of capers. Your photos are very appetizing!

Lucy March 12, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Looks just wonderful & a favorite of ours too!

Kate March 12, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Beautiful, nicely done. I should have added capers — I thought all Piccata had capers but then thought maybe I was confusing it with another dish. I think I would have liked the salty tang. Either way, this was a nice dish and you’re right, it’s a classic that should be on every “go to” dinner list.

Bridgett March 12, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Classic Italian dish that is always a crowd pleaser! I use chicken piccata as a weeknight standby as well when I am too lazy to cook anything too entailed. It is one of my hubby’s favorites and I always know I will get a smooch for a great meal. Have to love that! This looks fabulous as usual, Aggie!

deltawhiskey.us March 12, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Oh that looks so good! I LOVE your pictures! I should have added capers, great idea!

~Delta Whiskey (Cat)

unconfidentialcook March 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I love Ina, and I’ve seen her make this dish….The capers are a great add…Also, I so recommend her Parmesan Chicken (on my site), which we have at least once a week!

Peggy March 12, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Your photos are so beautiful. I just can’t do it. I can’t make great photos of food. Give me people, give me mountains and I can do it, but not food. Loved the fish and the chicken. We had a good week cooking together didn’t we?

biz319 March 12, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I love chicken picatta, but hubby doesn’t like capers so I usually leave them out.

Such good comfort food! I agree, this should be a staple go to meal!

Colleen March 12, 2009 at 6:01 pm

This looks delicious! And beautiful pictures!

Leslie March 12, 2009 at 7:54 pm

What a great idea to do this in the oven (I still need to clean my cooktop from sauteeing the chicken!) I love capers and wish I’d thought to include them, it’s such a classic! Have you ever baked sliced lemons and eaten them? They’re amazing. I know it sounds weird but it’s great.

Anne March 12, 2009 at 8:42 pm

That looks even better than the original! I love the addition of the capers and will have to try that next time.

Kaitlin March 12, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I’ve never had this! And I know I need to!

Debinhawaii March 12, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Your chicken looks beautiful. I can’t believe I didn’t add capers to it too–great idea.

Girl Japan March 13, 2009 at 10:04 am

Hi Aggie! I enjoy coming to your site and reading all your recipes, your photos are more stunning each and every time I visit!

Chicken Piccata is home style cooking but you bring utter chicness to it, I think you are fantastic.

Penny March 13, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Hi Aggie, This was a great company meal. I served it with a rice medley and sauteed sugar snap peas. Your photos are great. I’m loving our Florida weather.

Kirsten March 13, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Your chicken looks great.

Tonya @ What's On My Plate March 14, 2009 at 2:18 am

I love the addition of capers and doing the chicken entirely in the oven is a great idea.

Suzie March 15, 2009 at 9:35 am

I just love your changes – next time I am crumbing something I am going to try it in the oven. And the addition of capers looks perfect.

Gloria Chadwick March 15, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I love chicken piccata and I love that you used sliced lemons. Great taste as well as a beautiful garnish. :)

Erica March 15, 2009 at 9:50 pm

hey lady ;) I got the black bean hummus at WFs. I wanted to make my own but didn’t have time! I am looking for a good recipe too- I will let you know if I find one

Leslie March 15, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Looks perfectly yummy

Page Murray April 24, 2012 at 11:08 am

I want to try this with Mahi. Ale House has it on their menu and I LOVE it. Should I flatten it though? I am going to do wild rice and steamed spinach.