Lentil Soup

So…anyone seeing all the reports on happy people in the news lately? Apparently happiness is contagious…hmmm…I will have to agree with that! Interesting reading…

Speaking of happy…I’m pretty happy that I made this soup today. After a week of splurging here and there, I really need this soup. It’s comfort food, full of stuff that is just good for you. Lentils are so healthy for you, they are low in fat and a good source of protein, fiber and iron among other things. If you haven’t tried them before, don’t be afraid…they are actually a very easy bean to cook, probably one of the quicker ones too. My grandparents and parents make soup like this all the time, it’s so economical and really goes a long way. I’m actually staring at my huge pot of soup and thinking I might of made way too much…but I can always freeze some smaller portions for a quick future meal.

Lentil Soup

2 TB olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3-4 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
2 32 oz cartons of low sodium chicken stock
1 lb bag of brown lentils
1 large can of Italian diced tomatoes (important that you get the Italian ones, it will add lots of flavor)
broken spaghetti noodles or elbow macaroni, optional

In a large pot, heat oil and add vegetables and garlic, salt and pepper . Saute for about 10 minutes, until soft. Add chicken broth, lentils and tomatoes to the pot and bring to a boil. Bring back down to a simmer and let cook for 50-60 minutes.

If you want to add in the pasta, add it in the last 10 minutes of the cooking process. Check for salt and pepper, add more to taste. Serve hot with grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.

Nicole at Test Kitchen Recipes was so nice to pass on the Butterfly Award to me! I recently discovered Nicole’s great blog…go check it out! Thank you Nicole!

Tomorrow the Gators are playing in the SEC Championship!
Here’s our little good luck charm…isn’t he cute?

GO GATORS!!

Have a great weekend!

Share/Save/Bookmark

19 Responses to “Lentil Soup”

1. Mary Ann posted December 5, 2008 at 11:19 pm

Lentils are one of my absolute favorite foods. I love them. This soup looks super healthy and delicious. Go Gators!

2. anudivya posted December 5, 2008 at 11:56 pm

Oh yeah… I saw that in the morning news as well… Happiness is contagious!
    I love lentil soup and normally gulp down the canned ones, should try making it at home. Looks fab.

3. Lisa posted December 6, 2008 at 12:03 am

Looks great. I love a nice bowl of hearty soup when it’s cold.

4. Erica posted December 6, 2008 at 2:15 am

I’m with ya- go gators!! Soup looks wonderful (as always!)

Josh says Go Gators too (except Tebow because hes a ball hog ;))

5. Cathy posted December 6, 2008 at 4:19 am

I love lentil soup! And I am craving something healthy, warm and comforting right now — and this totally looks like it fits the bill!

6. Maryann posted December 6, 2008 at 8:24 am

Nice soup, Ags ;)

7. Jeena posted December 6, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmm! This is my kinda food. :-)

8. priscilla posted December 6, 2008 at 8:03 pm

mm, this lentil soup looks very good. perfect on that cold chilly day.

9. Jenny posted December 7, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Looks nice and comforting Aggie! I love soup all year round. I’m off to read that happiness article.

10. Pamela posted December 8, 2008 at 3:04 am

Looks great, Aggie. Serious comfort food for the colder weather! I just made 2 different kinds of soup today, and they will be frozen for quick lunches and dinner! Yum.

11. Pam posted December 8, 2008 at 4:49 am

Yum. This looks like a perfect soup to have on a cold rainy day. Great recipe Aggie.

12. Katherine Aucoin posted December 8, 2008 at 1:46 pm

This soup looks perfect for the cold rainy/snowy weather we’ve been having.

13. Maria posted December 8, 2008 at 4:52 pm

The soup looks great! We just made lentil soup too! We will be posting it this week, the recipe is similar, great minds think alike:)

14. Michele posted December 8, 2008 at 7:46 pm

I could really go for a bowl of your soup right now! It looks delicious! My recipe is almost identical to yours.

15. Bridgett posted December 8, 2008 at 9:39 pm

I read that the Italians believe (though I had never heard it before) that lentil bring good luck. Now there is another great excuse to make this fantastic soup. Looks delicious, Aggie. So warm and inviting.

16. Maris posted December 9, 2008 at 4:14 am

I love lentil soup…this is almost exactly how I make it, minus the broken noodles!

17. Ben Brandao posted October 30, 2010 at 7:43 am

If I was stranded on a deserted island and could have only brought one food… It would be lentils. Perfect food, meaty, robust flavor. Now as long as there were some coconuts and fruit wild on the island, I would never want for any thing else to eat.

1. Pingback: Healthier Living: 7 Delicious Ways to Prepare Lentils | Family Kitchen

2. Pingback: Mediterranean Lentil Salad | Aggie's Kitchen