Happy Hanukkah! Sweet Potato Latkes and Sweet Noodle Kugel

by Aggies Kitchen on December 22, 2008

Happy Hanukkah!

Last night was the start of Hanukkah, and we celebrated by making latkes. This was my first time making them, but not my first time eating them. I’ll tell you, now that I know how to make them, I will definitely be making them more often. They were delicious…and were a hit with the whole family.

I decided to make a sweet potato version and I’m so glad I did. I went the more savory route and just seasoned them with salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne. We served them with a dab of sour cream.

(my sous chef…happily grating potatoes)

Sweet Potato Latkes
Recipe adapted from Food Network
1 medium yellow onion
2 pounds Yukon gold potato
2 -3 pounds sweet potato
3-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
Pinch cayenne
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
olive oil

Grate the onion on a box grater into a large bowl. Grate both potatoes into the same bowl, grating down the length of the potato to get long strands. Toss the potatoes with the onions as you work to keep them from discoloring. Put potato mixture in a clean dish towel and wring out excess liquid. Toss the latke mixture with the flour, salt, and cayenne. Stir in the egg.

Heat a 1/4-inch oil in a large cast iron or other heavy skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, spoon about 1/4 cup of the latke mixture into the skillet, pressing lightly to form 3-inch pancakes. Take care not to overcrowd the pan. Cook, turning once, until just golden, about 2 minutes per side.

Serve the latkes topped with a small dollop of sour cream. Serve immediately.

Originally, I had planned to make brisket. I got started on dinner kind of late last night not realizing it took 2-3 hours to cook a brisket. Oops. So I made a last minute decision to make a sweet noodle dish called kugel. No one complained.

I’m not sure if Kugel is traditional Hanukkah food…but since I had all the ingredients on hand it worked for us! Kugel is a sweet noodle dish, baked with cottage cheese, sour cream and raisins. Using crushed pineapple in this version helped sweeten it naturally without having to add too much additional sugar. I lightened up a Paula Deen recipe I found in her Paula Deen & Friends cookbook and added a crumbly topping to it. The kids loved it!

(Kid approved!)

Sweet Noodle Kugel
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen & Friends

1 lb wide egg noodles, cooked and drained (I used whole wheat)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted (I used only about 2-3 tablespons of Brummel & Brown)
1 pound cottage cheese (I used reduced fat)
2 cups light sour cream
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup sugar (I used only a tiny bit, a few tablespoons)
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 8oz can crushed pineapple, drained

Topping:
1 1/2 cups of Panko
2 – 3 Tb of butter
1 – 2 tsp cinnamon sugar

Preheat the oven 350 degrees. Spray 13×9 baking dish with non stick spray.

Combine the warm noodles and butter in a large glass bowl. Add the cottage cheese, sour cream, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla and stir gently. Add the eggs and mix gently but thoroughly. Add the raisins and pineapple, if using. Pour into prepared baking dish. Make topping by combining butter, panko and cinnamon sugar in small bowl. Spread over casserole and bake for 1 hour.

(the kids opening up their Hanukkah present…Gina is very excited about the paper!)

For another latke recipe and a lesson on how to play the dreidle game visit Prudy here!

We are off to Sea World today to ride the Polar Express!!
Have a wonderful week celebrating your holiday!!

Share/Save/Bookmark

Erica December 22, 2008 at 2:01 pm

mmmm love latkes. I have never had kugel before. Hope you guys have a wonderful day- sounds like you have some great stuff planned!

The Food Librarian December 22, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Happy Hanukkah! I love latkes and kugel!

5 Star Foodie December 22, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Happy Hanukkah! Sweet potato latkes sound really good. I just went with my classic potato latkes last night, but there are 7 more dinners to make, so I’ll give sweet potato a try. Thanks.

Maris December 22, 2008 at 5:57 pm

I love latkes. Haven’t had them in ages but now I’m craving latkes and kugel!

Such a bad idea to read food blogs right before eating lunch :)

Patsyk December 22, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Happy Hanukkah! I’ll be making latkes later this week since that’s when we will have the whole family over. It’s the one time of year I can justify frying food! LOL!

Have a wonderful holiday!

Liz December 22, 2008 at 6:12 pm

I love how you combined white and sweet potatoes for your latkes, and your kugel looked delicious. Last night, instead of making a few dozen latkes, I made one huge one! I added the entire shredded potato mixture to an oiled nonstick skillet. Flipping it was a bit of a challenge — finally slid it on to a large dinner plate, placed another plate on top, flipped it again, and then slid it back into the oiled skillet. Only problem was that I had a bit too much potato and the middle didn’t cook through entirely. Oy vey. Happy Hanukkah.

lauren December 23, 2008 at 2:15 am

my grandfather used to always make potato pancakes and these remind me of those. but with sweet potato?! yum!

Paula December 23, 2008 at 4:41 am

Happy Hanukkah! Mmmm … your sweet potato latkes sound terrific! I’ve only had the regular potato version (which I love, too!) How cool that you had a sous chef to grate the potatoes! I’ve never had a kugel, but have heard wonderful things about them. Sounds like you had a great day!

Girl Japan December 23, 2008 at 11:36 am

I just wanted to stop by and wish you the best Holiday and hope you have tons of fabulous food!!!!!

Cheers Aggie!!!

Katherine Aucoin December 23, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Happy Hanukka Aggie. The latkes look wonderful. Sweet potatoes sound like a terrific variation!

Dawn December 23, 2008 at 3:57 pm

I need to finally get down to business and make this Kugel I see everywhere. Sweet potato is a perfect idea for latkes!

Pam December 23, 2008 at 6:14 pm

Happy Hanukkah! The sweet potato latkes are a wonderful idea. They look and sound delicious.

Leslie December 23, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Happy Hanukkah!!!!

Pamela December 24, 2008 at 2:39 am

Happy Hanukkah!!

Mary Ann December 24, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Both of these look great. I wouldn’t have missed the brisket at all!~

Nurit "1 family. friendly. food." March 17, 2009 at 6:04 am

a bit late, but it’s my first time here – happy hanukah.

Donna December 1, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I’ve been looking for an easy kugel recipe so thank you. We love latkes,my children look forward to Hanakkuh for lighting the lights,playing dreidle chocolate coins,the sufguyots(jellydonuts),latkes & hopefully now kugel. I’ve also made latkes with beets & sweet potato,those are very yummy too. Enjoy the season

Aggies Kitchen December 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm

My kids love the holiday too! This year has been a little crazy for us and we haven’t had our latkes yet! Tomorrow night :)

Enjoy the holiday!! Thanks for stopping by!