Rachel Ray’s Lemony Tuna Salad

by Aggies Kitchen on September 26, 2008

I know there are mixed feelings out there about Rachel Ray. Although she’s not a “chef”, you have to admit she’s a great cook and an even better entrepreneur. Her personality is quirky, she talks a lot but over the years I have grown fond of her. I did take about a year or so off of watching her shows though because she did start to annoy me after a while (I was pregnant at the time so maybe I was overly sensitive to annoying people?). I have learned a lot from watching her shows, I think many people just learning how to cook do too.

What I am really starting to like is her magazine, Everyday with Rachel Ray. I don’t subscribe to it (although I did just place my order), but I pick it up every now and then. I have found several recipes in there that have turned out really good. And most are fairly simple….like this one. This salad is perfect for a busy weekday night or lunch. We had it with our cream of mushroom soup the other night and it was delicious.

If you feel like your lettuce needs some extra dressing, squeeze some extra lemon juice over it.

Lemony Tuna Salad
from Everyday with Rachel Ray

1/4 mayonnaise (I used reduced fat)
4 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
salt and pepper
1 6-oz can of solid white tuna, drained
1 cup canned white beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 English cucumber, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 large head romaine, shredded
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (I added this)

In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice and lemon peel; season with salt and pepper. Add the tuna, breaking it apart slightly with a fork, then the beans, cucumber and onion. Season with salt and pepper.

Arrange the romaine on 4 large plates and top with the tuna salad and tomatoes.

Coming up next….Crock pot Pot Roast and Cheese Steak Sandwiches

Bookmark and Share

Paula September 26, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Another thing that I like about Rachel Ray is that she is a self-made success story. This lemony tuna salad sounds very tasty, and I bet it was great with your soup!

Candy September 26, 2008 at 10:00 pm

I’ve grown to love Rachel. She reminds me a little of being the Madonna of the cooking world in that she reinvents her branding as needed. I’m not a big tuna salad devotee but this one looks yum-O! Sorry had to do it!

Prudy September 26, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Honestly, I think she is sharp and clever and she helps people eat at home, so she gets big points for that. This salad looks healthy and delicious and I’m looking forward to your next one in the crockpot.

Aggie September 27, 2008 at 12:25 am

Paula – I love her even more because she is a self made success story. When I saw her “Chefography” on Food Network I was so impressed by her attitude and work ethic.

Candy – She is like the Madonna of the cooking world! I use Yum-O alot…my son thinks it’s funny!

Prudy – You are so right about her getting people to cook at home. Her show really got me cooking, I love that she doesn’t measure anything, my cooking style is a lot like hers. I am amazed at how she is always coming up with new dishes.

Lisa September 27, 2008 at 12:55 am

I like watching Rachael Ray in small doses and love the magazine. This is a good recipe.

Mary Ann September 27, 2008 at 4:13 am

I like her alot. I have always liked her though, even years and years ago before she was super popular. I love her magazine, that and Cooking Light are my faves, the ones I use the most. This looks like a great salad, lots of flavor! Yum-o!

Hollee September 27, 2008 at 1:07 pm

The only thing that ever bothered me about Rachel is that I always felt like she was on some sort of speed drug on her show. Made me NUTS. However, recent 30 minute meal shows – the ones AFTER her talk show came about – show a more subdue RR. I like her much better.

I will try this out, but substitute chick peas for the tuna. Mashed chickpeas (not ground smooth, like hummus)are a pretty good substitute for texture, but also provide a mild taste for those who don’t love tuna!

Aggie September 28, 2008 at 12:59 am

Lisa – Thanks! I’m excited about my new subscription to her magazine, I’m a bit of a magazine addict so looking forward to a new one to my collection!

Mary Ann – Cooking Light is a fave of mine too…I just tore a bunch of recipes out from the latest ones that I can’t wait to try!

Hollee – Yes, she is a bit “fast” at times! I like her new set. What a great idea about the chickpeas!

hot garlic September 28, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Okay, I must admit I am not a fan. I try and try but she annoys me to tears! But even when people’s personalities annoy me {Ina…}, I sometimes can’t deny that they can cook! You just can’t be all things to all people, and not everyone is going to jive with her perkiness.

Oh well, I must admit THIS is one of those meals she makes that does make we want to try and like her again, it sounds so good!

Bridgett September 28, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Chef or no chef, she can come up with some recipes to rival those schooled chefs, which I think is awesome. This salad looks delicious and I love the addition of cucumber to give it an even fresher taste.

Clumbsy Cookie September 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm

I’ve been hearing a lot lately about RR magazin. We don’t get it here or her show. The salad looks like something I would like to eat for dinner anytime.